Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM

255 posts, read 694,708 times

Advertisements

Recommendations: 0
Hello.

I am wondering why my brakes squeal on most, but not all, mornings when I back out of my garage.

As soon as I go forward, they do not squeal any more and do not do it again all day. The next morning I often get the squeal in reverse again.

This is a 2006 Subaru Tribeca with just over 100,000 miles on it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
When was the last time you replaced the pads (miles)?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Is it one or all four? Sounds like your rotors/drums may need to be cut, brake fluid flush and possible alignment.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
My van brakes squeal everyone it rains damp. Nothing can be found wrong.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Brake dust will make brakes squeal but it could be worn disk pads.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Brake dust will make brakes squeal but it could be worn disk pads.
More than likely it's this ^^^go to the brake shop and have them pull the wheels and drum and inspect them. They usually do this for free. If dusty they'll blow them off and clean them. If pads are worn then they need replacing.
Remember safety first.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Your brakes typically wear out when you're braking from forward motion. Because of this, your pads get pulled as they wear in a certain direction, think like dragging an eraser along a piece of paper. The long term effect is more surface area in one direction over another, just like if you dragged an eraser in one direction all the time - one side wears out faster than the other.

Its hard to see at a normal level, but look at this picture and you can see the leading edge is worn out while there is still some pad left on the back:

For people who track their cars and go through a whole set of pads in a weekend, its easier to spot, and they will typically flip their pads to double the life of them - very similar to rotating your tires to even the wear.

At any rate, when you back up in the morning, you are going against the grain, so there is less drag and more stutter that manifests as squeal. As well, when everything is cold, its more likely to chatter. There could also be moisture on the rotors and pads that causes noise.

If it was dust or bad shims, your brakes would be more likely to squeal all the time, but they could certainly be contributing to the noise. pads can also crack and cause squealing.

There's nothing wrong with your brakes, but putting new pads on, and seating them properly, will likely resolve the issue.

One thing to think about though - brake pads and rotors are designed and matched to work together - you need to ensure you use the proper types so one material doesn't destroy the other too quickly. If you buy an aggressive pad but not a harder rotor, you can end up chewing through the rotor with the harder pads.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 04-03-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
Recommendations: 0
Hello.

I am wondering why my brakes squeal on most, but not all, mornings when I back out of my garage.

As soon as I go forward, they do not squeal any more and do not do it again all day. The next morning I often get the squeal in reverse again.

This is a 2006 Subaru Tribeca with just over 100,000 miles on it.

Thanks.
Rust from moisture in the night cool air. You scrub off that thin layer of rust first time you brake getting a squeal then it's done.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Rust from moisture in the night cool air. You scrub off that thin layer of rust first time you brake getting a squeal then it's done.

Yes, the problem could be the result of worn brake pads, but the most likely explanation--in view of the fact that the problem goes away for the rest of the day--is that you are simply hearing the effects of some surface rust that builds up on the rotors overnight, and is worn away after the first one or two brake applications.

I am willing to bet that you don't live in the desert!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
This is a very common thing and doesnt mean your brakes are worn out. However you should have your brakes checked to see if it is time for new pads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive