Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times

Advertisements

i think the state of SC must train it's drivers that stop means yield, and yellow means go.... ive never seen so many "red light/stop sign runners" in my life since i moved here lol.

but back to post, while they dont always make sense, I'd rather have to stop (and hope the other drivers do as well), then just yield and expect courtesy to play a part in who goes and who doesnt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
A yield sign acts as a stop sign when necessary even at four way stops.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM

238 posts, read 589,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saytendedebel View Post
I firmly believe that 95% of all stop signs could be changed to yield sign. How many times have you approached an intersection where you can see for miles and there is no other traffic but you?? You could go thru with complete safety. But that little piece of metal says no. So you come to a complete stop, check to see if traffic is coming (it's not) and proceed thru.
Another senario - it's late at night, the roads are dark, you're the only vehicle. Again you must come to a complete stop rather than just going thru. Think how much gas is wasted this way. Most stop signs could be changed to yield and greatly improve traffic flow. We all yield at yield signs now so what's the difference?

Another pet peeve is four way stops. They are a complete waste of time. Have the traffic departments figure out which direction has the most traffic and give this way the right of way. Let the lesser amount of cars stop. Eliminates half the stop & greatly improves gas millage.

Stop signs ( including 4 way stops ) has never been an inconvenience for me.

I'll bet they have prevented many accidents,also.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM

359 posts, read 779,197 times
I know a few people who would slow down enough at a stop sign as long as there's no one around anD JUST ROLL into it.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Give me a properly engineered roundabout any day over a traffic control device that requires at least half the approaching traffic to come to a complete stop.
100% agree, the roundabout system is very good.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Because so many people get killed because they do not stop at stop signs I cant see where changing them would do anything but increase the deaths overall
Usually the people getting killed aren't paying attention and if they were yielding would have been fine. For them, it's not a matter of stopping or yielding but of doing anything to pay attention.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Stop signs... (I cannot COUNT the number of times I've been stopped for a 'rolling-stop', fortunately NEVER cited (yet).) I just have a bad habit of NEVER wanting to use my clutch, in car / truck and never putting my foot down on motorcycle.
The problem is that there is the spirit of the law and the literal interpretation of it.

Stop signs are about stopping to ensure the intersection is clear before entering. Usually a Yield sign can also be used, but they aren't because a traffic engineer sides with caution over expediency.

So the idea with a stop is, you make sure things are clear and you won't get creamed if you enter the intersection. If conditions are good, you don't need to come to a full, 1 second stop do to this, but in the worst case scenario, you would. The logical driver never just enters an intersection without checking first, and that sometimes means pausing for several seconds.

Unfortunately not everyone is logical, or intelligent, so the directions for handling a stop sign are spelled out in rules that can be pointed to and enforced. That is why you see the weird language in stop laws and why literal people (cough, police, cough) cite people for rolling through a stop sign even though it may be perfectly safe to do so.

The way stop laws are written, someone could follow the law by stopping, then pull right out into traffic. Its more about common sense and being safe than following a bunch of steps.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
In a world where people paid attention behind the wheel, and knew the traffic rules, then you could get away with more yield signs.

However, considering the state of the motoring public, replacing stop signs would cause an epidemic of horrific t-bone crashes! At least in my area!

Going to more round-a-bouts in place of stop lights or signs is another way aruond it, and sort of forces a little extra caution with yield signs. I have seen more round-abouts spring up too, but like regular yields, the general population seems very confused at how to drive through them!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
I firmly believe that 95% of all stop signs could be changed to yield sign. How many times have you approached an intersection where you can see for miles and there is no other traffic but you?? You could go thru with complete safety. But that little piece of metal says no. So you come to a complete stop, check to see if traffic is coming (it's not) and proceed thru.
Another senario - it's late at night, the roads are dark, you're the only vehicle. Again you must come to a complete stop rather than just going thru. Think how much gas is wasted this way. Most stop signs could be changed to yield and greatly improve traffic flow. We all yield at yield signs now so what's the difference?
Not going to happen. 30 - 40 years ago, I saw as many yield signs as stop signs. Now I almost never see a yield sign. They have all been replaced by stop signs.

Quote:
Another pet peeve is four way stops. They are a complete waste of time. Have the traffic departments figure out which direction has the most traffic and give this way the right of way. Let the lesser amount of cars stop. Eliminates half the stop & greatly improves gas millage.
I love four way stops. I just slow down, and if there is no other traffic I roll right through them.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
I know a few people who would slow down enough at a stop sign as long as there's no one around anD JUST ROLL into it.
What a waste of money! How much does it cost to keep replacing the signs that people are rolling into?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive