Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
What was your first car?, and Did you pay for it on your own or parents? Also please tell the truth!
That's an interesting way of asking it!

My first car was a '78 Buick Park Avenue (maybe it was 1979). It used to be my mother's car, but she hadn't driven it for a while and gave it to me. It was also the car she taught me to drive in.

Here it is:

My First Car by tvdxer, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
First car bought 11/21/83 for $625. Paid for it myself at $3.35 an hour job. Borrowed money from local credit union. Payments were $48 a month for 18 months, It was a 1971 2dr Maverick with 170/three on tree. Still have it. Sold new at Kermit Ford in Kermit Texas, a Ford dealership that is still in business at the same address today. Even today, I can still go to the same house I bought it at in Iowa Park Texas.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
That's an interesting way of asking it!

My first car was a '78 Buick Park Avenue (maybe it was 1979). It used to be my mother's car, but she hadn't driven it for a while and gave it to me. It was also the car she taught me to drive in.

Here it is:
That is a very acceptable first car. Roomy and comfortable.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
Back in the days everyone got chrsyler i dont get it? Chrysler isn't even popular now

My father bought a lot of Chryslers becauase he had the computer programs to run diagnostics on them, the books for all the codes, etc.. The running joke in the family was how my dad only purchased Chryslers.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
My first car was an 84 Ford Tempo, paid for myself at the tender age of 16. Came complete with that oh-so-80s interior color, Cathouse Red.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My father bought a lot of Chryslers becauase he had the computer programs to run diagnostics on them, the books for all the codes, etc.. The running joke in the family was how my dad only purchased Chryslers.
I would laugh as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
My first car is the one I'm driving right now, a 1997 Ford Taurus with 191k miles on it at this time. We've had it since 1999 and I hope to never get rid of it.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My Grandma and mom both had a lot of Chrysler love. My Grandma had a Le Baron, then a New Yorker, then a Le Baron convertible, then my mom had a Sebring convertible.. I never cared for these choices much but hey, not my money.

Looking back, my Grandma had a very interesting array of cars over the years and she was really into cars in a way I don't think most Grandmas usually are. I remember her having a VW Bug, a 70's model Pontiac Thunderbird, a Camaro convertible, and a Suzuki Samurai just to name a few.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times

1965 Pontiac Catalina 4 Door Hardtop except it was baby blue exterior with like interior.

389ci V8 Engine, Power Steering and Manual Brakes with no A/C.

Took the driver road test with it.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
I bought my own first car around 1976 at the age of 15. It was a 1962 Chevy Biscayne, brush painted with blue house paint, except the roof, which was white. I was working full-time in a garage, pumping gas and learning to be a mechanic. I gave $50 for it, which was $17.50 shy of a week's pay. The guy I bought it from said "It doesn't go very fast." That was because it had the two-speed cast-iron PowerGlide transmission and top gear was gone.

Even so, it would do 70 in low gear, though there would be smoke coming out from under the hood, from the gunk on the little 232 straight-6 motor, if I did it for too long. I paid $35 for another tranny out of a junkyard and $4 for a case of beer for me and two buddies to drink while we swapped out the tranny. Found out there were two different linkage setups for that tranny that year, and the one I'd got was the wrong one...but some scrap angle iron and an oxy/acetylene torch solved that problem, one of the guys burnt the heck out of his fingers lighting the torch with his Zippo.

I wasn't old enough to get a driver's license, so I never bothered to register it, I just swiped a plate from somewhere and drove it.

Parents BUY a car for a kid and GIVE it to him? I'd never heard of such a thing, it was a completely foreign concept. At that time and place, any kid over the age of about 8 that wanted something, did some kind of work to earn the money to buy it for himself. Maybe there were some families that had enough money to buy a car for a kid but *I* certainly didn't know anyone like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive