Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

Which generation do you prefer?

The 1960's and 1970's were obviously where the muscle cars and all the true fans of muscle cars came from and were born from, it was that generation that spawned the word, the bought these vehicles in the hundreds of thousands per year, that spawned a decades long rivalry between two makers' cars.

The 2000's and 2010's have shown what modern technology can do to a muscle car. I think we've seen the full fledged revival and to a large extent, enthusiasm is back and nearly as strong as the first time. The muscle cars of today are not only much faster, but have excellent handling characteristics as well, all while being safer, more fuel efficient, and more comfortable.

There are SO many different models of the cars out there. The Mustang has at least 5 or more packaged between all their cars. The base v6, the GT, the GT track pac, the Boss 302, the GT350, the GT500, and I probably missed a few others. The Camaro has the base V6, the SS, the 1LE, the ZL1, and in 2014 the Z28. Then you have the Charger and Challenger and their 3 forms as well.

Do you think the cars from this generation will be sought after prized collector cars 30-40 years from now, worth even more than the old and rare muscle cars from the 1960's? Seeing the price tag on the ZL1, Z28, and GT500 I think those cars will be worth a LOT more in the future, they won't be made forever, a limited time when technology was advancing quickly and fuel remained relatively cheap.

Older cars were SO much simpler to work on, you didn't have to worry about emissions, safety parts, airbags, crash test ratings, etc, they were lighter, and cheaper to modify. New school cars are safer, cleaner, but much more complicated to work on, making tasks that might have been simple 40 years ago rather complex nowadays.

Anyways, which generation do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Like many questions in life, the answer is "Both" or "It depends".

If I were going to have an everyday driver, I'd pick a new car without a doubt. I want something which is safe, comfortable, decently fuel efficient, and loaded with modern conveniences. I enjoy having heated/cooled seats, navigation systems, Bluetooth, air conditioning, satellite radio, numerous airbags, and all of the other goodies that new vehicles can be equipped with.

On the flip side, if I could chose a vehicle that would only be driven a few times each month when the weather is cooperative, I'd definitely love to have a 1969 GTO, 1963 or 1967 Corvette, or a 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda in my garage. I don't think I'd want to drive a classic muscle/sports car everyday simply because Arizona, in the summertime, is a place where a decent air conditioning system is a necessity.

At some point in my life, I plan to have a classic vehicle in my garage (probably a 2nd generation 'Vette). But at this point in time, it's a luxury I don't have the bank account to afford.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
I'm going to be a pain in the arse and go for the 80s-90s with regards to European equivalents. Quite a few marques and models from then are highly collectible and very usable.

For an era where the cars looked the part and were every day usable? 80s & 90s for me.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Old school as I have a 73 Mustang Mach I Convert Tribute.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I'm going to be a pain in the arse and go for the 80s-90s with regards to European equivalents. Quite a few marques and models from then are highly collectible and very usable.

For an era where the cars looked the part and were every day usable? 80s & 90s for me.

The 1980's was kind of the divide between the two eras. The early 1980's is where performance cars were at some of their weakest points ever, and the mid to late 1980's is when cars finally started receiving performance upgrade and became competitive again. Not until the 1990's were things really back in the swing, i'd say. Why did you pick the 80's?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Both for me, but I'd pick '80's more than 60's or 70's too, but any reasoning probably boils down to my age. I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

Sure, there were some lean offerings as far as ultimate performance is concerned due to choking emissions equipment. Still, I loved (and still do) many of the offerings of that era... (The new for 82 Mustang, 84 Corvette and Fiero, Toyota MR2, how different the styling was on the 89 Probe's (or the manufacturer hopes to replace RWD muscle cars with FWDers like the Probe) or the original Miata (well that was 1990 I think).

I do appreciate older muscle cars too, but really do not have a personal connection with them. Also, the entry price for a decent one is so pricey now (how much is that decent shape '69 Charger?!?) that they do not seem to be a bargain, even if mechanically more simple.

I have an 85 Fiero (V6) which is a blast to drive, and nice contrast to my new Charger as far as being "simple" without all the added electronic stuff (including nannies).

Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The 1980's was kind of the divide between the two eras. The early 1980's is where performance cars were at some of their weakest points ever, and the mid to late 1980's is when cars finally started receiving performance upgrade and became competitive again. Not until the 1990's were things really back in the swing, i'd say. Why did you pick the 80's?
Over here (Europe) the 80s was the start of the era of small and mid sized cars with good useable performance, the performance that was previously only got from performance marques. Here it was the time when you got track day power and handling at not that much more than the price of a standard model. Road going versions of WRC and Touring Car Championship cars were available to the regular enthusiast. Performance wasn't just for the wealthy sports car owner anymore, the everyman could now afford it.

Cars like:
Saab 900 Turbo
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Mk1 Golf GTi
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Lancia Integrale
BMW M30 E3
Audi Quatro 20v
Ford Sierra Cosworth

Old 03-29-2013, 01:28 PM

169 posts, read 284,002 times
I want a modern era car with a true stand up hood ornament, white wall tires, and wire wheel covers. It has to look like a true classic with the modern goodies. I like the big classic 70's look.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I like "old school" styling but I don't miss cars that rust out in only a few years, break down regularly and are lucky to make it to 100K miles even with obsessive maintenance.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I like "old school" styling but I don't miss cars that rust out in only a few years, break down regularly and are lucky to make it to 100K miles even with obsessive maintenance.

What he said. And I wouldn't necessarily want a muscle or pony car but just a "regular car" like a Grand Prix/Monte Carlo/Cutlass or a mid 70's LTD or Thunderbird. Well, maybe a Firebird/Trans Am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive