Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
What gets me is I can no longer buy a cheap pickup with a manual transmission. I bought my last pickup for 14,000 dollars and now I don't see any for under 20K. I don't need all the extras. I want a vehicle with a box and manual...... can't get it.
Cry me a river. My first new pickup was a 1968 Chevy Deluxe model. It was a half ton long box, had upgraded cloth seats, V8, oversized wheels and tires, 2-tone. It was plain but nice. I'd sat down and ordered exactly what I wanted on it, as was the custom with new vehicles back then. IIRC it listed right at $2500 and my price was $2100.

Of course fuel back then was under 20 cents a gallon too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,749,784 times
I love my truck...it's a 1999 that we picked up on Craislist for $1400. It's an extended cab and the bed is longer than the single cab '95 that we bought 15 years ago. Everything fits in it. I can fit the kids, the hubby and the dogs into the cab, with room in the bed for four bikes and an ice chest. It doesn't get great mileage but it's not much worse than my van which is a v6. I put bigger wheels on it, spray painted the faded black trim on the bumpers, and sanded down the faded headlights and taillights and it looks pretty good.

My friend has a newer truck and I don't like it as much because it's harder to get into and there's less room in the back seat of the crew cab.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,459,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
That may be true with the gas engines, I don't know, but I do know that the newer diesels don't do nearly as well as the older ones -- government regs being the cause.
Not quite so. While gubmint regs brought us ULSD, engineering and whatnot had to catch up to the rest of the game. Newer diesels actually got right back on the ball after a couple of years of lagging MPGs. Of course, I have no desire to maintain a diesel newer than say a 6.0L Navistar in a Super Duty, if I had to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Your not going to find any manual transmissions in the light truck segment anymore. Don't blame the automakers, look to the dimwits that have lived off of the taxpayers in DC for that answer. The auto maker cannot warranty emissions at the tailpipe if the driver is in control of the engine speed, not to be confused with vehicle speed. With an auto transmission, the PCM can control emissions and engine speed. That's why you can't have one. But all of the makers sell a base model truck. But I'd agree they have become bloated pigs and near worthless as a TRUCK.
True enough. Besides, with all the folks that humblebrag about being able to drive a stickshifter, I know I've caught quite a few who were proud to drive a four-cylinder Ranger at no more than 2,000 RPMs ever. That defeats the purpose of an engine that peaks tq/hp RPMs at ~5200/~3000, respectively. Hence, the Ford v10esque MPGs, but I digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Not half ton.
Yes, it is. Just not as capable as a full-size truck.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,283,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Not half ton.
He never said anything about it, he just said a box and manual.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
You know the world is upside-down when you can buy a Ford Ranger in Britain but not the USA.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 AM

97 posts, read 198,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know the world is upside-down when you can buy a Ford Ranger in Britain but not the USA.
Very true...I like to have one of those...regular cab,7ft bed and a diesel.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 AM

16,893 posts, read 16,019,561 times
I love my Ford Ranger. I don't like big pickups.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
What happened to pickups?

They started selling them mainly to people who have no need for a truck. If you're a suburbanite and want something as comfortable as your last luxury car, while making you feel you're some rugged guy, you're not going to look for the same things a carpenter, plumber, farmer, or electrician needs in a truck.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,128,519 times
WyoNewk, is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
That may be true with the gas engines, I don't know, but I do know that the newer diesels don't do nearly as well as the older ones -- government regs being the cause.

ulsd had nothing to do with lowering fuel millage.
What did was using fuel to clean out the dpf of soot, burning soot to turn it into a ash lowered millage.
Then the use of EGR also lowered millage.
A new diesel is lucky to get 16-17mpg on a good day.
Most Avg 13-16mpg.

IF, if you remove the emission equipment then you can get 18-20 mpg out of a new truck like in the good old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Not quite so. While gubmint regs brought us ULSD, engineering and whatnot had to catch up to the rest of the game. Newer diesels actually got right back on the ball after a couple of years of lagging MPGs. Of course, I have no desire to maintain a diesel newer than say a 6.0L Navistar in a Super Duty, if I had to...

But why when you can buy a full size truck that gets the same or better millage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 AM

7,925 posts, read 12,623,917 times
I am looking for a full sized pickup. I can't believe the price for the one you listed either- 18,000 dollars for a 2012 four cylinder......

In general I don't understand pickup truck pricing. There isn't a whole lot more metal in a truck than a sedan and it is easier to stamp. You have half the seats (in a regular cab), half the interior trim ect yet the prices are higher than a sedan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive