Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking a vert might be fun, but in the end I think it's one of those things that I wouldn't use nearly as much as I first thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Also a convertible owner here; have had three convertibles with two being Corvette's and one being a Porsche. Started with a 1986 Porsche 911 Targa about eight years ago then traded for a 2005 Corvette convertible and currently own a 2008 Corvette convertible. Phoenix, much like San Diego, is one of the best places in the US to have a practical reason for owning a convertible of any type. No matter what month, I never can leave my house without spotting someone driving a convertible of some type. Quite a few are used as daily drivers since the weather is almost always cooperative.

Next on my list though:

As long as I can snatch one up for a reasonable price, come this spring I plan on having a C7 convertible in my garage.
Targa top isn't a convertible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM

11,286 posts, read 16,559,740 times
My wife and I have had a few verts over the years and all red.

64.5 Mustang
89 Mustang
03 Mustang (sold Feb 2013)

And my latest toy

73 Mustang
Attached Thumbnails
Many convertible owners out there...?-278430_1280875734_2-1-.jpg  

Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,624,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Targa top isn't a convertible.
Same difference. A Jeep Wrangler isn't necessarily a convertible either so don't jump all over me. It's a semi-convertible if you want to be particular.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,624,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've got to LOL at the "sports" cars that are also convertibles. Lets take something that's supposedly designed to go around corners fast, accelerate fast, stop fast.... then add weight and make it structurally weaker/more loose. A little contradictory, but I know it's about the image and not the function for people who own those vehicles.
Most modern convertible sports cars aren't much heavier than their fixed-roof counterparts. The mechanism for operating a convertible top used to add 100+ pounds to the vehicle but anymore, the actual difference may be as little as a couple pounds. I actually think my Corvette Convertible may be lighter than the Corvette Coupe, forgot where I read that though.

The structural rigidity may suffer a bit but the acceleration/stopping times are almost exactly the same.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've got to LOL at the "sports" cars that are also convertibles. Lets take something that's supposedly designed to go around corners fast, accelerate fast, stop fast.... then add weight and make it structurally weaker/more loose. A little contradictory, but I know it's about the image and not the function for people who own those vehicles.
You are rather ignorant.

Sports cars were traditionally convertibles because they were lighter than theri coupe counterparts. Cars like MGas, TR2 and TR3s, Ferrari Testarossas and 166 MMs (in fact all early Ferrari sports cars were convertibles, as was the first Porsche sports car). Sports car racing started out with convertibles, and evolved in to the formula cars we know today, which are ALSO open cars.

I laugh at people who don't know this stuff and think convertibles are the lesser of the sports cars.

It was only after the GT classes were introduced in the '60s that coupes got faster. And even then, Ferrari and Porsche refused to call coupes Sports cars, as they were GT cars. Sports cars were convertibles.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
BTW, I still have one of my two last convertibles, and MGB (traditional sports car, in fact), after having traded my Mustang GT convertible in on a Volt. I've always had at least one convertible in the collection, going back to my first MG Midget in '81:

Up thorugh my Daytona Spyder:

A few convertible minitrucks, like this datsun:

A number of Fiats:

The Mustang:

And the MGB (that was a friend's back when I took this picture

And when i can't have a convertible, I have to have at least a sunroof in my sedan or coupe.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
My XLR-V had the best of both worlds. Because it had a hard top, the road noise was dampened and it didn't look like total crap with the roof up (which every other cloth top convertible does).

My current car - 2011 GS Corvette - is also a convertible. I went a few years without a convertible (because I had a motorcycle) and I am never making that mistake again. I will always have one.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 PM

6,388 posts, read 6,922,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Tried to edit my post with a pic...but won't let me. Here's the convertibles we currently own:

That's a sweet car collection you have!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,339,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Same difference. A Jeep Wrangler isn't necessarily a convertible either so don't jump all over me. It's a semi-convertible if you want to be particular.

I agree. I never think of my YJ as a convertible, and think it's strange that they are advertised as such.

But if we're going the "semi-convertible" route, we should just call Wranglers "completely-convertible" lol

Here's mine:

But then, I can also put a bikini top on it, and vinyl half doors, or metal half doors, or no doors, or a hard top, or a soft top.......

or, a Bikini top with a wind jammer and a duster tonneau cover

or just leave the soft top up and take the windows out

Ahhhh....the possibilities are endless with these little machines.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM

5,654 posts, read 5,132,605 times
I got one. Just finished renovating it in time for the summer, no re-spray just sourcing of original parts, trim and the like and retro-fitting. '75 Triumph TR6

Last edited by Baldrick; 04-25-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive