Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

A couple months ago I was sitting at a signal, waiting to turn left. I watched a pedestrian wearing a hoodie that was drawn up tight enough so that he had a view about the size of a pair of sunglasses step off the curb to my left to cross. Without looking or even turning his head he continued past the median into the street as I began my left turn. He was past the inside lane when I got to him, but only because I waited. I laid on the horn, lit up the rear wheels, and revved nearly to the redline (GTO with Magnaflows). With all that noise suddenly behind him he jumped up about 3 feet and landed on his ass in the street. I was laughing so hard I nearly clipped the median, but I felt he got the message. People need to wake up, and the horn often works well for that purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Can tell you don't live near the Mexican border. A horn honk is a fabulous way to get killed. They'll empty a gun into the honking car and walk off. There won't be an witnesses....at least any that will tell what happened.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
A couple months ago I was sitting at a signal, waiting to turn left. I watched a pedestrian wearing a hoodie that was drawn up tight enough so that he had a view about the size of a pair of sunglasses step off the curb to my left to cross. Without looking or even turning his head he continued past the median into the street as I began my left turn. He was past the inside lane when I got to him, but only because I waited. I laid on the horn, lit up the rear wheels, and revved nearly to the redline (GTO with Magnaflows). With all that noise suddenly behind him he jumped up about 3 feet and landed on his ass in the street. I was laughing so hard I nearly clipped the median, but I felt he got the message. People need to wake up, and the horn often works well for that purpose.
That's cute.

While I drove a cab in my city for awhile, the dispatcher and the big boss knew that I worked on cars occasionally.

One day, I was called to the office, and when I arrived, there was a female cabby sitting in the driveway with her assigned car, her name was Patty.

She was a amazon type a girl, over six feet tall, and always wore those pretty 2 inch nails on her fingertips.

She called over to me, HEY BOB! I can't get the horn to work on this stinking cab!

I reached in across her chest and pushed on the horn pad, and the horn blew.

She was shocked. I said, Pat, press the pad with the palm of your hand. She tried that, instead of using her pretty fancy finger-tipped nails, and it worked. {didn't want to pop a nail pressing on them too hard}

I went into the dispatch office thereafter, and Pete asked me if I helped Patty out with the horn problem, and I said that I had.

Pete asked me, well, what was the problem? I replied, oh, it was a short between the steering wheel and the seat.

The coffee Pete was sipping went everywhere.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Yes, OP, I think that you were justified in using your horn, because you could have prevented an accident and injury to those guys who were standing in the street.

In the past, the only occasions I've had to use my horn were in parking lots, where another vehicle was backing out towards my vehicle. Today, many drivers are distracted while talking on their phones, so every once in a while I have to make a short announcement that the signal has turned green and that it's quite alright to proceed.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-19-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 AM

359 posts, read 779,799 times
Besides having driven some 11 years in the US, I have driven some 3 years in Europe and another 3 years in Asia.

Trust me the amount of horn I used in one day in Asia is equal to the amt most people will use in their lifetime. Lol.

Fun fact: In India, Audi and Skoda actually advertise "Strong loud horns" as part of their vehicles plus points in their advertisement.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I used the horn on the truck I've owned for 10 years for the first time yesterday. I was sitting in a parking lot writing a check using the center of the steering wheel as a writing surface and apparently pressed a little too hard. It was a louder than I expected. Had a nice tone, though.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
Good responses here.

I know it doesnt matter because it could be anyone in the street...... But these guys were like the drunk guys that walk around all day with a shopping cart collecting cans.

I was just surprised they didnt hear my car and they were looking all over talking and shrugging and using their hands to communicate... Like what people do in the bar lol..

So thats why I laid into my horn.. to wake them up and scare them, because someone may have just plowed right through them.

"strong loud horns" lol thats a good one.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Yes, OP, I think that you were justified in using your horn, because you could have prevented an accident and injury to those guys who were standing in the street.
I think using his brake, instead, would have defiantly prevented an accident or injury.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think using his brake, instead, would have defiantly prevented an accident or injury.
The horn would obtain an almost instantaneous reaction.

Stopping a moving vehicle with your reaction time and stopping time, not so much.

A combination of both actions might be best.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, he did avoid an accident or injury by using his brake and his steering wheel. I think the previous poster was referring to the fact that it might have woken them up to the fact that they were on a street where cars do sometimes drive and that the next guy coming down the pike might have been checking out a hot chick rather than watching the road and plowed right into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive