Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I live at 8,500' and our HEMI Durango does just fine. Definitely slower than at sea level but it's hardly noticeable.

Only is a big deal if you do a lot of heavy towing. Then a turbo diesel is the way to go up here.
If you have a vehicle that is 50% overpowered at sea level, it may be only 30% overpowered at 10,000 ft. elevation--probably very adequate power. But, you will pay for that surplus power every day, sea level or no, with at least some fuel economy penalty.

At the other end of the spectrum is a vehicle that is barely adequately powered at sea level. It will struggle at altitude to maintain speed, and will likely also suffer a fuel economy penalty if pushed hard at altitude. Most of today's vehicles fall somewhere in the middle--more than enough power for sea level and adequate power at altitude.

If current automotive trends continue, more and more new vehicle models will be equipped with smaller displacement turbocharged gasoline engines, most likely direct-injected and capable of running on regular fuel. GM and Ford are already heading in that direction, and most of the other major manufacturers will likely follow.

As for PokerMunkee's comment about turbodiesels, he is absolutely right. Power at altitude, lots of low-end torque, excellent engine durability, and superior fuel economy--all true whether one is towing or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Otherwise, it is all relative: everyone around you on the highway is also experiencing power loss.
Everyone?.... except those with a turbo. Not that turbo's don't loose some power, but it's minimal compared to an NA car. Not to mention most turbo's can be tuned to higher than factory HP & TQ levels with the push of a button.

I live at 10,000ft so I only consider turbo's (or electric in the future). Who want's to pay for a 400hp car but end up with 230hp car? Not me!

Sucks to have to buy a huge chainsaw, weed whacker, powerful dirt bike etc, but only receive 60% of said performance. At least with cars/trucks I have a choice.

...anyway back on topic, I think the OP will do just fine with the NA Forester. Just realise that you'll be down on power a ton up in the mountains if you need to pass. Average speed on the I-70 is probably about 20mph anyway .

Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As for PokerMunkee's comment about turbodiesels, he is absolutely right. Power at altitude, lots of low-end torque, excellent engine durability, and superior fuel economy--all true whether one is towing or not.
Now there's something we agree on. There should be a law against towing a travel trailer in Colorado with a gas engine. We'd all get to our destinations a lot sooner.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
The only time you'll notice power loss is if you go to the drag strip at sea level and then to the drag strip at Bandemere and compare numbers. Otherwise, it is all relative: everyone around you on the highway is also experiencing power loss.

I'm curious why you want to go to a Forester. The new Focus is pretty badass.
Some cars have more power to spare then others... a smart car might not make it up the mountain while a corvette will do it with ease. Even though both lost power.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,518 times
Bumping for an update.

I went with the non-turbo forester in May and have made a few trips up to the mountains and haven't had any issues. I don't really notice anything until I get above 10,000 feet. Even then, it goes fine up to 60, faster than 60 is when I noticed the power loss the most.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Bumping for an update.

I went with the non-turbo forester in May and have made a few trips up to the mountains and haven't had any issues. I don't really notice anything until I get above 10,000 feet. Even then, it goes fine up to 60, faster than 60 is when I noticed the power loss the most.
Thanks for the update. I have been looking at the Forester and thought that I had to get turbo for mtn. driving - apparently not.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Guess it all depends on your expectations. For close to a decade I drove small 4 bangers (manual tranny) in the mountains. Yes you'll still get to the top of the pass, but you can forget about passing on the steep grades. You also have to rev the poo out of the car just to keep your speed up. If someone cuts you off (travel trailer) it takes forever to get back up to speed.

Now-a-days I live at 10K ft and drive a turbo forester and a turbo diesel truck. I notice a significant difference in acceleration when I get down to Denver, even with the turbos. At 10K ft, the torque monster (5.9L Cummins) struggles until it builds some boost.

Anyway, congrats on your new Forester! I don't mean to rain on your parade!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
I have a 2006 outback 2.5 5speed. I live at 9500 ft, power is fine on the highways but I am very disappointed in the low rpm torque, 10-20 mph lugging up a hill just doesnt have enough power to make it. I was embarrassed when I saw a Kia awd on a mountain pass that there was no way my subaru would make it up.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,884,332 times
People are confident Subaru will put the 2.0 turbo in the 6th generation Legacy, which will be sold as a 2015 model in 6 months or so. Should also be an option in the 2015 Outback. This engine makes 250HP in the Forester currently with a CVT. If Subaru indeed puts this engine in the Legacy, I'll be owning one of the first ones.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM

11 posts, read 11,946 times
Just found this thread. It was a good read, thanks to all contributors.

I am planning a trip to the Colorado Rockies, Yosemite, and Yellowstone. I have a 2015 Forester (normally aspirated). Planning on getting a full service before we head out that way so not really worried. This thread calmed my fears somewhat.

As long as my own lungs perform ok ... I guess I will be set!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive