Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
Texting while driving in FL is not illegal nor is cell phone usage. Our legislature, in their infinite wisdom, have a bill which states you can be warned or fined for texting but only if stopped for another violation. As if you see the red lights behind you and know there's going to be a cop at your window, you would be dumb enough to continue texting. But then I suppose some of the stupids who are texting while driving would feel the need to finish and send even if it meant they would get (horrors) a fine (no points on license).
Well, you know...... it's SUPER important for Susie to tell her BFF that Johnny poked her on Facebook. Like, more important than avoiding a traffic ticket or accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
If the cops wanted to catch the texting drivers they would just sit outside of the student parking lot at any high school when the girls are leaving in their own cars...They start the tex walking to their car and continue it as they drive away. Cops do want to catch them evidently.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My last friend to be killed was hit by a 'right lane' cell phone user.

I have been hit 4x by cell phone users (After a 40 yr accident free CDL career).

I'm not impressed with your recommendation.

If you are going to text constantly on the freeway, at least do it in the right lane.

Please Don't DRIVE while distracted or tired.
Well, very true, can't disagree with you there.

Just to be clear, I was being sort of tongue in cheek and not actually recommending that people text in the right lane of the freeway, or anywhere else while driving for that matter.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Who the hell is driving 3 mph?! Just don't text and drive. Simple.
On evening cruises around the neighborhood I've been known to crawl at 3 mph when I see something interesting, but yes, very few people are driving at 3 mph. I was using that as an example of texting not being as dangerous as it would be under normal driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sure, life is easier with our current technology, but you aren't going to melt into oblivion if you cannot text for 10 minutes while driving. Seriously!!!
When you're driving you should pay attention to the road and to the other cars - simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
If the cops wanted to catch the texting drivers they would just sit outside of the student parking lot at any high school when the girls are leaving in their own cars...They start the tex walking to their car and continue it as they drive away. Cops do want to catch them evidently.
I think you're proposing what can be described as a "text trap". Maybe some of the police on speed trap duty could be reassigned .

Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Another "others drive like morons" thread?
How about a school bus on FWY in TN, going 75, with driver doing makeup with one hand and holding Big Mac in the other and steering with her knees? Texting is nothing comparing to that.
"Nothing" compared to that? They are both incredibly stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
Texting while driving in FL is not illegal nor is cell phone usage. Our legislature, in their infinite wisdom, have a bill which states you can be warned or fined for texting but only if stopped for another violation. As if you see the red lights behind you and know there's going to be a cop at your window, you would be dumb enough to continue texting. But then I suppose some of the stupids who are texting while driving would feel the need to finish and send even if it meant they would get (horrors) a fine (no points on license).
WHY would legislators vote AGAINST this law? Seriously, I don't understand. There is simply no way to text and drive safely. There shouldn't HAVE to be a law, but since there are so many stupid people driving, at least with a law there can be penalties for those who are caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I mean...it is not as though driving a car with minimal competence is a difficult task; and the potential risks to self and others for not doing so are potentially huge. When I see people willfully and deliberately making the CHOICE to endanger themselves, their passengers and all other drivers for something as asinine as texting, like that stupid woman in the Chevy Venture...well, it makes me quite stabby.
^^^ Yep. I don't get it at all.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
On evening cruises around the neighborhood I've been known to crawl at 3 mph when I see something interesting, but yes, very few people are driving at 3 mph. I was using that as an example of texting not being as dangerous as it would be under normal driving .
Newsflash.. a 3000-6000 lb auto "hurts" just as bad when runnng over someone at 3mph as it does at 25mph. ONE of the reasons for stop signs over yield signs in certain places.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
If I were you and noticed without a doubt she was swerving in the lane and had a small child in the vehicle I would call the police and provide her license plate information. Texting while driving is illegal in most states.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Newsflash.. a 3000-6000 lb auto "hurts" just as bad when runnng over someone at 3mph as it does at 25mph.
Well, I think it's safe to assume via basic physics that the 25 mph collision would do much more damage to our unfortunate pedestrian than the 3 mph collision would, although any collision at all would be pretty awful. It should also be noted that with the exception of the handicapped, pedestrians find it effortless to avoid a car that's moving at such a slow speed.

Quote:
ONE of the reasons for stop signs over yield signs in certain places.
If a driver isn't competent enough to know if there's a pedestrian in front of him, then he shouldn't be driving. Any car that is moving at a crawl will be able to stop almost instantly if required. At most intersections full stops don't improve safety, they just waste gasoline.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
We need stop signs to establish just who is at fault when a pedestrian is ran over. Without it the drivers would try to blame it on the pedestrians.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Well, I think it's safe to assume via basic physics that the 25 mph collision would do much more damage to our unfortunate pedestrian than the 3 mph collision would, although any collision at all would be pretty awful. It should also be noted that with the exception of the handicapped, pedestrians find it effortless to avoid a car that's moving at such a slow speed.

If a driver isn't competent enough to know if there's a pedestrian in front of him, then he shouldn't be driving. Any car that is moving at a crawl will be able to stop almost instantly if required. At most intersections full stops don't improve safety, they just waste gasoline.

I guess we should should get rid of stop signs then.. what ever makes your "crawling speed" texting easier.. most retarded thing said today is above..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive