Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times

Advertisements

I agree you got to get the VIN number first and rule out any "monkey business" first.You got to find out the title status on the car . I wonder if there is a lien on it being that new and hidden in a barn for that long?????There may be several repo guys looking for it right now..You don't know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
OK, I may come off as sounding a bit "dumb". I'm sorry if so. I did try to search for an answer on the forum, but didn't find anything similar to my situation.

I have an opportunity (shall we call it) to purchase a 2004 VW Beetle with "I don't know" how many miles on it, from a seller on Craigslist, for $1500 negotiable. It looks to be in good shape physically from the pictures posted, but the seller says it is running "really rough". It's been sitting in a garage or barn for 2 years. He sounds pretty young, the seller.

It has no title. The seller says it belonged to his father, who passed away last week. The father got it without the title, so there is no title.

Of course I would look at it, start it, drive it if possible before buying it. Try to determine if the "really rough" is something fixable. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I hope to bring a knowledgeable person to help with that aspect.

My question is, how do you go about doing a title search in this type of situation, if it is even possible? What would I need to do to actually buy this vehicle if it's a viable thing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
If you can obtain the VIN, you could begin here:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Please follow the advice of other member posts here, if the person who possesses this vehicle now doesn't have a title, either stay away from buying it, at least until you've done some more checking up on it. You don't know the history of the vehicle or past owners. It could be that the person/s who owned the car previously defaulted on a loan and the finance company cannot find the vehicle to repossess it, the vehicle might be a salvage vehicle, or a host of other reasons a vehicle doesn't have a title.

Be careful here.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
I grew up in NH where a car does not need a title if it was made before 1993. When I was younger I could simply write a bill of sale on a scrap piece of paper, the new owner could take it to the DMV and get it registered. Very simple process.

I currently live in NJ and my 66 Mustang never had a title. I never registered it while living in NH because it was a restoration project but ran into a problem when trying to get it registered NJ. I needed a title so I had to get an old registration from the previous owner and an odometer disclosure from them. After months of trying to track down the previous owner and getting the paperwork I needed, as well as notorized, I finally got a title for it. The funny part is if I ever move back to NH I can throw it away because its useless there. Very frustrating how the law differs from state to state in regards to this.

Id call the local DMV and see what your options are. What sort of paperwork you would need to get it titled etc.. maybe the current owner would be able to provide some of the needed paperwork.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
This one is most certainly a Craigslist scam, as anything with current resale VALUE will be sold with a title, or the seller will go to the trouble to get one. (Usually MUCH easier for them to get than for you get).

In general... States vary in rules / ability to get title (lost, new, recovered).

I have methods that I use frequently in adjacent states to me, and they are each very different.

WA state allows you to register in lieu of title for 3 yrs, then claim ownership (if it is not disputed)
OR allows you to go through a 'public' auction and reclaim and then get a replacement title
CO allows you to get an inspection and apply for replacement title.
CA is a BEAR to get a title on an older '(non CARB)' car. Often impossible on older stuff.

I recently contested ownership of a motorcycle that I needed a title that was over 30 yrs old since last registered. AMAZING... after 10 yrs of searching / haggling with DMV... the owner miraculously appeared in one week (As I had HIS title and he had MINE) The previous seller had mixed titles up when selling similar vehicles.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
I have an opportunity (shall we call it) to purchase a 2004 VW Beetle with "I don't know" how many miles on it, from a seller on Craigslist, for $1500 negotiable.
The seller doesn't know how many miles are on it?

And unless the car is rare or some type of antique, why bother with a missing title? Dealing with the DMV is awful, you must enjoy torture if you willingly buy a car that'll require you to spend more time there.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM

7,049 posts, read 4,816,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I agree you got to get the VIN number first and rule out any "monkey business" first.You got to find out the title status on the car . I wonder if there is a lien on it being that new and hidden in a barn for that long?????There may be several repo guys looking for it right now..You don't know
^^This is what I was thinking. The seller seems to be a kid, it was his father's car. Father supposedly came into possession of it "without the title", so it's been sitting. I don't think Dad had registered it either.

I'd never give money or buy the thing without researching, or especially without the title. I was just wondering where to start if I were to try to do the title research. Will probably see if the VIN is available, maybe go take a look at it and see if it actually starts. While it doesn't seem like an actual *scam*, I doubt the whole thing is totally legit.

Thanks everyone for the constructive advice!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,101 times
You can have the local DMV do a VIN no. search to see if a title exists for the vehicle. If not, you'll have to apply for a salvage title which can be quite expensive depending on what state you're in.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
... I was just wondering where to start if I were to try to do the title research. Will probably see if the VIN is available, maybe go take a look at it and see if it actually starts. While it doesn't seem like an actual *scam*, I doubt the whole thing is totally legit.
!
You can run the VIN at local DMV and they will usually give you the last registered owner addy. You write them a certified letter requesting "Relinquishment of Ownership" (Forms available at local DMV, or online). (bit more difficult in the event of death / estate, but possible, I had to do it on 5 cars last yr, that I sold for a friend that had died unexpectedly)

A friendly cop can get the previous owner addy.

CarFax will give you general registration info, and a little detective work will get you to the owner.

You will need to get a REPLACEMENT title from the state it was last titled, unless you can declare it as abandoned or under a mechanics lien. Once you get the replacement title, you STILL need to get it transferred to you. All things are possible

Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Craig's List....no title = run as fast as you can

Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
my advice would be to run away from that car as fast as you can. no title sometimes means that an owner along the way lost the title and never applied for a duplicate title. but the downside is it can also mean the car was stolen at some point and has passed from owner to owner without popping up on some leos radar. in the end cars with no title are far too much hassle to deal with, at least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive