Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

For us the best has always been a full sized conversion van. You cannot find a more comfortable vehicle. The height of the seats makes a big difference. There is a ton of room. You can sleep in in in a pinch. While underway, your passengers can readily more around, trade seats, etc. You can get all kind of consoles and compartments to hold stuff at hand.

If you have multiple drivers, it is pretty easy for one to sleep while another drives. If you want, you can drive 24 hours with switching off between driving and sleeping (do not have to but that is an option). Rather than searching for a hotel, you can just pull over and crash in a pinch. The TV/DVD/Game Counseo0le is great for nighttime if you have kids (or even if you do not). They usually have an upgraded alternator, so you can put in a BA inverter and power any of you home items tha may be useful.

The gas mileage is not great (Something like 15/20), but it is well worth a little added cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Strange as it may seam, my favorite road trip car is..... a giant 4x4 turbo diesel truck.

I'm 6'1" and the seats are very comfortable, it's the right height for me to get in and out off and to load the kids. 8ft bed with topper... bring anything you like. Safely dictates (in my climate) that I carry four USGI sleeping system + foam mats. That just about kills it for a normal sized car, but doesn't make a dint into the 8ft bed.

No one ever tailgates, no one ever cuts you off or camps in the left lane. You can see over 99.99% of everything.

Despite being 20ft long and over 8,000lb it passes with ease (~500hp and 1000 lb/ft of torque). I don't even have to change down a gear. It'll pull from 40mph to 100+ in 6th gear. It does not loose much power at altitude (critical where I live at 10,000ft). It's gets 20mpg and with a 32 gal tank will go around 600 miles.

On really long road trips it'll tow our camper with ease. Nothing like having your own kitchen, shower, toilet and beds.

Obviously big trucks will not work for most who live in the city, but for us it has been awesome. Which was a big surprise to me as I've always had little Japanese cars.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
One thing I always look for in a good road trip car, aside from good seats, A/C or heat that works well, ride, noise, etc., is it MUST track well. I drive 6hrs in a truck that didn't track well and it is extremely fatiguing to have to constantly correct the steering and fight the wandering.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
After many long haul trips, and still only being 25. The best car that I've driven for something like that is a cadillac STS i think. It had a v8 northstar under the hood so it didn't get "great" gas mileage but it also didn't get bad gas mileage.

The seats were more than comfortable, and when you're the driver going from seattle-detroit with basically no stops, that helps a lot.

Cruise control is the most important thing in the world.

So my take on it, pay the extra money and get a luxury car. The suspension and handling of it matched with the comfort of the seats will be more than worth it in the end.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What is the best car for a person who often goes on long-haul road trips?

Characteristics of such a car would include comfortable seats (that remain comfortable over long distances) spaciousness, and decent highway gas mileage.

Also, are domestics still better than imports in this category?

Are you traveling alone or with x # of passengers?

For a couple, one of the most comfortable road trips my wife and I took was from eastern Quebec to West Texas (about 2500 miles) in a Nissan Atlima SEL a few years ago. Very nice seats, great sound system and good gas mileage, too. It would be cramped for four, but space was no problem for the two of us.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Toyota 4Runner

Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
I just came back from a trip to Vegas and LA (from SLC) in a new Challenger R/T.

BEST-ROADTRIP-CAR-EVER!!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I just came back from a trip to Vegas and LA (from SLC) in a new Challenger R/T.

BEST-ROADTRIP-CAR-EVER!!
Beautiful looking cars. My wife really wants one, but they're down 40% on power up here.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I'd say mini van has cab drivers have learned. Good mileage ;plenty of room. and evry confortable seating with plnety of leg room and good ride.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Wow this thread is all over the place. I think a general theme is to buy luxury, whether it be a car or SUV. I personally have the most fun on a road trip in a sports car, but for repetitive long haul road trips, a luxury SUV is my weapon of choice. Better all around vision, bigger gas tank, can see over cars in front of you, very little road noise, can haul at least 5 adults and some baggage, or two adults and a lot of stuff with the rear seats laid down. Worse case scenario also, if you get stranded in the middle of nowhere you can sleep in an SUV pretty easily.

I'd recommend any German midsize SUV, X5, Cayenne, etc. They are built for long drives on the autobahn, and the seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in, and this includes plenty of luxury sedans, like a Towncar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive