Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Ford already has a pretty decent presence in the EU and GM basically sells a lot of their cars in the EU under different branding (Opel, etc). There are particular models like the Mustang and Corvette that wouldn't sell particularly well but Ford is downsizing the next gen Mustang for this reason and the C7 Corvette looks the way it does so that it will be more appealing overseas.
Why would the two most iconic cars that have a huge world wide following and are already imported to Europe change since a Mustang is the iconic pony Car and a Corvette is our true American sports car that both cars are so historic and a Boss 302 mustang may be able to hang with a BMW M3 but it does it by being a handful and is loud and has the classic Boss Racing stripes and is a in your face car that is darn Amazing for still having a 8.8 Solid Rear Axle and the Corvette is huge over there because they are the last true American sports and pony Cars that are so iconic and well known that they are not about fuel economy or made to be competing with BMW or Mercedes but be able to beat them in performance and cost less and offer a better bang for the buck.

Although the new Viper looks like it has styling from Ferrari and Aston Martin in it but a 640HP 8.4 liter V-10 and the EU close to $9 bucks a gallon but a BMW with a V-8 that is half the size of the viper V-10 or the 6.0 V-12 hand built Aston is not as brutal I mean only a Viper is a car that alike a old school muscle car where if you drive it past the cars limits with or beyond your ability to keep it on the track it will kill you but like a muscle car of old it can lay down massive strips of rubber and is a torque monster and has a simple traction control system and not much else in terms of electronic nanny systems from the most unrefined and brutal car sold in modern times even the V-12 Lambo has been tamed down a bit but bet a Ferrari or Lambo cannot go to a local GM dealer and get service or maintained at Corvette prices where it costs about the same as a Tahoe or Camaro.

also the latest model focus on their latest a world platform and the new hot hatch ST is the same as the European Euro spec Focus RS.

I think Europe needs some FWD Jeep Compasses since they are blowing them out cause not even us North Americans want them since they are not trail rated real jeeps but just have a jeep grill and styling cues.

What you should have asked is something different. Question is - dear American car manufacturers. When will you take your heads out of your arses, and start making same real good cars you make for demanding Europeans, for Americans? You should be ashamed of yourself. And as a whole, Americans should be more savvy and simply say - FU, big three. Give us the right cars, as we know, you can, or go *********rself. But no, Granpa had a Chevy, Papa had a Chevy, I'll have a Chevy, best dem trucks in the world... Far will you go with this mentality.

plus the Ford F-Series is the number one best selling for over 30 plus years pick-up trucks in North America Ford has stepped up their game and GM has improved but Chrysler is not doing too well but then again they are partnered with Fiat and were the brand that almost bankrupted Mercedes and made them fall behind BMW in quality and fit and finish.

I mean Honda Subaru and Toyota have made up the for people that were sick of of the two decades of rebadged models that were terrible until recently esp Ford where they caught Honda and Toyota riding their image and were slacking off and are about even now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I would say that that is a large over generalisation.

It also suggests that the average American does a high mileage.

I'd be interested if there are any figures available.
I think here in Germany people drive at least as much if not more than in the US. Only one of my co-workers lives in the city where we work. Everyone else lives in surounding villages or further. Only one takes the train and that is because he has a good connection. My commute of 30 Km is among the shortest of my co workers a few drive a bit more than 100. On the weekends people tend to travel a lot too.

I drove 45,000 Km on my Renault last year.

Funny when you mention French cars in America everyone is like oh I had one 35 years ago and it was crap would never buy one....
The French build some of the best small cars, are producing diesel motors for Mercedes...

Like if you asked somone here about american cars and they said oh I had one in the Eighties it was crap would never buy one....

Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM

401 posts, read 534,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

I think Europe needs some FWD Jeep Compasses since they are blowing them out cause not even us North Americans want them since they are not trail rated real jeeps but just have a jeep grill and styling cues.
now.
They do sell Jeep Compasses in Europe, and just like in the US they are trail rated after 2011. Unfortunately most of them come with a Mercedes 2.2 liter diesel. I know, I have one.

The engine is OK, but diesel is generally noisy and expensive services. (the local Jeep dealer charged $ 1300,- for 30k service !!!! - just oil change and a few minor check points) Once you get a Mercedes mark on anything - forget it - there soars the prices.

We have two Jeeps now, and their 4x4 system is superior than anything else we have had. The Honda CRV we had was a joke on snow...and in Norway you drive on snow almost year around.

Also bought a brand new Mercedes and a BMW a few years ago. Had more problems with the BMW than with any Jeep. The Mercedes was OK, but the car had suspension issues at 60k...we have had zero problems with the Jeeps.

IMO, European cars are hyped...and French cars...yeah, sure...

Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,785,818 times
Quote:
Ahhh, unfortunately, and with due respect to your patriotism, American car manufacturers lost ability to make nice cars. They are what they are. They are designed by numbers, and are plasticy, and retarded. It is what it is. Manufacturers are not motivated to change.
I wasn't necessarily being patriotic and as disclosed, I have always and continue to own nothing but Toyotas. But I also believe in giving credit where credit is due and if I were to compare different automakers, to me it seems that GM, Ford, and now Chrysler have all made the most significant strides in improving their standings after decades of what amounted to a stagnant and outdated system that kept them from making the real innovative changes required for today's market.

I think I mentioned this before, but to me some of the American cars are doing what brands like Toyota and Honda used to do in the 70's and 80's: Sell you a car that had a surprisingly large amount of features for the cost of a entry level car. For example when I rented a Chevy Cruze a few months ago, it was basically loaded with power everything and plus some. It was a surprisingly nice little car that was also fun to drive. This is such a marked improvement over the total crap GM used to make, like those awful Chevy Cavaliers. I had a friend who had a 97' Cavalier and it wallowed like a whale on the road and was already well-worn by the time it hit 50,000 miles.

As far as diesels, count me in as one of those who would really, really like to have either a small diesel car or truck. I've been waiting years in fact for one and it seems that for now the only options are either VW, or one of the German luxury brands. As mentioned my Mother in Law owns a VW TDI and its been a POS. But as of this year, there will be a Chevy Cruze diesel as well as a Mazda diesel. Both very compelling vehicles. If some of you have driven any of the more modern diesels, you'd never imagine there was a diesel in there save for the additional torque. They are seriously fun to drive cars.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 PM

401 posts, read 534,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I wasn't necessarily being patriotic and as disclosed, I have always and continue to own nothing but Toyotas. But I also believe in giving credit where credit is due and if I were to compare different automakers, to me it seems that GM, Ford, and now Chrysler have all made the most significant strides in improving their standings after decades of what amounted to a stagnant and outdated system that kept them from making the real innovative changes required for today's market.

As far as diesels, count me in as one of those who would really, really like to have either a small diesel car or truck. I've been waiting years in fact for one and it seems that for now the only options are either VW, or one of the German luxury brands. As mentioned my Mother in Law owns a VW TDI and its been a POS. But as of this year, there will be a Chevy Cruze diesel as well as a Mazda diesel. Both very compelling vehicles. If some of you have driven any of the more modern diesels, you'd never imagine there was a diesel in there save for the additional torque. They are seriously fun to drive cars.
Stand on any street corner in any major big city in Europe and you will see why it is not a good idea to have the majority of cars being powered by diesel. The noise level and pollution is incredible. Imagine NYC with 80% diesels?? You wouldn't be able to live there.

Some major cities in Europe is considering total ban on diesel cars on cold winter days due to poor air circulation and high level of diesel exhaust.

Some diesels are quieter, but still not quiet, for instance some Mercedes diesels, but most small car diesels are noisy. Of course the torque of diesels is great, but that is due to the turbo, which is another component that frequently breaks down - which already adds to expensive repair bills on diesels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive