Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM

528 posts, read 823,696 times

Advertisements

Over the course of the two years I looked and researched various cars there were times that the Miata was tops on my list. Other times the Eclipse was my fav or the Solstice. My budget was $13,000 out the door quite a bit less than yours, but low mileage was a must. As far as the Camaro, I am not sure a low mileage current gen vert would fall in your price range. I did check out the previous generation SS verts, those are nice and a low mileage garage queen would probably fall into your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
Over the course of the two years I looked and researched various cars there were times that the Miata was tops on my list. Other times the Eclipse was my fav or the Solstice. My budget was $13,000 out the door quite a bit less than yours, but low mileage was a must. As far as the Camaro, I am not sure a low mileage current gen vert would fall in your price range. I did check out the previous generation SS verts, those are nice and a low mileage garage queen would probably fall into your price range.
Out of curiosity...what did you end up with?

Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I was in the same boat for over a month, wanting a summer toy. I like small cars. Looked at MINI (I've owned a MINI convertible), Miata.. then decided on the Fiat 500 cabrio. I bought one certified pre-owned for under $16k and it only had 2,500 miles (one owner). Fiat certified gave me a warranty to 80,000 miles and the car was thoroughly checked out. Fun little car and surprisingly I can keep up on the highway. Its not a real convertible per se, more a giant canvas top that rolls back, but this way I retain all the air bags and the car does not display any cowl shake like my old Saab convert. You can get really good rebates on leftover 2012 500c if you can find one. I went with the pop model as I wanted a 5 speed. Its not for everyone, but for me, it fit the bill.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

528 posts, read 823,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Out of curiosity...what did you end up with?
I ended up with a '05 Crossfire. Came very, very close to buying a '04 Mazdaspeed Miata, I still wonder if I made the right decision. Time will tell.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Another convertible lover.I also have a fundamental belief that a convertible should be a two-seater. No Mustang's, Camaro's, or 200's need apply.
Sports cars, yes, but convertibles have been available as 4-6 seaters since the dawn of the automobile.

From classics like the '30s Deusenberg SJ up through the '60s Caddy Fleetwoods and modern Mustangs, 2-4 door convertibles are where it's at.

Where did you learn your "fundamental belief?" What extensive automotive knowledge base led you to it?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
... unless you've got the $$$ for something else!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
well we had a 2nd gen s2000 and loved it as a sports car with the drop top; and now have an '11 v6 Mustang convertible. The 2 cars are not in the same class, one is a very competant sports car, the other i'd say is a very nice touring car. The 0-60 times likely would be pretty close, the s2k was more fun playing around with, but overall for taking drives/cruising we prefer the comfort and space of the mustang. And the stang is still a good looking car as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
well we had a 2nd gen s2000 and loved it as a sports car with the drop top; and now have an '11 v6 Mustang convertible. The 2 cars are not in the same class, one is a very competant sports car, the other i'd say is a very nice touring car. The 0-60 times likely would be pretty close, the s2k was more fun playing around with, but overall for taking drives/cruising we prefer the comfort and space of the mustang. And the stang is still a good looking car as well.
I've driven the s2k between LA, SF, Seattle, and Vegas any one of a number of different ways multiple times and would say that's definitely a fair analysis. The seats are designed to keep you planted firmly for hard cornering, and although they're totally supportive, they're not quite as comfy for a long haul as my friend's Mustang. If you want to drive with the top up over a long trip, the engine's high-revving nature and low sound deadening can lend to sonic fatigue, as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
VW Thing.
Jensen Healey (you cna get one fully restored and still have enough left over for a spare engine). Not fast, but lots of fun.
Any Vette.
There are a handful of 1960s and early 1970s convertibles you may find nicely restored for $20K.

On the more practical side, you might want to consider the Pontiac G-6. Not a great car, but it does have usable back seats and the segmented hard top is cooler than cool.

Camaro or Mustang. I think you get a stiffer body with the Camaro, but that may have changed.

If you get a Miata, buy a wig. Thats a "chicks car." (Duck and cover).

Not really - I am just trying to stir up trouble with the Miata fanboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive