Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,144 times

Advertisements

Am looking to invest in an Independent Auto Repair shop. I'll be the passive investor and the other person will be actively running the business. We will be taking over an existing shop that's not doing well so in a sense starting from scratch.

What would be the average revenue per month for say, 4 bay repair shop with a small office and on a main road with decent traffic? I already know monthly rent will be between 3000-4000 dollars.

The return will be a percentage of the monthly revenue and to make the numbers work I have to make some estimates(assumption) and appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Am looking to invest in an Independent Auto Repair shop. I'll be the passive investor and the other person will be actively running the business. We will be taking over an existing shop that's not doing well so in a sense starting from scratch.

What would be the average revenue per month for say, 4 bay repair shop with a small office and on a main road with decent traffic? I already know monthly rent will be between 3000-4000 dollars.

The return will be a percentage of the monthly revenue and to make the numbers work I have to make some estimates(assumption) and appreciate your help.
We don't know what city you're in or how much competition there is, among other things.

There are just too darn many variables involved to throw this out on an internet forum and expect to get any useful responses. Better to find the owner of a shop similar to what you want to run in a similarly-sized city in your part of the country (not close enough to be a competitor, of course) who is willing to act as a mentor and ask him or her these questions.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
Only thing I can say is you better find out why the former business is not making money. You can have the best mechanics in the world working there and if no one shows up wanting work you and they both dont make squat.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Only thing I can say is you better find out why the former business is not making money. You can have the best mechanics in the world working there and if no one shows up wanting work you and they both dont make squat.
Buying a failing shop is a huge risk. There is a reason that shop failed, and if it has a bad reputation, its going to take a lot more then a new owner to change that perception

Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
Three words: Don't do it.

Honestly - and seriously - if you don't know any more than this about the business of a repair shop, I'd strongly suggest you decline. I don't want to be insulting, but there are just too many obstacles on this one.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Three words: Don't do it.

Honestly - and seriously - if you don't know any more than this about the business of a repair shop, I'd strongly suggest you decline. I don't want to be insulting, but there are just too many obstacles on this one.
Again, no one is born with the knowledge of running a business. You seem to make a generic comment and what is it based on? your experience running businesses? Am not trying to be insulting but trying to understand how you arrived at the conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
We don't know what city you're in or how much competition there is, among other things.
This is in Orlando, FL. The most I have from an information stand-point is the for sale listings online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Only thing I can say is you better find out why the former business is not making money.
From what I can gather, the former owner of the business wasn't or hasn't been spending money on marketing or actively pushing to gain visibility in the community and plus, the current lease runs out in the next few months so he maybe looking to get out of it even with small losses. The new owner(or the one seeking the business) has been in the auto repair business for 25+ years and thinks he can turn the ship around.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Again, no one is born with the knowledge of running a business. You seem to make a generic comment and what is it based on? your experience running businesses? Am not trying to be insulting but trying to understand how you arrived at the conclusion.
Many years of owning/operating just such a shop.

Let me ask you several questions, that might help us clarify if this could be a good jump for you?
1. Do you have experience running a business? If "yes" you're at first base, if "no" this isn't a good sign.
2. Are you a mechanic? If "no," you're going to be speaking a foreign language to almost everybody.
3. Do you have deep, deep pockets? It's going to take a LOT of money to get this business going - and it will take far longer to start turning a profit than you'd think.

If this were a successfully running business, and you were simply infusing capital as an investment, that'd be one thing. But starting from "worse than scratch" is going to be really tough. Not impossible, but not easy. Do you think you're up for the adventure?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Many years of owning/operating just such a shop.

Let me ask you several questions, that might help us clarify if this could be a good jump for you?
1. Do you have experience running a business? If "yes" you're at first base, if "no" this isn't a good sign.
2. Are you a mechanic? If "no," you're going to be speaking a foreign language to almost everybody.
3. Do you have deep, deep pockets? It's going to take a LOT of money to get this business going - and it will take far longer to start turning a profit than you'd think.

If this were a successfully running business, and you were simply infusing capital as an investment, that'd be one thing. But starting from "worse than scratch" is going to be really tough. Not impossible, but not easy. Do you think you're up for the adventure?
Thanks for asking me these questions.

1. Yes but not in the automotive field.
2. No. however, am not looking to work in the shop, will be a passive investor.
3. I know the MAX amount that I can invest and will be a one-time investment and not on-going and can wait upto 2 years for payback.

What I want to know is - a ballpark average monthly revenue for a 4 bay repair shop.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for asking me these questions.

1. Yes but not in the automotive field.
2. No. however, am not looking to work in the shop, will be a passive investor.
3. I know the MAX amount that I can invest and will be a one-time investment and not on-going and can wait upto 2 years for payback.

What I want to know is - a ballpark average monthly revenue for a 4 bay repair shop.
I simply cannot give you that kind of a number. There are too many variables - both with income, and expenditures. Sorry.

I guess one main question you need to answer is, "Can you afford to lose the entirety of your investment?" This is a high-risk investment. The majority of business ventures fail within 2 years. But if you can live without the money, and can wait 5 years for return, you might be alright.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
What marketing strategy do you plan to use. ? If you dont have an answer you are totally unprepared to take the gamble. You need to do your home work first .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive