Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

"Hits-and-run" have become more commonplace since the drunk-driving laws have gotten more strict. While you can get points and lose your license for a hit and run, the punishment is still less costly than a DWI, and by the time they are caught, you usually can't prove they were driving drunk at the time of the accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Hits-and-run" have become more commonplace since the drunk-driving laws have gotten more strict. While you can get points and lose your license for a hit and run, the punishment is still less costly than a DWI, and by the time they are caught, you usually can't prove they were driving drunk at the time of the accident.
Law makers in New York are attempting to have legislation passed that the default position is if you leave the scene of an accident you will be charged with DWI. I personally don't think it will pass but it is an interesting thought.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM

145 posts, read 260,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, thats exactly what the police said to me as well....

Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Call your insurance company, and ask an adjuster who determins who is at fault. Your adj will take into consideration what the police report says, but the final decision is the adjuster who is handeling the claim
You are 100% wrong. The insurance company doesn't investigate the accident, they have no knowledge what ever except what they read in the police report. Police determine the fault...

Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
She's lucky you handled it the way you did. If you'd memorized her license plate number and called the police she could be facing charges for leaving the scene of an accident. Don't worry about your actions at all.
If she felt unsafe she did the right thing. That's exactly what I would tell my daughter or spouse to do, wouldn't you? Given the minor nature of impact and absence of injuries, the duty to exchange info is far outweighed by personal security. It doesn't sound like she made any attempt to elude him but simply drove to a safe place. Many police departments advise that you can do this even if being pulled over by officers.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You are 100% wrong. The insurance company doesn't investigate the accident, they have no knowledge what ever except what they read in the police report. Police determine the fault...

Its good to know I am 100% wrong, would you like to see my Texas Insurance Adjusters licence that proves you 100% wrong?

I never said they investigate(but they do), They take into account statents from drivers/passangers/witness and the police report. They use tools like Google Maps, and use that info to determin liability. The police can issue tickets, but the ultimate decision lies with teh adjuster/insurance company

How to Determine Who Is at Fault in a Car Accident: 5 steps

Determining who is at fault in a car accident is essential to deciding who will pay for any damage incurred. In general, the driver responsible for the accident has to pay for all damages. However, many states have complicated systems of determining fault, whereby a percentage of the blame can be assigned to each driver, resulting in different monetary obligations for each party. Ultimately, the drivers' insurance companies, which make claims for damages, decide each driver's liability. These steps describe the general principles behind determining fault in an accident, including major factors to look out for immediately after the accident.

:waves:

Last edited by Me007gold; 03-28-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Soviet, that is correct. To make a long story short, last night at approximately 8:45 pm I was approaching a full stop at the intersection in my lane when another female driver in the left lane--collided into the side of my rear bumper. When I turned my head to the left, we both made eye contact after she had realized what she had done.

When the green light went on, she drove through the intersection and I followed her behind, expecting for her to pull over so that we could exchange information. That did not happen. For a good 5 miles, I followed her behind but kept my distance so that I didn't appear threatening. The entire time, I was wondering when she would pull over so we could exchange information. That wasn't the case until she onto the driveway of her residence where I got her info to call my insurance company and then the police department.

Today, the facts of the incident were determined by both insurance companies, and the other driver's insurance company have accepted liability.

The reason why I've created in this thread is to solicit opinions on what I should have done instead. I know women generally don't feel safe at night. Lately, my gut feelings have been telling me that maybe I should've moved closer to driver's rear to memorize the license plate and then pull over to call the police instead of following her home.

Opinions? This was the first time I have been hit by another driver and I wasn't sure how to proceed when someone leaves the scene of the accident.
First and foremost, you should get the other vehicle's license plate at all costs and report it to police immediately. If you don't have pen and paper handy, then enter it into your cell phone or write it down. Follow the person until you are able to relay the information to police. Then let them go. Following them does nothing. Chances are, you had minor damage and it is an insurance matter. The police can pursue the hit-and-run driver criminally if they want, but it is not your concern.

Now what would I do? I would follow the S.O.B. until they run off the road. But that is just me and you shouldn't use me as an example, lol.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If no one is hurt, both cars are still drivable and both partys are being "nice" there is no need to contact the police, just exchange info and be on your way. Remember police do not determine who is at fault, the insurance companys do
While you are technically correct, this is the worst advice imaginable. You should ALWAYS report an accident immediately to police. You have nothing to lose and at the very least it gets documented. You can file an insurance claim later on, but the legitimacy of your claim will be weakened by the fact that you did not report it. Also, what happens when injuries surface a day or two later that you did not realize at the time of the accident?

I was hit by a "nice" driver who told me she'd pay privately to avoid insurance or police involvement. She gave me her address and phone number. Needless to say, she didn't answer my calls and when I went by her house, her "associate" told me she was dead broke and couldn't pay. In the end, things turned out ok for me, but lesson learned.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 AM

342 posts, read 803,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not 100% true in minor accidents that don't require wreckers. My co-worker had a minor accident from getting hit from behind where she wasn't at fault and the police told her to have the insurance settle it. I know this because I had to drive to the scene of the accident because she was scare from the rush hour traffic and not knowing what to do. When the motorcycle police showed up, he was checking on our well-being and checking to see the traffic flow. Then when we asked police about writing a report, he told us let the insurance settle it. The person at fault cooperated and paid fully for the accident. Regardless, I still call police if the situation happened to me.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 986 times
what if a car hit me and i was drunk and i left what would happen to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive