Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,162,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The part about not wasting time makes sense, but most people who perform DIY repairs do so to save money.
Everybody is different with different priorities and skills.

I for one can use my time in a more productive way (to make a lot more money) than what I'd save by fixing my car (to save money). But I own a business, so sky is the limit on how much more I can do.
Hence the reason that I'd only work on a car as a hobby, but also know that does not apply to everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
A lot of people seem to forget this, or they have so much free time on their hands it doesn't register. The reality is unless you're a mechanic or car repair is your main hobby, it's a HUGE time investment.
Im going to disagree. Sure taking out an engine isn't a 2 hour thing....it might take 2 hours just to get the thing out! Now changing brakes, struts, oil change, replacing the alternator (depending on position). Stuff like that isn't that hard if you have done any mechanical work. Plus the more you do it the easier it gets.

My GF's PT Crusier needed some struts and other minor things fixed (at least that's what they told her) and it was $1900 to fix it all. My dad looked at the paper explaining what was needed and laughed. Maybe a few hundred in parts at best and the rest was labor. He was working a lot of OT at the time so my gf's parents friend fixed it for $800 at their place. That $1900 would have wiped our emergency fund and our savings completely out. We don't make much.

I have plenty of time, but not so much money. At even $75 an hour in labor (which it can be up to $150 I've heard) and I make $13.20 an hour. It make sense to save that money and fix my own repairs if I possibly can. I work 40 hours or so a week.....plenty of time left to fix a car. My dad has saved probably tens of thousands of dollars by now.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Everybody is different with different priorities and skills.

I for one can use my time in a more productive way (to make a lot more money) than what I'd save by fixing my car (to save money). But I own a business, so sky is the limit on how much more I can do.
Hence the reason that I'd only work on a car as a hobby, but also know that does not apply to everybody.
If you can make more than the $75 labor rate (minimum) and don't have the skills or time then it makes sense to pay the mechanic. If you don't make anywhere near that labor rate and posess the skills and have the time you can save quite a hefty penny doing your own repairs.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
If you had $35k to spend which would you rather have, a 2011 higher class pre-owned car with low miles (< 30k) costing $45-50k new or a brand new lower model car.
When you say "higher class", if you mean, for example, a Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, or BMW, then I would probably go with the pre-owned vehicle depending on three things:

1. Is it a certified pre-owned vehicle?,

2. Can you buy an extended warranty on the vehicle?, and

3. Does it come with a Carfax or similar vehicle report?

If those three things all checked out, then I would probably go with the pre-owned vehicle.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Depends completely on your situation.

NEW:
If it's your only car and you need it daily for transportation needs.
If you are "all thumbs" and prefer to let a mechanic deal with ALL repairs.
If you drive quite often alone and at night.
If you plan on buying another car once the warranty has expired.

USED:
If it's an alternate vehicle and you have other means of transportation if needed.
If you are relatively handy with fixing mechanical troubles.
If you value your dollar more than your conveniences.
If you need transportation but money is more importantly used elsewhere in your budget.

Also, remember if a used car is for sale there is probably a reason related to the operation or use of the vehicle. Most people don't sell a vehicle because they are tired of the color, the ashtray is full or their Mother-in-law wants more room in the back seat.
I think that once upon a time (like back in the 80s and before) that was true but not so much now. It is so easy to get financing today that, in most cases, the only determining factor is how much negative equity the buyer is willing to absorb. So, many people are willing to part with their perfectly functioning, older vehicle for something newer.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I think that once upon a time (like back in the 80s and before) that was true but not so much now. It is so easy to get financing today that, in most cases, the only determining factor is how much negative equity the buyer is willing to absorb. So, many people are willing to part with their perfectly functioning, older vehicle for something newer.
I bet this is especially true in premium brands. Lots of off lease cars, and cars bought and traded in by people who are fairly financially secure and prefer to drive newer, lower mile vehicles.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Im going to disagree. Sure taking out an engine isn't a 2 hour thing....it might take 2 hours just to get the thing out! Now changing brakes, struts, oil change, replacing the alternator (depending on position). Stuff like that isn't that hard if you have done any mechanical work. Plus the more you do it the easier it gets.

My GF's PT Crusier needed some struts and other minor things fixed (at least that's what they told her) and it was $1900 to fix it all. My dad looked at the paper explaining what was needed and laughed. Maybe a few hundred in parts at best and the rest was labor. He was working a lot of OT at the time so my gf's parents friend fixed it for $800 at their place. That $1900 would have wiped our emergency fund and our savings completely out. We don't make much.

I have plenty of time, but not so much money. At even $75 an hour in labor (which it can be up to $150 I've heard) and I make $13.20 an hour. It make sense to save that money and fix my own repairs if I possibly can. I work 40 hours or so a week.....plenty of time left to fix a car. My dad has saved probably tens of thousands of dollars by now.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It makes sense to DIY if you have a low opportunity cost, but let's say you had the chance to work for $50/hr in your free time. The difference between mechanic costs and your opportunity cost would change considerably. At that point it's a hobby not something you do to save money. You wouldn't really be saving anything when you take into account the tool cost, diagnosis time, parts research and procurement along with the unexpected - broken or stripped bolts that add hours to the job.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It makes sense to DIY if you have a low opportunity cost, but let's say you had the chance to work for $50/hr in your free time. The difference between mechanic costs and your opportunity cost would change considerably. At that point it's a hobby not something you do to save money. You wouldn't really be saving anything when you take into account the tool cost, diagnosis time, parts research and procurement along with the unexpected - broken or stripped bolts that add hours to the job.
Agreed.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
The 2011 most definitely! It should be a reliable car. We've had nothing but luck in my family with used cars. In fact, my next car (coming home tomorrow!) is a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with navigation! It cost about $33k new, it was $22k used with 41,000 miles on it. For a Honda, that's nothing in miles.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM

307 posts, read 684,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Two vehicles will cost more on insurance?
I have an old car and a bike. Insurance for both is about $800 a year, full coverage on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive