Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
No I don't HAVE to. They can GTF out if I'm already speeding also. Preferably they will get pulled over.
Hopefully you'll do this in Jersey one day or another state like it where "Keep Right, Pass Left" is law, and yes you DO have to. Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by TheViking85; 04-25-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
No I don't HAVE to.
Yes you do. IT'S THE LAW! Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by TheViking85; 04-25-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Hopefully you'll do this in Jersey one day or another state like it where "Keep Right, Pass Left" is law, and yes you DO have to.

I won't be in Jersey anytime soon. Not a problem on that front. Moderator cut: Orphaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes you do. IT'S THE LAW! (doing my THLady impression).
The law you say? You mean I have to move out of the way of the car behind me going 95mph that is breaking the law? What trumps what?

Last edited by TheViking85; 04-25-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
I don't drive in left lane and when I do I try to come back to right lane as soon as possible. What bothers me about drivers coming behind you is that they sort of want you to go faster and it doesn't matter how fast you are already going. An example, speed limit 55MPH and imagine you are passing right lane that is going at about 55 - 60MPH with 65-67MPH in the left lane. Someone soon will come behind you like he is going to drive 75MPH if you give them the way. They will keep showing signs of like they want to go faster. You eventually decide to allow this guy to be in front of you and then come back to left lane behind this guy who has wide open lane in front of them. Guess what! He/she is driving now at the same speed you were!! I see less real tailgaters but drivers like above are too many. I just don't understand this!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
I won't be in Jersey anytime soon. Not a problem on that front. I'm an adult....I really don't have to go to bed if I don't want to. Being adult means I have choices. You'll learn that soon enough.

The law you say? You mean I have to move out of the way of the car behind me going 95mph that is breaking the law? What trumps what?
Neither.

You are responsible for obeying the vehicle codes of your state, and not enforcing them unless sworn to do so. If your state has a "keep right" type of vehicle code, and you are in the left lane, as an operator, you may be required to move right if prudent.

Some 'keep right' laws stop at the speed limit, and some don't - meaning slow moving traffic is 'slow moving' regardless of if they are below, at or above the posted speed limit. It all depends on your state. The bottom line is that there is no "trumps" when you are on the road. You are responsible for operating your vehicle in a condition that conforms with the vehicle code of you state, as are other drivers. If another driver is violating the code, that is really NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If you want it to be you business, well, find a career with disco lights on top of your car. Until then, know the law in your state (which state is that, by the way?), and drive by them.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Neither.

You are responsible for obeying the vehicle codes of your state, and not enforcing them unless sworn to do so. If your state has a "keep right" type of vehicle code, and you are in the left lane, as an operator, you may be required to move right if prudent.

Some 'keep right' laws stop at the speed limit, and some don't - meaning slow moving traffic is 'slow moving' regardless of if they are below, at or above the posted speed limit. It all depends on your state. The bottom line is that there is no "trumps" when you are on the road. You are responsible for operating your vehicle in a condition that conforms with the vehicle code of you state, as are other drivers. If another driver is violating the code, that is really NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. If you want it to be you business, well, find a career with disco lights on top of your car. Until then, know the law in your state (which state is that, by the way?), and drive by them.
I live in Ohio.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
I have very limited (actually, zero, until this morning) experience with Ohio's vehicle code, but it appears there are 2 laws which would come into play here.

On a 'normal' highway, it appears that you would not necessarily need to keep right, in Ohio, provided that you were operating your vehicle AT the posted speed limit, and not 1 mph under, or it is unsafe to not operate in the left lane. (one of the very few states where this is the exception) - see 4511.25 quoted below.

HOWEVER, it also appears that Ohio has separate codes for the "Turnpike" - so while operating your vehicle on the "Turnpike", you do need to leave the "inner" lanes available for passing. See 5537-2-09 quoted below.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
5537-2-09 Driving Lane - Passing.

The operator of a motor vehicle shall drive in the outer and center traffic lanes in the designated direction for traffic, except when lawfully crossing from one lane to another. The operator of a motor vehicle shall use the inner traffic lanes for passing only. Where three traffic lanes are provided for the same direction of travel, heavy commercial vehicles and vehicles operated at a rate of speed below the maximum in effect shall drive in the outer lane and shall use the center lane for passing only.

Quote:
4511.25 Lanes of travel upon roadways of sufficient width.
(A) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle or trackless trolley shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when making a left turn under the rules governing such movements;

(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(3) When driving upon a roadway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon;

(4) When driving upon a roadway designated and posted with signs for one-way traffic;

(5) When otherwise directed by a police officer or traffic control device.

(B)

(1) Upon all roadways any vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding at less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, and far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable, except under any of the following circumstances:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding in the same direction ;

(b) When preparing for a left turn;

(c) When the driver must necessarily drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on the driver's intended route.

(2) Nothing in division (B)(1) of this section requires a driver of a slower vehicle to compromise the driver's safety to allow overtaking by a faster vehicle.

(C) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle or trackless trolley shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use the lanes, or except as permitted under division (A)(2) of this section.

This division shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

(D) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 09-21-2006

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
How dumb that they'd mandate it for the turnpike and none of the other interstates crisscrossing the state.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I have very limited (actually, zero, until this morning) experience with Ohio's vehicle code, but it appears there are 2 laws which would come into play here.

On a 'normal' highway, it appears that you would not necessarily need to keep right, in Ohio, provided that you were operating your vehicle AT the posted speed limit, and not 1 mph under, or it is unsafe to not operate in the left lane. (one of the very few states where this is the exception) - see 4511.25 quoted below.

HOWEVER, it also appears that Ohio has separate codes for the "Turnpike" - so while operating your vehicle on the "Turnpike", you do need to leave the "inner" lanes available for passing. See 5537-2-09 quoted below.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for looking.

So I can go 70-75mph in the left lane since I'm not going below the speed limit and if some idiot who wants to go 95mph I don't have to move over? Sounds good to me.

The Turnpike is up north. I live near Columbus (middle of Ohio). Ill keep that in mind if I'm ever on it.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How dumb that they'd mandate it for the turnpike and none of the other interstates crisscrossing the state.
Doesn't matter how dumb....I'm perfectly in the law to not move over if I don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive