Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,687 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I had a recent driving situation which ended up with myself getting a flat tire. Let me explain.

I'll start out by saying that I am not a very experienced drivers. I have not been on the roads 50 years with total driving knowledge, so I'm not perfect and learning by the day. Just wanted to get that out the way. So, this morning I had to take a left turn on a two lane road with a median in between the two roads. So, in order to take a left, I had to cross a lane.

I crossed the lane, and another car was waiting to turn and was not turning. For some reason, like I said I am new, I thought she was letting me go. I didn't see any cars coming in my immediate or peripheral vision, so that reassured me. So, I start to go, and realize that maybe she was waiting for another car to pass, so I look to my right, and sure enough another car was coming. I immediately stop and it wasn't as though I was blocking the intersection totally, but I was jutting into the lane a little.

So the guy starts honking like crazy and slams the break. It was a near accident, but based on my limited past experience, it wasn't THAT close to an accident, but enough to rattle all parties. I immediately apologize, totally sorry, I didn't see him, nothing happened, my mistake, and start to reverse to let the guy go. He just starts screaming his head off, and is screaming, "GO GO GO!!!!"

Unfortunately, he did not give me enough room to go, but when someone is absolutely blowing up like this, I'm not gonna start fighting with him. So I try to go and end up having to go over the curb which I am 99% sure popped my tire because when I got to my destination, it was totally deflated and hadn't been before I took the 2-3 minute trip.

Look, I know I screwed up, but I think as drivers we have to realize that everybody makes mistakes, and if the guy who makes the mistake doesn't cause an accident, totally and completely apologizes, and then has the courtesy to let you go before him, no need to be a jerk. Because of the situation this guy put me in, 300 bucks is going down the drain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
So, I know I screwed up, but I think as drivers we have to realize that everybody makes mistakes, and if the guy who makes the mistake doesn't cause an accident, totally and completely apologizes, and then has the courtesy to let you go before him, no need to be a jerk. Because of the situation this guy put me in, 300 bucks is going down the drain...
Yeah, sounds like it was a bad deal all around. You misjudged several things, but obviously not with malice.

I don't know that your flat tire was a direct result of that encounter. If you had popped it, or knocked it off the rim at that curb, it would have been totally "gone" long before you got to your destination.

In the end, it sucks to have to replace a tire.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Yeah, sounds like it was a bad deal all around. You misjudged several things, but obviously not with malice.

I don't know that your flat tire was a direct result of that encounter. If you had popped it, or knocked it off the rim at that curb, it would have been totally "gone" long before you got to your destination.

In the end, it sucks to have to replace a tire.
Oh it was completely gone less than five minutes after, I just didn't realize and was thinking to myself, what was that noise? I have never seen a tire that deflated before. It was just that I hit the curb so violently and then a few minutes later realize my tire is flat, that is the only conclusion I could make.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Are you sure the tire is actually popped? Or maybe it just came off the rim and is a matter of having a tire shop re-inflate it to get it to re bead?

It might not be as bad as you think.

But as I have recently learned, you are in control of your own actions and emotions regardless who's blowing their horn at you. You can either get uptight and hustle to appease them....or you can move at your own pace with no worries.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Are you sure the tire is actually popped? Or maybe it just came off the rim and is a matter of having a tire shop re-inflate it to get it to re bead?

It might not be as bad as you think.

But as I have recently learned, you are in control of your own actions and emotions regardless who's blowing their horn at you. You can either get uptight and hustle to appease them....or you can move at your own pace with no worries.
Yeah, the assist place already said it was popped. I am definitely going to take the last thing you said to heart.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Yeah, the assist place already said it was popped. I am definitely going to take the last thing you said to heart.
Well...

On the downside, you have an expensive tire to replace.
On the plus side, you weren't in an accident.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Just don't let the incident make you nervous about driving in the future. Unfortunately there's a**holes everywhere, just learn to ignore them.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
$300 for a TIRE?

I rarely spend that much on my Semi truck tires!! (jumbo fronts excluded).

You need to get a job in a tire shop for awhile. Good experience + CHEAP tires and you learn which ones are horrible.

I have had to spend $100 on RARE occasion for a custom 'sport' tire. but for my 'average ride', I get mine at the junk yard for $5. I have a tire machine at home (something else that is good about working at a tire store while you are young and energetic.. They 'upgrade' tire machines and you take the old one off there hands and use for your next 50 yrs. Your friends will like it too, especially if you are in a climate needing snow tires ... frequent changes. (and if you buy $5 tires from junk yard)

Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
^^^^I've never bought a new tire in my life. I go to the local tire shop and buy a used one with good tread on it. Wait...I lied. I bought a brand new Bridgestone before, but it had a blemish in the writting, so the company ground off the name and sold it cheap. I got it for $25 installed. Still had the little nubby things on it and everything. lol

Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$300 for a TIRE?

I rarely spend that much on my Semi truck tires!! (jumbo fronts excluded).

You need to get a job in a tire shop for awhile. Good experience + CHEAP tires and you learn which ones are horrible.

I have had to spend $100 on RARE occasion for a custom 'sport' tire. but for my 'average ride', I get mine at the junk yard for $5. I have a tire machine at home (something else that is good about working at a tire store while you are young and energetic.. They 'upgrade' tire machines and you take the old one off there hands and use for your next 50 yrs. Your friends will like it too, especially if you are in a climate needing snow tires ... frequent changes. (and if you buy $5 tires from junk yard)
I think my rim was damaged and my tire popped and that is why the cost so high. I'm not so much frustrated with the high cost, but rather, when I tried to courteously back up to let the other guy go he starts screaming at me forcing me to get through a space that would be very difficult to get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive