Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Yes, I agree, you do have a reading comprehension problem. There are ZERO "annual safety inspections" in any state in which I've owned a vehicle. Kinda hard to "never do away with" something that doesn't exist.
Texas has one. Just because you lived in states that dont do saftey inspections, dosen't mean there arn't states that do those inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
NJ had rigorous yearly safety inspections since as far back as I can remember (im 38). Last year they did away with the safety aspect of it (emissions and documentation only now) but they still record the ODO and test if there are any problem codes in the computer.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Can keep the electronic Speedos at low miles VERY ez, just pull out the speedo / gauge cluster fuse for 20k - 200k miles. Plug in the fuse or add a switch that allows you to check the fuel level every few days.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I've found even more rollbacks today, it's really becoming an epidemic.
FWIW, if you are looking at cars 10, 15 or more years old, the miles hardly tell the most important tale - you need to inspect the actual condition of the car, identify the problems it has, figure out if there are any deal-breakers (you have to define deal breaker yourself - for me it's a bent or rusty body, but you need to decide what it is you don't want to deal with) and figure out what it will cost to take care of the immediate repairs, and which repairs you will want to do but can wait, and what issues you are willing to just live with.

Some older cars have already had some big-ticket repair jobs done, for example maybe a new clutch.

And, as I have posted many times, all miles are hardly created equal. A car that's done 100K in downtown Seattle is going to be much more tired than one that did 150K of mostly highway miles here in the rural, dry East side of WA.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Dealers have been using this trick for many years.They just want you be interested enough to come down and talk..Thats the first step in selling you another car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive