Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM

15,440 posts, read 21,248,450 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this' i.e., Automotive or Economics as it would fit in either.

Anyway,

Consumers Could Get One Gift This Year - Cheaper Gasoline Prices

Predicting gasoline prices is a bit like reading one of Nostradamus' quatrains but prices at Lubbock have been dropping. Lubbock has in the past had some of the least expensive gasoline in Texas but had in the past few months moved ahead in its prices. The earlier scenario now seems to be back. Prices yesterday at Lubbock were at $3.07 but are back to $3.16 today.

Do gas prices seem to be going down in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,546,522 times
look at gasbuddy.com. It has a comparison for each area vs a year go.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,147,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this' i.e., Automotive or Economics as it would fit in either.

Anyway,

Consumers Could Get One Gift This Year - Cheaper Gasoline Prices

Predicting gasoline prices is a bit like reading one of Nostradamus' quatrains but prices at Lubbock have been dropping. Lubbock has in the past had some of the least expensive gasoline in Texas but had in the past few months moved ahead in its prices. The earlier scenario now seems to be back. Prices yesterday at Lubbock were at $3.07 but are back to $3.16 today.

Do gas prices seem to be going down in your area?
In theory the closer you get to the distibuter or manfacture, the cheaper the price should be. If they pay less to get it to its location the price should get cheaper for the customer

Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 AM

780 posts, read 2,909,633 times
Yep, gas prices have been slowly declining (~35c since the last spike) in the last two weeks or so. I've been waiting for the usual weekly spike but I haven't seen any. I'm planning to buy up to 60 gallons by this weekend.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,982,680 times
Price at the pump has gone down 30 cents per gallon in the last 2 weeks. That, of course, is after it went up 60 cents per gallon in a 2 week period, a couple months ago.

Why are we celebrating gas "going down" to $3.39 per gallon?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,562,095 times
It's down to $3.32 where I live. I don't believe what all of the "experts" say about where gas prices will go. They said it was going to hit five dollars, then gas went down instead. Late last year they were saying it was going to go down and stay down, of course it went up. Then they said it was going to stay up, now it's going down.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,546,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It's down to $3.32 where I live. I don't believe what all of the "experts" say about where gas prices will go. They said it was going to hit five dollars, then gas went down instead. Late last year they were saying it was going to go down and stay down, of course it went up. Then they said it was going to stay up, now it's going down.
Life pro tip: Don't listen to "experts", check the DATA. You are paying less today than than you were a year ago.

______________Cincinnati___USA
Today_________3.415______3.540
Yesterday______3.424______3.550
One Week Ago__3.575______3.600
One Month Ago__3.745______3.680
One Year Ago___3.742 ______3.892

Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,439,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
A good rule of thumb would be to assume the opposite of what the "experts" say

Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,967,972 times
Instead of looking at trends in terms of weeks, it's best to look at what gas prices have been doing over periods of months or years. Below is the American average gas price over the past 10 years. The trends are well known - the huge increase until 2008, then a big crash, then a big increase through 2010. Since 2011 gas prices have been trapped in a range between $3 and $4 per gallon. Prices may vary on a timescale of months, but for the past few years gas prices have been quite stable and predictable, albeit stable at a high level. Notice that this is the first time in history that gas prices have stayed above $3 per gallon for 24 months or longer. Obviously local prices will deviate from this average, and occasionally you can get lucky with the small-scale fluctuations.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM

169 posts, read 282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Instead of looking at trends in terms of weeks, it's best to look at what gas prices have been doing over periods of months or years. Below is the American average gas price over the past 10 years. The trends are well known - the huge increase until 2008, then a big crash, then a big increase through 2010. Since 2011 gas prices have been trapped in a range between $3 and $4 per gallon. Prices may vary on a timescale of months, but for the past few years gas prices have been quite stable and predictable, albeit stable at a high level. Notice that this is the first time in history that gas prices have stayed above $3 per gallon for 24 months or longer. Obviously local prices will deviate from this average, and occasionally you can get lucky with the small-scale fluctuations.

And what was wrong with 1.43 a gallon in that chart above?? LOL Anyway, what are you gonna do? You need gas. Everyone has to absorb this in their own ways. Carry on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive