Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, I don't. (By the way, in Texas, there's also the statute that makes it clear that the left lane is for passing only ONLY in those areas specifically designated as such and with the very specific signing mandated by the legislature. That's another statute that gets regularly ignored even if it's posted.)

I think that the law is fine as it is. What I find hypocritical is those people who throw hissy fits because someone is driving the speed limit in the left lane, which is perfectly legal, AND who flat refuse to admit that if they are being inconvenienced at all by someone driving the speed limit in the left lane, it is because they, themselves, are violating another part of the law and are mad that someone, in their perception, isn't obeying the part of the law that by their lights makes it possible for them to do so.

I really don't have a problem with speeding. It's the intellectual and ethical dishonesty of the whole argument that pushes my buttons. "There's a LAW that says slower traffic move right, and people should obey it and get out of the way!" While ignoring "There's a LAW that says traffic should not drive faster than the speed limit, and people should obey it and so anyone driving the speed limit in the left lane should not be a problem to them."
It doesn't take any brain power to blindly obey unreasonable laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Nor does it take any brain power to decide they don't apply to you.

The appropriate thing (which DOES take brain power, and willingness to work) is, if you think a law is unreasonable (after all, lots of people think that it's unreasonable to have a law against killing people that they think need killing or robbing people who they think have too much stuff and should be forced to share), is to work to get it changed. This means, among other things, documenting why it is unreasonable (facts, not opinion), finding out who the appropriate agency regarding making the change is in your state or area, getting enough other people on board to make it not just all about you, and petitioning in whatever manner is appropriate in your area (there's a system, there always is) to get the change made.

Deciding to change it all by yourself because it SHOULDN'T apply to you is never the system, nor does it take more than two brain cells to rub together. It's a variation on "I wanna" and it, too, is pretty much blind ego at work.

I'm all for changing unreasonable laws in the manner I describe above; I say go for it! Just don't pretend that just because one law makes other people let you do what you want to do and another law doesn't that it's the law that doesn't give you your "I wanna" that is the unreasonable one and should be broken and the one that allows you to do what you want is good and should always be obeyed (by everyone else, note). As I said, that's intellectually and ethically dishonest and hypocritical.

This is on topic because the people that come up behind other drivers and flash their lights tend, in this country, I've noticed, to be the ones who think that the speed limit law doesn't apply but the slow drivers move right law does.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Nor does it take any brain power to decide they don't apply to you.

The appropriate thing (which DOES take brain power, and willingness to work) is, if you think a law is unreasonable (after all, lots of people think that it's unreasonable to have a law against killing people that they think need killing or robbing people who they think have too much stuff and should be forced to share), is to work to get it changed. This means, among other things, documenting why it is unreasonable (facts, not opinion), finding out who the appropriate agency regarding making the change is in your state or area, getting enough other people on board to make it not just all about you, and petitioning in whatever manner is appropriate in your area (there's a system, there always is) to get the change made.

Deciding to change it all by yourself because it SHOULDN'T apply to you is never the system, nor does it take more than two brain cells to rub together. It's a variation on "I wanna" and it, too, is pretty much blind ego at work.

I'm all for changing unreasonable laws in the manner I describe above; I say go for it! Just don't pretend that just because one law makes other people let you do what you want to do and another law doesn't that it's the law that doesn't give you your "I wanna" that is the unreasonable one and should be broken and the one that allows you to do what you want is good and should always be obeyed (by everyone else, note). As I said, that's intellectually and ethically dishonest and hypocritical.

This is on topic because the people that come up behind other drivers and flash their lights tend, in this country, I've noticed, to be the ones who think that the speed limit law doesn't apply but the slow drivers move right law does.
Millions of drivers everyday ignore unreasonable speed limits. No one is deciding all by themselves anything. Any attempt to change the laws is met with the same Texas horse manure you post every time. The police do not enforce except when the coffers are getting low. That means the number on the sign only has meaning when they need some cash. If you are so intellectual then why can't you see the problem? Tell your legislators to order speed limits set by engineering and safety standards and end this stupid problem. Force the cops to raise cash by going after tailgaters, and other aggressive drivers instead. This will make life easier for everybody.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Stay on topic folks, personal attacks will get you an infraction.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Subject came up in the Ohio forum.

Is it common knowledge that flashing your headlights once or twice is a way to ask the person in front of you to move over and let you pass?
Or is this being rude?

Does your car have this feature (make and model please)?
I didn't realize there was anything on a car that tells someone in front of you what to do. It is not your job to dictate to the driver in the car in front of you and yes, that is rude. In our state flashing your headlights lets the driver of the car in front of you that you are preparing to pass him/her. Or it let's the driver of a car know that you are giving right-of-way and they can change lanes and occupy the space in front of them when you are merging from a side road.

I do not understand the attitude that one person tells another person what to do on the highway. You got there first; it is your space until you choose to leave it is the polite thing. Bullies think it is their job to rule over everybody else. Most people are courteous as they can be if you are patient and let them have time to be polite.

When you pay for my car and pay for my insurance it will start being your job to tell me how to drive. Until that time I will make judgments for myself. Adjust your driving according to the other cars on the road.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You left out part of the Texas law (don't feel bad, most people who quote the part that you are referencing above somehow manage to ignore the other part even when the statute is posted for them). The other part states that it is illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit.
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here? I never said it wasn't illegal to break the speed limit, I even specifically said it was, so no, I don't think I left that part out.

What I was trying to highlight is that TX state law states it's illegal to hold up traffic, whether you go the speed limit or not. If you're not comfortable going the speed of the traffic around you, stay in the far right lane, it's safer for the slower driver and for everyone else.

Quote:
The point being, if you're going to cite one part of the law as being a good reason for people to do what you want them to do, you can't, without being a hypocrite, ignore the part of the law that says that you can't do what you want to do.
I wasn't really referencing the law as a good reason for slower drivers to do what i want them to do, I referenced it to point out that moving slower than general traffic in the left lane is illegal as well.

The reason why I think people shouldn't do it is first and foremost safety. It's not only unsafe for the driver going slowly, but it creates other dangerous situations when people then proceed to pass both on the left and right of a driver.

It is safer for everyone involved if, through proper drivers ed (which, frankly, is a complete joke, at least in the state of TX, and certainly doesn't prepare someone to be a safe driver), are taught to drive with the common good in mind. With better adherence to the rules of "left lane is for passing", you get better traffic flow, so everyone gets where they want to go faster. You also get fewer accidents, which again, means less traffic, much lower cost to society and lower cost in terms of personal torment (loss of life, etc).

Quote:
And your ego is still telling you that you are that exceptional driver that is capable of making the decision that the speed limit law doesn't apply to you because YOU know you're such an excellent driver that you can handle it. Never mind who else you're sharing the road with and their varying capabilities and vehicles.
My ego isn't telling me anything, that would be your interpretation, and again, I've never stated the speed limit doesn't apply to me, I've even specifically stated that it does.

Personally I speed when I think it's safe to do so, determining whether it's safe to do so, obviously involves other motorists and their skill level. And bear in mind, on certain roads (at least here in Dallas, TX), traffic is moving at a higher speed than the speed limit. An example would be US-75. I almost always speed on this road, usually going around 70 mph (posted limit is 60 mph), yet I'm rarely if ever in the left lane, because I'm still moving slower than roughly half the cars on the road. If I were to travel at 60 mph, I would present a danger to myself and other drivers if I was in any other lane than the far right, simply because I would be impeding traffic.

And in any case, doing 70 or even 80 mph does not really have much to do with skill, if you can operate a motor vehicle at 40 mph, chances are you can operate it just as well at 80 mph. What it does have to do with is attentiveness. You have to be attentive, alert and mind your surroundings, but one should be doing all of those things regardless of speed.

Quote:
If you think it's okay for you to ignore the speed limit law because it shouldn't apply to you (which is, let's be honest now, what you're really saying), how do you rationalize any objection on your part to someone else deciding that the law regarding slower traffic moving right shouldn't apply to them?
Again, I've never said the laws do not apply, I've said one can make a conscious decision to break that law, fully expecting to own up to it, if caught. There is a difference between the two. I did however address this exact point in the post you were quoting, so I will simply restate it:

"Now if someone makes the conscious decision to break the law by holding up traffic in the left lane, they can obviously do so, and they do quite often, but it's unsafe and I cannot for the life of me understand the purpose and lives could be saved is the laws on the book were better taught and enforced."

At the end of the day, I think most "left lane riders" don't do so because they consciously decide "Hey I'm going to hold up traffic today because if they're speeding, I'm gonna be in the left lane!", I think it's simply drivers being inattentive. They go in to the left lane to pass someone and then simply stay there, oblivious to traffic behind them because either a: "They can go around" (dangerous) or b: (and I think this is more common) they're not paying attention to their mirror.

That's why I don't see any problems with a quick flash with the high beams. It's not rudeness, it's a quick and quiet way to say "Hey, would you mind moving over, because I'm going faster than you". Note, there IS a difference between one or at most two flashes and flashing while riding someones bumper. I am referring to the former.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here? I never said it wasn't illegal to break the speed limit, I even specifically said it was, so no, I don't think I left that part out.

What I was trying to highlight is that TX state law states it's illegal to hold up traffic, whether you go the speed limit or not. If you're not comfortable going the speed of the traffic around you, stay in the far right lane, it's safer for the slower driver and for everyone else.

I wasn't really referencing the law as a good reason for slower drivers to do what i want them to do, I referenced it to point out that moving slower than general traffic in the left lane is illegal as well.

The reason why I think people shouldn't do it is first and foremost safety. It's not only unsafe for the driver going slowly, but it creates other dangerous situations when people then proceed to pass both on the left and right of a driver.

It is safer for everyone involved if, through proper drivers ed (which, frankly, is a complete joke, at least in the state of TX, and certainly doesn't prepare someone to be a safe driver), are taught to drive with the common good in mind. With better adherence to the rules of "left lane is for passing", you get better traffic flow, so everyone gets where they want to go faster. You also get fewer accidents, which again, means less traffic, much lower cost to society and lower cost in terms of personal torment (loss of life, etc).

My ego isn't telling me anything, that would be your interpretation, and again, I've never stated the speed limit doesn't apply to me, I've even specifically stated that it does.

Personally I speed when I think it's safe to do so, determining whether it's safe to do so, obviously involves other motorists and their skill level. And bear in mind, on certain roads (at least here in Dallas, TX), traffic is moving at a higher speed than the speed limit. An example would be US-75. I almost always speed on this road, usually going around 70 mph (posted limit is 60 mph), yet I'm rarely if ever in the left lane, because I'm still moving slower than roughly half the cars on the road. If I were to travel at 60 mph, I would present a danger to myself and other drivers if I was in any other lane than the far right, simply because I would be impeding traffic.

And in any case, doing 70 or even 80 mph does not really have much to do with skill, if you can operate a motor vehicle at 40 mph, chances are you can operate it just as well at 80 mph. What it does have to do with is attentiveness. You have to be attentive, alert and mind your surroundings, but one should be doing all of those things regardless of speed.

Again, I've never said the laws do not apply, I've said one can make a conscious decision to break that law, fully expecting to own up to it, if caught. There is a difference between the two. I did however address this exact point in the post you were quoting, so I will simply restate it:

"Now if someone makes the conscious decision to break the law by holding up traffic in the left lane, they can obviously do so, and they do quite often, but it's unsafe and I cannot for the life of me understand the purpose and lives could be saved is the laws on the book were better taught and enforced."

At the end of the day, I think most "left lane riders" don't do so because they consciously decide "Hey I'm going to hold up traffic today because if they're speeding, I'm gonna be in the left lane!", I think it's simply drivers being inattentive. They go in to the left lane to pass someone and then simply stay there, oblivious to traffic behind them because either a: "They can go around" (dangerous) or b: (and I think this is more common) they're not paying attention to their mirror.

That's why I don't see any problems with a quick flash with the high beams. It's not rudeness, it's a quick and quiet way to say "Hey, would you mind moving over, because I'm going faster than you". Note, there IS a difference between one or at most two flashes and flashing while riding someones bumper. I am referring to the former.
Even your post is rude. Do you really think someone does not realize you are behind them? Chill and they will move over. Start flashing your lights and make them mad and you may be behind them for a long time. It is so hard to find a place to pull into when someone is distracting you with bright lights. Bright lights blind one so they cannot be sure it is safe to pull over. You need to back off and get some manners.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Even your post is rude. Do you really think someone does not realize you are behind them? Chill and they will move over. Start flashing your lights and make them mad and you may be behind them for a long time. It is so hard to find a place to pull into when someone is distracting you with bright lights. Bright lights blind one so they cannot be sure it is safe to pull over. You need to back off and get some manners.
In my experience a quick flash of the light to let someone know you're there helps a lot, they move over and I'm on my way. I've rarely experienced someone purposefully blocking, flashing the lights once or not.

One less than a second flash will not blind you, again, there's a difference between *blink* and continuous flashing while riding someone's bumper.

And fact of the matter is, if they see you coming, and they are otherwise attentive drivers, they would've moved over or began signaling to move over by that point anyway.

Again, I really don't think people hog the left lane out of principal or to be jerks, I think most of them simply don't pay that much attention to what's going on behind them.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
Coming out of Ft. Lauderdale yesterday evening on I-95 and I was in the lane next to the HOV lane which moves faster than the posted 70mph speed limit. Behind me about three cars back I could see a Florida Highway Patrol vehicle in my rear view mirror. Three cars ahead of me was a left lane hugg'er doing 65 mph. The FHP officer swung out into the HOV lane pulled aside the LLH and turned on his lights and siren. Pulled him over so the traffic could move. I doubt that he ticketed him, but probably gave him a lecture on safe driving.

I smiled.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

I can't rep you again, but thanks for trying, and for a post based on rational thought rather than self-righteous judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive