Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:52 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

So about what time frame was it that cars ceased being old school and we ushered in the era of new school cars?

I think most people are comparing cars of the 2010's to cars of the 1960's. But when did we actually lose that old school vibe of cars?

Was it in the 1970's when emissions standards were tightened and muscle cars saw huge drops in power? Was it in the late 1970's when the gas crisis forced many automakers to kill their customers' beloved muscle cars? Was it in the 1980's when the Japanese began to establish a market in the United States? Was it in the 1990's when cars began using fiber glass through out much of their body?

When did the switch happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
It all depends on the person being asked the question. There is no debate that the cars being built today are a notch up the sophistication ladder from those of the 60's. The engines produce more power from less gas, they ride and handle great, and you can have the ac on and crank out 12 second quarter miles with a lot of them. It is like comparing a 1960 car to one from the 20's, the manufacturers learned a lot along the way.

But as far as charm or soul, the ones from the old days are simply cool. I can pull up to a red light in my 27 Ford hot rod, next to a Ferrari, and I get more looks and thumbs up. People just relate to old cars more and it is probably because of the memories it brings back for them. Old cars ride stiffer, are noisier, not as safe (no abs, crumple zones, air bags, etc) and require more attention to keep them alive. But they sure are fun.

Don

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It all depends on the person being asked the question. There is no debate that the cars being built today are a notch up the sophistication ladder from those of the 60's. The engines produce more power from less gas, they ride and handle great, and you can have the ac on and crank out 12 second quarter miles with a lot of them. It is like comparing a 1960 car to one from the 20's, the manufacturers learned a lot along the way.

But as far as charm or soul, the ones from the old days are simply cool. I can pull up to a red light in my 27 Ford hot rod, next to a Ferrari, and I get more looks and thumbs up. People just relate to old cars more and it is probably because of the memories it brings back for them. Old cars ride stiffer, are noisier, not as safe (no abs, crumple zones, air bags, etc) and require more attention to keep them alive. But they sure are fun.

Don

Old cars look way cooler and had tons of character especially ones from the 30's-60's, and even some 70's models compared to bland cheaply looking made cars of today.

I don't agree with you that old cars ride "Stiffer", are noisier, and not "Safe". My old Lincolns, especially my 78 Lincoln Continental is like driving in a Tomb. It rides awesomely and is ultra comfortable to drive, better than any new car out there that's for sure. If I ever got in a accident in my 78, I definitely feel like it would protect me, as it is very heavy and surrounded by nothing but thick steel that would litterally and easily obliterate through any modern day vehicle.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The last year of the muscle car era was 1969. The Clean Air Act was in 1970 and was an expected event by the auto makers. In 1971, you could buy a regular Ford LTD or you could buy one that used low lead gas. In 1973, the gas was mandated for cars to be unleaded. It was in 1974 you could buy an F-100 truck that used regular leaded gas or you bought an F-150 that was designed for unleaded gas. The F-100 was rated at more carrying capacity and didn't have to meet the gas standards.
In 1971, the Feds required the auto makers to use HP/torque numbers as the engine sat in the car with all accessories on the engine. They could no longer super tune one on an engine stand and then legally add another 10%. The 460 Ford for an example in 1971 fell to a whopping 206HP that previously was rated at 365HP. The big Olds 455 was a gigantic 195HP in 1971.
The first Honda was marketed in the USA in 1969 but was not well received. It wasn't until 1973 that it actually was on US soil. The first Honda was the 600 series car and sold for the first year only. It had a 2 cylinder engine that made 36HP. The Civic came the next year but it had a 50HP engine that could actually get out of its own way. It turned the 0-60 race at a little over 20 seconds and a top speed of 75mph on its 10" wheels and tires. It was in 1973 the US was hit with the Arab oil embargo and gas shortages became common. WE got to see advertising on TV how we were about to run out of oil but if we paid more for it, the oil companies could come up with more energy sources- yeah, right, we're still waiting. That's when the Clean Air Act and the oil embargo like to have ruined this nation. You couldn't buy gas and what gas you did buy was going thru the crap cars we were stuck with like it was free. It was common for a car at hiway speeds to get a dismal 10 MPG. Then the cars started shrinking and the foreign cars becoming more popular. Lots of folks took up driving 4 banger sports cars to work. It was still a fun drive and they got decent fuel mileage by comparison to the US pigs we were offered.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM

307 posts, read 685,227 times
I would go new school for a daily driver, but I voted old school cause the cars were so much cooler then. More character.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The last year of the muscle car era was 1969. The Clean Air Act was in 1970 and was an expected event by the auto makers. In 1971, you could buy a regular Ford LTD or you could buy one that used low lead gas. In 1973, the gas was mandated for cars to be unleaded. It was in 1974 you could buy an F-100 truck that used regular leaded gas or you bought an F-150 that was designed for unleaded gas. The F-100 was rated at more carrying capacity and didn't have to meet the gas standards.
In 1971, the Feds required the auto makers to use HP/torque numbers as the engine sat in the car with all accessories on the engine. They could no longer super tune one on an engine stand and then legally add another 10%. The 460 Ford for an example in 1971 fell to a whopping 206HP that previously was rated at 365HP. The big Olds 455 was a gigantic 195HP in 1971.
The first Honda was marketed in the USA in 1969 but was not well received. It wasn't until 1973 that it actually was on US soil. The first Honda was the 600 series car and sold for the first year only. It had a 2 cylinder engine that made 36HP. The Civic came the next year but it had a 50HP engine that could actually get out of its own way. It turned the 0-60 race at a little over 20 seconds and a top speed of 75mph on its 10" wheels and tires. It was in 1973 the US was hit with the Arab oil embargo and gas shortages became common. WE got to see advertising on TV how we were about to run out of oil but if we paid more for it, the oil companies could come up with more energy sources- yeah, right, we're still waiting. That's when the Clean Air Act and the oil embargo like to have ruined this nation. You couldn't buy gas and what gas you did buy was going thru the crap cars we were stuck with like it was free. It was common for a car at hiway speeds to get a dismal 10 MPG. Then the cars started shrinking and the foreign cars becoming more popular. Lots of folks took up driving 4 banger sports cars to work. It was still a fun drive and they got decent fuel mileage by comparison to the US pigs we were offered.
Sounds like a really bad time to be a car enthusiast. Your story is so depression, sounds like a bad time for America and car manufacturers.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Ever heard of the Chrysler bailout and Lee Iaccoca? The year was 1979. It reduced Chrysler to an econobox car maker. They've never recovered from their lousy reputation as a car maker. The K car was their mainship complete with a Mitsubishi engine in a front wheel drive POS. But folks and corporations bought them and pulled Chrysler out. The one car that it cost Chrysler that I always liked was the Imperial. The Imperial went away as a luxury car that could actually rival the Caddy and Lincoln in 1975 as Chrysler just didn't have the cash to make them. The Imperial came back for 3 years in the 80's but it was not near the luxury or status of the others. It was nothing more than a gussied up Cordoba and a tin can at that. Considering the history of Chrysler since 1979, it's a wonder they still make cars. While Iaccoca pulled the company out, after the Daimler deal, they were pretty much left with nothing as Daimler raped the company.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Sounds like a really bad time to be a car enthusiast. Your story is so depression, sounds like a bad time for America and car manufacturers.
It was pretty bad. I have car magazines from that era (and before) and many auto journalists were almost in shock when they road tested a new '72-'75 "muscle car." 13- and 14-second 1/4 mile times became 16 and 17! Some still ran good times (the '73 Pontiac Firebird 455 SD, for example) but most were way down on performance.

The horsepower "drop" mentioned above (the 460 Ford) is comparing gross (375) vs net (206). They lost quite a bit of horsepower, but not 169 hp!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:30 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Old cars look way cooler and had tons of character especially ones from the 30's-60's, and even some 70's models compared to bland cheaply looking made cars of today.

I don't agree with you that old cars ride "Stiffer", are noisier, and not "Safe". My old Lincolns, especially my 78 Lincoln Continental is like driving in a Tomb. It rides awesomely and is ultra comfortable to drive, better than any new car out there that's for sure. If I ever got in a accident in my 78, I definitely feel like it would protect me, as it is very heavy and surrounded by nothing but thick steel that would litterally and easily obliterate through any modern day vehicle.
I say the same thing regarding my 77 Coupe DeVille. But I recently saw a video that took the smile off my face. Someone took a 59 Chevy and ran it head-on into an 09 Malibu, and the result was nowhere near what I expected. Someone did the same thing with a 62 Sedan DeVille and an 02 Deville. I was quite surprised. These videos are easily found on Youtube, look them up. I'm still confused about the obvious results, it shook up everything I ever believed about older and newer cars.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Old vs New Chevrolet Crash - YouTube

Busting the myth that cars were "made" better back in the old days and could handle crashes better. After watching this video I'm very thankful for how far automobile safety has come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive