Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times

Advertisements

I have been behind someone where it was legal to turn right on red and though their blinker was on they kept hesitating to go. I assumed that maybe they were not sure if it was a legal move or not so in these cases I have honked. Not a full blown honk but but couple little taps to say "go".

I was at the GW bridge toll booth one time and it was bumper to bumper. There was a guy trying to cut in front of everyone to get ahead first and I wouldnt let him cut in front of me. I kept inching up and ignoring him. Well I eventually had to let him in because he was driving a crappy van and was preparred to hit me. Before fully making his way in he stopped and proceeded to wave all the traffic around me for about 15 to 20 cars so that I was trapped. As he waved cars by he started throwing all the trash in his van out of his passenger side window onto my car. My wife was freaking out because we were sure what else this guy was going to do but after he depleted his trash and got bored letting cars go in front of him he stormed out of there and I never saw him again.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,023,974 times
All of you are chiding the OP, but I would get pissed off if someone blared his horn while I was waiting at a red light too. Making a turn at a red light is not like going on a green. Drivers behind the first vehicle cannot necessarily see if there are other vehicles approaching from the left / pedestrians crossing, etc. Blaring your horn is just not justified in this case.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
I used to just imitate them while they pitched a fit. Now that I am grown up more, I just nice them to death.

"Oh you are so right. I am horribly sorry. I am an idiot who should have his license revoked. I wish I could be as good a driver as you are. I will work on that. Do you have a driving school? I really should learn to be a better driver."

Just keep agreeing with them. Eventually they realize they are being immature and absurd and get embarrassed and leave. It works almost always and works way better than escalating anger.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM

29,431 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Last night I stopped at a traffic light and I was in the right lane. I could either go straight when the light turned green or I could turn right on red which I intended to do. As I stopped to be sure no cars were coming a car behind be started blowing his horn for me to go before I had time to be sure it was safe. This sorta disrespected me so I then just decided to wait until the light changed and make the horn blower wait longer.. After the light changed and I turned he also turned and then quickly passed me blowing his horn again. At this point I had to go ahead and give him the finger. It just so happened that about 1/2 mile away all traffic had stopped for a train and guess who ends up beside me at the light....the horn blower....He acts like he is afraid to look my way . I pull up beside him and raise my elbows and then act like a baseball player pounding his fist into his glove,,,,,,I bet it scared the disrespectful horn blower.. Lesson is dont be so sure you can get away from someone you disrespect while driving....He is lucky I am not a hot head or I might have thrown something at his car or worse.
I would have done the exact same thing. Sometimes I do change up the "your number one" salute for blowing them a kiss and giving them a big smile.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
All of you are chiding the OP, but I would get pissed off if someone blared his horn while I was waiting at a red light too. Making a turn at a red light is not like going on a green. Drivers behind the first vehicle cannot necessarily see if there are other vehicles approaching from the left / pedestrians crossing, etc. Blaring your horn is just not justified in this case.
Waiting for it to be an ****hole as he stated makes him at the same level.

Heck, the first road raging kid may have been looking for a fight. Maybe he was packing and is waiting for some guy like the OP to actually give him a reason to shoot. There are sick folks like that out there.

But, still, the OP stooped to the other guys level. He tried playing road cop and made the guy wait.
What if that guy did have an emergency to get to? What if he now got stuck behind that train because the OP held him up? According to the story, all this other guy did was blow his horn. No mention of this guy mouthing off or flipping him off. The OP on the other hand did.

Im sorry to say, but in this case, the OP is the guilty one of road rage.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Hi asubram3--

In general, I won't get on the horn about turns on red (including left turns on red on a one-way street) unless I can clearly see that the way is clear. And if they're clearly not paying attention. I replaced the wimpy Toyota stock horn with a much beefier one from a Ford van for that exact reason.

If there's a red light camera, I won't turn regardless even if there's a sign that says "right turn after stop". I'm waiting. There's no way I can prove I stopped before turning if the camera flashes and RedFlex tries digging its hands into my wallet.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM

29,431 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Waiting for it to be an ****hole as he stated makes him at the same level.

Heck, the first road raging kid may have been looking for a fight. Maybe he was packing and is waiting for some guy like the OP to actually give him a reason to shoot. There are sick folks like that out there.

But, still, the OP stooped to the other guys level. He tried playing road cop and made the guy wait.
What if that guy did have an emergency to get to? What if he now got stuck behind that train because the OP held him up? According to the story, all this other guy did was blow his horn. No mention of this guy mouthing off or flipping him off. The OP on the other hand did.

Im sorry to say, but in this case, the OP is the guilty one of road rage.
Just because you can turn on a red, doesn't mean you have to. If the OP did not feel it was safe to turn , waiting for the green is his call. Regardless of the reason he waited he followed the law.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,199,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
...and you're lucky he didn't have a gun, tough guy.
Where did you read that I DONT HAVE ONE? It works both ways. I reserve the right to give the finger to any person I want to when I see they need it.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Where did you read that I DONT HAVE ON? It works both ways.
No it doesn't, if either of you ended up drawing on the other it's likely you both would be in jail, you're both instigators. If you shoot someone to prevent them from causing you harm as the result of your returned road rage, that is not considered self defense, as you are a root cause of the confrontation to begin with.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Where did you read that I DONT HAVE ONE? It works both ways. I reserve the right to give the finger to any person I want to when I see they need it.
Whether or not you have a gun is irrelevant. The fact that you apparently turn into an imbecile, while driving, is what's relevant.

Somebody honked at you while you're sitting at a red light. Big deal - so the guy is a butt-hole.

So you flip him off, then make threatening gestures to him at the next stop light. That makes you an immature butt-hole.

Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.