Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times

Advertisements

Yet another reason to never do business with a car dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I've received one cold call, several emails from the local Toyota dealership and letters from Toyota AND Honda AND Capital One to finance a HONDA for my 2007 Camry. I bit and emailed the Toyota folks and asked the guy what can you do for me? He says, we'll have to see how much of a down payment you would need, what interest rate we can get based on your credit, how much we can give you on your trade, blah, blah...
Wrong answer. I didn't answer back. If they wanted my car that bad, I guess I expecetd to be wooed a little more, like we'll give you $XXX for your trade off the back, or something like that. I wouldn't expect I would have to haggle if they're soliciting me for my car.
I know someone who was getting the same offers for her Honda from the Honda dealership. Once she got to the dealership they told her to pick one, no money down. She drove off with a new 2012 Accord. In the end, she has a higher monthly payment but she said the whole process was easy. No haggling.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've been driving my 2012 Mazda 3 iSport since October 2011. I got a call yesterday from someone in the sales dept.; they're desperate for cars exactly like mine!

He talked a lot about a better interest rate (0% vs. the 1.74% I'm paying now), and dealership cash incentives ($3,000 - $4,0000) on a 2013 Mazda 6. Whoa, what? The Mazda 6 gets worse gas mileage, and it's a foot longer, and a couple of inches wider than my 3! Why would I do this again? "New car, warranty..." Yadda yadda yadda... Oh, and I should take advantage of this deal right now, because they're running low on the 2013 Mazda 6s! Uh huh. They're just trying to unload those cars to make way for the revamped 2014 version. They must count on finding people who don't do their homework (or people who don't care!).

This is fascinating. First of all, they must keep tabs on every new car they sell, because how else would he know to call me? I'm finally on the right side of the loan (I owe $11,800, and the car is worth about $12,000 as a trade-in, maybe a little more).

My car only has 17,000 miles on it. So far I love it; it has never given me any problems. Why would I want to start over again on my payments? Oh, a new car? Meh. I'm not one of those people who has to change cars every two or three years. I buy a new car, pay it off, and then drive it for five or six more years.

Even if I bought a new Mazda 3, with the better engine, it wouldn't make sense. At today's gas prices (currently about $4 where I live here in California - Land of Taxes!), I'd save $300 a year. That's a whopping $25 a month. And I'd be paying on the new car for five years.

I wouldn't mind getting a new Mazda 3 iSport, because the newer model includes cruise control, something my car doesn't have. However, just that alone isn't worth it; I don't drive a lot and how often would I even use the cruise control? Upgrading to a higher trim level would give me more choices of colors, but again, why?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever done this - gotten The Call, and actually traded their car in for a new one? If so, how did it go? Are you happy with your choice?

The dealership wants you to spend money on a new car. That's all.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
The only person who has ever expressed an interest in buying my car is Nigerian George.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The only person who has ever expressed an interest in buying my car is Nigerian George.
Hey I know that guy. I can vouch for him, he's totally legit

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

This is fascinating. First of all, they must keep tabs on every new car they sell, because how else would he know to call me?
I find it fascinating that you would think they don't keep records of all the cars they sell. That would just be bizarre if they didn't.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Did you also get a letter in the mail saying you are "preapproved"?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I get those letters all the time from the Ford dealer needing my 2003 F150 with 165K on the odometer. Apparently there's a lot of people looking for an almost 11 year old, high mileage truck.
I get the letters saying that 2002 GM SUVs like mine are in high demand, (Even with 200K+ on the odometer?) I read the find print and discovered that with the deduction for high mileage I'd have to pay them something like $4K to take it.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:07 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
I got a letter once for my Baja. Like anyone really gets up in the morning and says "I want a Subaru Baja." I went to listen to their offer and they only wanted it if they could get me in a new Subaru Impreza WRX STI hatchback. I walked out.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I got a letter once for my Baja. Like anyone really gets up in the morning and says "I want a Subaru Baja." I went to listen to their offer and they only wanted it if they could get me in a new Subaru Impreza WRX STI hatchback. I walked out.
LOL. Thanks for the laugh! (Truth be told, I had a wierd interest in them when they came out, but never pursued buying one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive