U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 PM

5,779 posts, read 13,864,732 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R, with 101,400 miles. I was trying to drive to work today and when I began accelerating the car started shaking around 50 mph, it didn't want to shift up. It's an AT btw. So I stayed at 45mph for awhile, i shifted into neutral and it slammed, jolting the whole car, shifting back into drive it slammed again, with a jolt, thenI reached a red light.

I took off nice and easy but now my gears weren't shifting, it was like 1 long rev up to 50 mph when the shaking started again. So I pulled into a small plaza at the next light and the car slammed into park.

Is it possible that a coolant flush I had done the day before could have affected the coolant lines to the tranny causing this hard shifting? I've only had this car two months and I really hope I don't need to spend $4000 to replace the transmission.

I've also heard it could be the valve body, a known issue with Nissans with vq35 motors.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Btw the trans fluid level is normal and the fluid is a dark red

Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,442,881 times
If it's coolant flush as in engine coolant, I don't see how that would affect anything unless the radiator sprung an internal leak allowing anti-freeze and trans fluid to mix. It happens sometimes. If your trans fluid is light pink and milky looking, that would certainly be a problem.
But, it doesn't really sound like what's going on.
Have it checked for transmission codes. Your car could be in a fail-safe mode. A lot of times that's a stay-in-2nd type of thing and it'll command high line pressure. Manufacturers do that to keep you from going to far without having it looked at and from doing further damage to the trans.
Could be a solenoid or a sensor. Could be more.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,378 posts, read 70,636,382 times
When an automatic trans acts up fear the worst. Rarely does it turn out to be something minor like a sensor so don't get your hopes up. I would guess that the coolant flush timing is a coincidence. Some automatics do go out at 90-120,000 miles, I have paid for two rebuilds on different vehicles, one at 118,000 and one at 92,000. both were US makes, however. Nissans usually do better. Once in limp mode more damage can be done if you have a hard parts issue, so I would have it towed to the transmission shop, and expect to drop $2,500-$3,000. If it's less serious, then you will be happily surprised.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,442,881 times
Speed sensors, shift solenoids, tcc solenoids, pressure control solenoids, and even control units are extremely common failure items on transmissions.
If the fluid isn't burnt, always get a second opinion before forking over a few grand for a rebuild. It still could be a hard part that snapped in there, but you'd be surprised at the percentage of cars that come into a trans shop that don't need overhauls.
Nissan generally makes good transmissions. They routinely go 200k + with no issue.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,193,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I drive a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R, with 101,400 miles. I was trying to drive to work today and when I began accelerating the car started shaking around 50 mph, it didn't want to shift up. It's an AT btw. So I stayed at 45mph for awhile, i shifted into neutral and it slammed, jolting the whole car, shifting back into drive it slammed again, with a jolt, thenI reached a red light.

I took off nice and easy but now my gears weren't shifting, it was like 1 long rev up to 50 mph when the shaking started again. So I pulled into a small plaza at the next light and the car slammed into park.

Is it possible that a coolant flush I had done the day before could have affected the coolant lines to the tranny causing this hard shifting? I've only had this car two months and I really hope I don't need to spend $4000 to replace the transmission.

I've also heard it could be the valve body, a known issue with Nissans with vq35 motors.

Hate to break it to you, but you're looking at some transmission repairs - probably fairly expensive.

A coolant flush would not have any effect on your transmission. If you made the mistake of having a transmission flush (totally different procedure) that could have triggered this.

About all you can do is take it to a reputable shop and have them take a look at it.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Hopefully it's not $1500+ otherwise I'll be without a car for 6-12 moths while I save up....wish me luck getting to my 2 jobs....

Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM

16,140 posts, read 52,827,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Didn't several of us old motorheads counsel you against buying this car? Now you understand why it was for sale...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM

6,256 posts, read 15,677,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Didn't several of us old motorheads counsel you against buying this car? Now you understand why it was for sale...
No need to kick the guy while he's down. Hindsight is 20/20.

OP, from what you've described, it sounds like a mechanical fault, not a sensor or fluid issue. You don't mention if it was slipping or not but if it wasn't that eliminates a few things that could be a problem.

You might get lucky and find that it could be as simple as a broken transmission mount or something, but most likely, it's going to require some teardown and labor to figure out what's wrong. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM

7,685 posts, read 5,688,486 times
I spoke to an owner of a transmission shop this afternoon and weird that we were speaking of Nissan Altima tranny's starting in 2002 - told me they and full of issues.

Sorry OP, hope it's nothing serious and costly.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=...0&bih=531&bs=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive