Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see an American Autobahn?
I'd Love to have German-esque highway speeds 60 66.67%
I'd Hate to have German-esque highway speeds 19 21.11%
I don't really care one way or the other 11 12.22%
I'm still trying to look up the word Autobahn 0 0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMonzstarr View Post
Keep it at 85!!!. My states speed limit for the highway is 65mph and everybody does 80 when there 'aren't any cops in sight' lol. What does that turn into when the speed limit is already 85?...105mph?. Really where do you need to get to so quickly?.
As I posted earlier, There was a study that most drivers won't feel comfortable doing speeds in excess of 90 MPH. So everyone would maybe be going 90 instead of the posted 85. It would just be like now where even though the speed limit is 65, or 70 there will still be those people going well over the speed limit.

Disclaimer: I did a quick internet search and couldn't find the study so I can't post the data results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
As I posted earlier, There was a study that most drivers won't feel comfortable doing speeds in excess of 90 MPH. So everyone would maybe be going 90 instead of the posted 85. It would just be like now where even though the speed limit is 65, or 70 there will still be those people going well over the speed limit.

Disclaimer: I did a quick internet search and couldn't find the study so I can't post the data results.
while overseas I observed exactly what you described. I don't know if it was that people didn't feel comfortable at faster speeds, but I many didn't seem to have a desire to drive at those speeds. There are major differences in driving styles however, people don't camp in the left hand lane, and if you're passing another vehicle you do so and get out of the way for your own safety! Not to mention that it's the law.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
So I know we saw the article a few months back about the strip of Texas interstate that was given an 85 MPH speed limit. These speed is about equal to the 120 MPH speed limit found on much of Germany's autobahn, with smaller areas being "speed unlimited in sparsely populated places". Why hasn't an American Autobahn been pushed here in the States? Why would it succeed, and why would it fail...and furthermore, would you be interested in one?
Hi flynavyj--

There are stretches of the current Interstate - the ones that have been rebuilt or upgraded in recent years - where you could safely do double the current speed limit if you had a good car (and a good drive behind the wheel). I argued that you could have easily done 130 on I-75 given the wide lanes, long straights, and rather gentle curves.

Of course, there's two big caveats there: 1) the car, and 2) the driver.

A lot of states don't have inspections and in any case a lot of people fail to maintain their vehicles properly. And the drivers... well, hang up and drive, that's a start.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi flynavyj--

There are stretches of the current Interstate - the ones that have been rebuilt or upgraded in recent years - where you could safely do double the current speed limit if you had a good car (and a good drive behind the wheel). I argued that you could have easily done 130 on I-75 given the wide lanes, long straights, and rather gentle curves.

A lot of states don't have inspections and in any case a lot of people fail to maintain their vehicles properly. And the drivers... well, hang up and drive, that's a start.

I routinely drive 80-100 between Detroit and Cincinnati.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMonzstarr View Post
Keep it at 85!!!. My states speed limit for the highway is 65mph and everybody does 80 when there 'aren't any cops in sight' lol. What does that turn into when the speed limit is already 85?...105mph?. Really where do you need to get to so quickly?.

Why do you care? Slower traffic keep right.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi flynavyj--

You touched the 3) caveat at the end of your post...the Other Drivers.

Driver education would be a huge part of this, large lanes would also be a big deal. Something I noticed were the "pull offs" for emergencies. In general the autobahn Lanes seemed wider than typical highway lanes here, but they didn't have much shoulder. However, every 1500 feet or so I noticed a "pull off" with enough room to get your disabled car out of the way of traffic. They seemed to be spaced close enough that you could coast to one from typical highway speed, seems like a better idea than paving a whole lot of shoulder the entire length of a highway.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I routinely drive 80-100 between Detroit and Cincinnati.

The normal traffic flow speed is between 75-85 on I95 between Richmond and Alexandria. I average 70-80 daily during my commute from Vienna and Rockville on I495.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The normal traffic flow speed is between 75-85 on I95 between Richmond and Alexandria. I average 70-80 daily during my commute from Vienna and Rockville on I495.
I couldn't even sniff that speed heading on I-95 from Manassas/Woodbridge (Prince William Parkway).

Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
I'd rather have Europe's high speed rail then their high speed highways.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
So I know we saw the article a few months back about the strip of Texas interstate that was given an 85 MPH speed limit. These speed is about equal to the 120 MPH speed limit found on much of Germany's autobahn, with smaller areas being "speed unlimited in sparsely populated places". Why hasn't an American Autobahn been pushed here in the States? Why would it succeed, and why would it fail...and furthermore, would you be interested in one?
well makes owning a Corvette more fun since a GT-500 blows by you at close to 200MPH in the fast lane and a normal cars are just not made to driven at those speeds since proper and inspected and inflated tires performance tires are important.

As are aerodynamics, elevation , down force, lift, outside temperature and drag as well as horsepower factors into it all and car made to gety the most cargo and best fuel economy and are not all out low slung all out sport scars that were from day one designed with high speed driving in mind should not go beyond d the seed rating of their tire in perfect conditions even in optimal conditions without going through the car to make sure it is able for those speeds and everything is in perfect condition and everything is check and the rechecked to be tight and within factory recommended specs.

so unless the the car is set up for those speeds a bad aliment or any visible damage like curb rash and even a small tear of the sidewall on the tire leaking any fluids and then you are not going to get cleared at a NHRA or SCCA pre-race safety and vehicle Inspection to get the go ahead to be allowed to participate which is why cars have the highly visible numbers circled to the track officials put on the windows by the inspection your car has to pass depending on how fast or what class you race in.

Then and sign the forms that the track is not liable or accountable if you wreck or throw a rod or your tranny blows so they are saying that you are liable to race and meet all mandatory safety requirements to be allowed on any track and if something goes wrong your factory warranty is void on the track.

If you leave a mess on the track and it takes a long time to clean up something lets go and is very expensive to do it right and has to be cleaned and inspected and reheated and many times before racing resumes and since people do not maintain their daily drivers to the factory recommended checks then it puts people at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive