Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Alright, I'll bite. What law have I supposedly broken?

And before you reply, keep in mind what they say about that word assume.
I wasn't referring specifically to you, but impeding traffic is against the law. It seemed like you were arguing that it's okay to do that, or that it is a lesser offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And if you "can't" or won't obey the speed limit and tailgating laws - go back to driver's ed.

Why do you people insist on ignoring one section of the law - the speed limit - and put all of the blame on those who don't speed no matter what lane they're in? Why don't you say "You know, if I drive the speed limit, and those driving lower than the speed limit move into the right lane, everything will be fine" instead of saying, "Anyone who is driving the speed limit needs to get out of my way and THEY are the sole cause of the problem because THE LAW SAYS slow traffic move right" and also not saying "If I'm speeding and I come up behind someone in the left lane driving the speed limit, THE LAW SAYS that I'm the one at fault and I should slow down"?

And then you blame the people pointing out that there are two parts of the law, including the speed limit (well, three, if you include the law against tailgating) for ignoring the law regarding slow (that is, below the speed limit) traffic moving right and tie yourself into a pretzel trying to justify ignoring the speed limit and tailgating laws.

Why is that? What does that say about you? Why do you think that people should obey the slow traffic move right law but it is fine and dandy, nay, mandatory, to ignore the speed limit law?
Drover was right. Same old over and over again.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
The thread is fundamentally about what idiots who hang out in the left lane cause for traffic.

Why would "I" specifically end up in that predicament? I don't tailgate so I don't get your point. You are acting as if I tailgate and should take ownership of some consequence that has nothing to do with me.

I can understand why people tailgate...sure. I just think that both parties cause a big mess.

Why is your focus unilaterally on the tailgater? I am curious. Care to explain? Seems like a sign that you sit there and hog the left lane to me.
I dunno, maybe because it's the topic of the thread? Maybe because people are trying to use the bad behavior of others as justification for their own. I cannot think of a valid justification for either behavior, but people get all defensive about their own tailgating, as if the other driver being in their way makes it okay to drive so dangerously.

As I've already pointed out in previous posts, I use the left lane for what it's intended for: passing or turning left. If I'm not doing one of those things, I'm not in the left lane, even on roads where there is no "keep right" law (In Maine, keep right is only the law on roads where the speed limit is 65 or higher).

I never said left lane hogs weren't a nuisance; they most certainly are. In my perfect world, both the left lane hog and the guy tailgating him would be pulled over and fined.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Why do you people insist on ignoring one section of the law - the speed limit - and put all of the blame on those who don't speed no matter what lane they're in?
Do you understand that left lane is for passing only? So it is not for cruising? So if you ain't passing another vehicle you should not be on the left lane, no?

Secondly: do you understand that we as drivers are not cops and cannot regulate traffic?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...because THE LAW SAYS slow traffic move right" and also not saying "If I'm speeding and I come up behind someone in the left lane driving the speed limit, THE LAW SAYS that I'm the one at fault and I should slow down"?
The motor vehicle laws say different things in different ways in different places.
What doesn't change anywhere are the laws of physics.

Quote:
Why do you think that people should obey the slow traffic move right law...
Because not making way is objectively MORE dangerous than what the speeder is doing.
It's that simple. Be "right" (as you interpret that) or be dead. Your choice.

Driving is an interactive endeavor... be aware of and involved with what's going on around you.

Quote:
...but it is fine and dandy, nay, mandatory, to ignore the speed limit law?
pardon? The issue isn't the speeder. It's the intransigent sitter.

(sort of like the intransigent RV owner parking in the front yard)

Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Does something have to be a law in order to be considered?

What happened to good-old common sense? What about being polite towards others?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
I was driving along in the right lane, cars were backing up behind me so I pulled into the left lane to be polite and considerate and let them pass on my right, so they didn't have to change lanes to get around me..

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM

32 posts, read 55,143 times
Was taught to never hog the left lane. Really hate tailgaters. When I get tg'd I throw on my left signal & watch them go crazy lol

Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM

427 posts, read 947,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
You are right there. I sometimes make calls to law enforcement when someone violates the law by sitting there like a jelly bean and it is severe enough. I have noticed that law enforcement doesn't seem to take any more kindly around here to people who hog the left lane than they do to speeders. The person hanging out in the left lane is instigating the situation so they are the greater offender in my book. Maybe they shouldn't start what they can't finish? Spit in my face and I will knock you out. If I saw someone else do the same, I wouldn't blame them.

My issue with the tailgaters who hit their brakes every 2 seconds for following too closely (as the result of the person in front of them who has the real head problem). That could also be the jerk in front doing the same thing but it generally isn't.

Not sure why your focus is unilaterally on one offender and not the other. Care to explain?
Oh pipe down, you're not knocking anybody out so ditch the false bravado. Hanging out in the left lane may be blocking traffic for some period but it's not endangering anyone. Tailgating is.

And you need a new book.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
It's wrong to sit in left lane but equally wrong or worse is to do "things" when you are stuck behind one. And even worse is to think that your actions are justified because someone was doing something that he/she was not supposed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive