Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,136 times

Advertisements

Why is driving in traffic before work and after work called "Rush Hour"? I have never understood this saying.

Yes you might be in a rush to get ready in the morning to get out the door and run to the car only to drive in SLOW moving traffic that seems to take for ever. And yes you might be waiting for work time to be finished just so you can get into your car to sit in traffic going the other direction.

Why is it called "Rush Hour"? Where did the meaning it come from? Why do we still say that when it surely does not apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
It does seem contrary to common sense, but think of it this way. Once you get through the congestion and finally reach your exit, you have to rush the rest of the way to get to work on time.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Everyone is in a RUSH to get to work. they all have a deadline to make it to work on time. While they usually don't have a deadline to get home, they would like to soon as possible to end there work day. So everyone is in a rush to get somewhere, whether traffic or the trains cooperates or not.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
The terms has more to do with the volume of cars/people rather than how fast they are actually moving. As last that's my take. But this also fits with the "lunch time rush" when referring to one's favorite eatery or restaurant. In essence, its the timeframe where everyone wants the same thing (eat, get to work or home), and thus, everyone is "rushing" instead of waiting it out.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
The terms has more to do with the volume of cars/people rather than how fast they are actually moving. As last that's my take. But this also fits with the "lunch time rush" when referring to one's favorite eatery or restaurant. In essence, its the timeframe where everyone wants the same thing (eat, get to work or home), and thus, everyone is "rushing" instead of waiting it out.
That's what I've always interpreted "rush hour" as being a large volume of people converging upon the roads/freeways/interstates in a specific time frame. A great parallel, as you pointed out, is the "lunch hour rush" where everyone is going out to find a place to eat before they have to head back to work.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
Because everybody is in a rush except the 10 cars in front with 5 in the left lane slowing everyone else down.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
As stated, by others everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere and traffic becomes congested with so many people being a hurry to reach their destination at the same time. This also seems to be the time that people drive in the worst possible way as they switch from lane to lane hopelessly trying to defeat traffic because they are in a hurry to get to work. Age/perspective is a funny beast because today I sit in the left lane and very often watch another car several lanes over put forth a dedicated effort to get ahead by switching from lane to lane only to find themselves roughly in the same position in relation to their distance from me. They could have spent the last ten miles behind me in a single lane and covered the same distance in the same amount of time. When I was younger, I was the guy switching lanes like a madman and I'm only 26 now

Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM

47 posts, read 93,894 times
Why is it called rushing in football?

Why is it called rush week on college campuses?

lol who is doing all this rushing?

Last week I was stuck in rush hour on my way to rush week listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Last edited by fandango9; 04-11-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Because it's the best time to listen to a little Rush!

Rush- Tom Sawyer - YouTube

Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
This also seems to be the time that people drive in the worst possible way as they switch from lane to lane hopelessly trying to defeat traffic because they are in a hurry to get to work.
I tend to find the opposite. During off-peak hours, I'm more likely to see aggressive drivers because people can drive aggressively, and you're more likely to see slow and inexperienced and generally careless drivers who aren't accustomed to driving on the highways. Many more serious accidents during off peak hours and if they occur during rush hour, they tend to be in the reverse commute direction. Rush hour accidents in the normal commuting direction tend to be fender-bender type, but you definitely do get accidents from before rush hour that aren't fully cleaned up when rush hour fully sets in, which cause delays for commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive