Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times

Advertisements

Next-gen Subaru WRX STI spotted at the Nürburgring [UPDATE]

Looks like a regular Impreza with a wing and some fender flares to me, maybe some LED lighting. I don't mind, the whole idea was always to stick Superman inside of Clark Kent. Which generates a few evil images, so I'm going to stop channeling my inner Lex Luthor.

Since this is probably reasonably final, it could be showing up comparatively soon. Less than 12 months I figure, maybe less than 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Could be they're just testing the powertrain and tech in an Impreza body.

I would be seriously surprised if they end up having the WRX and STi be Impreza based when they've spent so much publicity and time on distancing the two.

I still hold out and think the finished product will look a lot more like the NYC concept.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Could be they're just testing the powertrain and tech in an Impreza body.

I would be seriously surprised if they end up having the WRX and STi be Impreza based when they've spent so much publicity and time on distancing the two.

I still hold out and think the finished product will look a lot more like the NYC concept.
I have a feeling that you (and I) will be severely dissatisfied. Unfortunately the spyshots show a car that looks awfully complete and well fitting. This is very disappointing as the car shown here seems to have thrown the hot WRX concept styling elements from the New York auto show out the window.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Wow, what a difference! It has 4 wheels! It looks just like any other car on the road! Has spoiler!! And doors and headlights! Wow, them boys at Subaru really redesigned it.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

I seriously doubt they'd bother with the camouflage if it was a test mule, generally test mules are pretty obviously slapdash and put together with superglue and duct tape, and scream "this is not what the car really looks like!" You put camo on something that looks like it was made in a factory because you don't want to give away how the car looks from the factory yet.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
It looks like a combination of this year's generation WRX with the fender flares and hood. The current day Impreza can be seen in the lipped trunk and rear bumper, and A-C pillars. The concept parts are the diffuser, rear lights and front end.

If this is the final product, I'm sure it will be better in amenities, especially if it has the new powertrain. Looks-wise, it doesn't seem to be that big of a departure; maybe a bit more mature.

In all honesty it looks a bit like the Japanese Civic Type R a few years back.

----

Again, although I think it will be a better car all around, since I own a 2012, a part of me is glad that it doesn't look too much like the concept. I didn't want my resale value to dip that low.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM

More analysis here: 2014 Subaru WRX caught at Nurburgring! |*CarAdvice

Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I have a feeling that you (and I) will be severely dissatisfied. Unfortunately the spyshots show a car that looks awfully complete and well fitting. This is very disappointing as the car shown here seems to have thrown the hot WRX concept styling elements from the New York auto show out the window.
I don't think it would be entirely abnormal to take the current gen Impreza and using it as a test mule, the hood scoop and wing could be easily explained by the need for cooling and keeping the ass on the ground due to current design language.

All in all, you might be right, and we will be dissatisfied, but so would a whole lot of other people.

Again, after all the talk about distancing the WRX from the Impreza and that amazing concept at NYC Auto Show, they would be shooting themselves in the foot putting that thing out.

So I'll remain hopeful until proven otherwise.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 PM

Remember, that concept was no more than a design study to generate buzz around the WRX nameplate. And a platform to show off some really really metallic paint, anyway.

It looks like the grill and some of the fender styling made it into this. But frankly I never believed any of the hype regarding "separation" of the lines. They were going to try to create some distance between the two names, but they could never distance the car itself all THAT far from the Impreza, not without the car costing too much to develop, and therefore too much for us to buy. One of the reasons it's such great performance for cheap is because it has always re-used so much from the Impreza parts bin.

Besides, Subaru has gone this long with exactly one car platform, the Legacy platform. A short version makes the Impreza, the short raised version is the Forester, except when it's the Crosstrek, the raised Paul Hogan version is the Outback, the stpuid-fied version is the Tribeca. Then you just buy Scions and slap a BRZ badge on them to say you have more than one platform.

WRX was always going to sit on the same plaftorm as every other car Subaru makes. This was always life. Any hope to the contrary was just that. Hope.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Remember, that concept was no more than a design study to generate buzz around the WRX nameplate. And a platform to show off some really really metallic paint, anyway.

It looks like the grill and some of the fender styling made it into this. But frankly I never believed any of the hype regarding "separation" of the lines. They were going to try to create some distance between the two names, but they could never distance the car itself all THAT far from the Impreza, not without the car costing too much to develop, and therefore too much for us to buy. One of the reasons it's such great performance for cheap is because it has always re-used so much from the Impreza parts bin.

Besides, Subaru has gone this long with exactly one car platform, the Legacy platform. A short version makes the Impreza, the short raised version is the Forester, except when it's the Crosstrek, the raised Paul Hogan version is the Outback, the stpuid-fied version is the Tribeca. Then you just buy Scions and slap a BRZ badge on them to say you have more than one platform.

WRX was always going to sit on the same plaftorm as every other car Subaru makes. This was always life. Any hope to the contrary was just that. Hope.
I fully expected sharing of parts, and chassis components, but after 3-4 years of "The WRX and STi will no longer be based on the Impreza" and a design study that dropped everyones jaw, yes I would be disappointed if that's it. It's not the end of the world, I'll just buy a different car, but it would be an unfortunate turn of events.

And it's not like we're talking excessive development cost, the engine tech is there, the AWD system is already epic and they know how to make a chassis. It would be more a matter of stamping sheet metal I would think.

Oh, and the mechanics and chassis of the FRS/BRZ was developed by Subaru, Toyota did the styling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive