Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
Why the heck are 2 door cars so hard to come by. I'm looking for a decent 2 door car for my needs. (a four door is not an option) It seems they are very expensive and used ones are hard to come by.. any ideas?
There are not as many but they are not generally hard to come by. There are tons of 2 door cars out there. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Altima coupe, Accord coupe, Civic coupe, Genesis coupe, Scion TC, Cobalt... and none of that includes premium brands, true sports cars (Corvette, 370Z, BRZ, etc), or everything which is available used and was manufactered within the last 5 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Heh, I dunno what the needs are that can only be better suited by having two fewer doors. Can't think of many. It doesn't make the car cheaper or more efficient or in many cases even look better. They're not significantly lighter weight and often not even shorter than their 4-door counterparts. I suppose if you're going to put in a roll cage and race it or something there might be an advantage. And I suppose in a few cases it makes for better ingress/egress but you have to be able to open the door wide to gain that advantage. Which to me means most of the time it makes for WORSE access because you can't open a longer door as wide as you can open a shorter one.

I can tell you after over 2 decades straight of driving 2-door cars, I'm ready for a 4-door car just to have easier access to toss junk into the back seat. And for the occasional time that someone might sit there. But it's so infrequent.

I don't know that 2-doors are that hard to come by, doesn't seem so to me, but they don't reside in the middle-range for the most part. Most are either econo cars or luxury coupes and sports cars. If you're open to a wide range you shouldn't have that much trouble. If this car must have 2 doors but also must be at least x big or something else then you will indeed have fewer choices.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
If you are looking for a fun 2 door car that is not heavy on price you may want to consider the Fiat 500 they start around $15,000 new. Also Hyundai has the 2 door Elantra, noticed someone mentioned that. Think it starts around $17,000. Honda Civic comes as a 2 door model and is cost effective for a new car. Even the Mini can be had for around $20,000 or so

As far as used cars that are 2 door, any of the above can be found at Car max and other lots. Some new car dealers have been selling used Fiat's that used to be rental cars. You can also find some nice Mini's used as well as BMW 1 and 3 series 2 door models.

Like the OP I prefer a 2 door car. My ideal car would be a 2 door, 6 speed manual, rag top.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why do you have to have a 2 door?
Because I feel it's a lot more sporty looking then a 4 door car. 4 door cars scream family car to me, two door looks more sporty, single or married without kids. But your right it's a pain to put the baby car seat in the back seat.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Because I feel it's a lot more sporty looking then a 4 door car. 4 door cars scream family car to me, two door looks more sporty, single or married without kids. But your right it's a pain to put the baby car seat in the back seat.
I thought the same thing. I drove nothing but two door cars through my teens and 20's. I had Mustangs, Camaros, G35 coupe, Lincoln Mark 8, etc.

Then i decided to grow up but didn't want to lose the sporty edge, so i bought a G37 sedan 6-spd. 4-doors, but 330HP. I loved that car. Drove awesome, fast, looked sharp. Now i have a '12 Mercedes Benz C300 with the sport package. 4-doors, but definitely sporty.

I'm single, no kids or wife and have never heard anyone refer to it as a "family" car. It's never even crossed my mind that it's a family car. Typically the only use my backseat gets is putting my laptop or gym clothes on it.

But before buying a 4-door car i was a serious member of the "Only 2-door cars are sporty" club. Now i just see it as a silly arguement to make.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
OP-why don't you spell out what you need? Your tiny cryptic answers will not get you any recommendations. Why is a 4 door car "not an option"?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I thought the same thing. I drove nothing but two door cars through my teens and 20's. I had Mustangs, Camaros, G35 coupe, Lincoln Mark 8, etc.

Then i decided to grow up but didn't want to lose the sporty edge, so i bought a G37 sedan 6-spd. 4-doors, but 330HP. I loved that car. Drove awesome, fast, looked sharp. Now i have a '12 Mercedes Benz C300 with the sport package. 4-doors, but definitely sporty.

I'm single, no kids or wife and have never heard anyone refer to it as a "family" car. It's never even crossed my mind that it's a family car. Typically the only use my backseat gets is putting my laptop or gym clothes on it.

But before buying a 4-door car i was a serious member of the "Only 2-door cars are sporty" club. Now i just see it as a silly arguement to make.
^^^ That makes a lot of sense...

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,767 times
Considering the pre-owned market, then there are loads of options. My personal favorite would probably be a recent Mazda MX-5 Miata. Also a recent Mustang, great muscle car.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
I think it's odd that there are less 2 doors cars than there were 40 years ago. With the average family size declining, you'd think there would be more demand for 2 door cars, not less . I guess one could chalk it up to fashion. Anyway, I prefer a wider 2-door car, since I don't regularly transport rear seat passengers, 2 doors look cooler , and in my view having to open and close all those doors all the time to get stuff from the back seat becomes a real inconvenience.

When I go on a road trip in a coupe, I open the front door, pull up the seat, load my stuff in the back, then I get in the seat and close the door. There's only one door to fool with. With a sedan, I'd have to open the back door, load my stuff in the back, close the back door, open the front door, get in the seat, and then close the front door. The latter is more involved in my opinion. If I did transport rear passengers regularly, I'd get a 4-door car for easier access, but since I don't I don't need four doors. Having a 2-door car is a symbol of being young and unattached, which is something that many (including myself) see as attractive. A 2-door car will never be seen as a family transport or a symbol of parenthood, and having security from that sort of perception is an attractive characteristic for a car. This assumes that you don't need family transport; honestly, many people don't transport more than one other person around on a regular basis, so a coupe is just fine for them.

There will always be more sedans than coupes, but I think coupes today are underrated. That said, there are plenty of coupes available, so perhaps you're just having bad luck in your city or region. Try looking somewhere else.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
This varies a lot though. The right 2-door car can be sporty looking, but there are plenty that aren't so much. Also the right 4-door car isn't necessarily family-looking to me. Actually it's SUVs (and a few remaining minivans) that scream family anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive