Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times

Advertisements

years ago my dad was driving on a WI backroad in their Dodge Polara. Deer ran out which was "common", but ran right into the driver's door. Head went thru the glass and knocked my dad onto the passenger seat (yeah, seatbelt use wasnt followed much back then). At one time he was a golden gloves boxer but said that was one of the harder hits he ever took to the head. Quite thankful it was a doe and not a buck.
It creamed the door in, i could only imagine what the same outcome would have been on a newer/smaller car then that big old boat.

Now i've hit several deer over the years back home in WI but in most cases saw them coming even if left little reaction time. Never had one hit my side though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Like maybe an iPad that fell off another car's roof?

iPad flies off of car roof, wedges itself into another car's bumper | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Still worked after!
apple products are no joke. My macbook and ipad both fell out of my backpack when I was doing about 110 on the freeway on my bike and the both still worked when I picked them. I watched my macbook get run over by a semi truck and sent across a lane. Picked it up and it was still working like nothing had happened. Had A LOT of road rash though.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM

802 posts, read 1,682,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
apple products are no joke. My macbook and ipad both fell out of my backpack when I was doing about 110 on the freeway on my bike and the both still worked when I picked them. I watched my macbook get run over by a semi truck and sent across a lane. Picked it up and it was still working like nothing had happened. Had A LOT of road rash though.
lol wow. I was once working out and I put one of my dumbbells down directly on my iPod. It still works despite the fact that there is now a huge engraving where the dumbbell hit.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Glad you are OK.
That Ipad through the bumper is crazy. Did it still work?
In my sports car a rabbit darted out at the perfect time and was totally flattened which was gross because the car is so light we cold really feel the poor critter.
Another time different car returning from the Drive in late night I saw something fly in front of us. The next day a dead bat was in the grill.
On the highway in my truck a chunk of metal hit the windshield richoched off and hung over the hood like the "Matrix" special effect then slammed back into the windshield. Luckily it didn't break.
My wife had something hit her windshield that left a rusty mark on it that can't be cleaned off?
The best or the worst was a dirty biker did a face plant on my van. I was putting along and suddenly WHAM! The guy had run a stop sign. I stopped ran back and he was accusing me of going too fast? He picked up his banged up bike and rode off. I went back to my van to find a flat tire where he had hit me. This was like 20 years ago. Today I would call the cops just to let them know it wasn't my fault.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
You can always tell the out of province vehicles in my area as they don't have a large crack in their windshield.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Mainly small rocks that hit the windshields and caused chips or cracks on the different vehicles I've owned in the past and I own now. The one notable object that hit my car was not an object, but a bird, in 1980 I had a 1977 Camaro and I was driving on Interstate 17 about 40 miles south of Flagstaff on the way back to Phoenix, I was probably going about 75 MPH, and I had a buddy of mine with me, things were quiet when all of the sudden.. BOOOM! It was a very loud thump when a bird, I think it was a gray dove, that was flying above the freeway and going in the opposite direction hit the windshield of the car and it startled the heck out of both of us and it also put a crack in the windshield.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I've hit a deer and had a deer hit me. The firts time wa son the way to work at nite and a deer just leisurely walked out onto the road not wanting to jump down the embankment on the other sid eof the road. I hit him and he died in a minute or two.
The other time it was morning and we were heading to breakfast when a herd of deer ran across the road from one field to another. One cleared the hood of the car in a jump. He was huge, a real corn fed giant. One impacted on the rear quarter panel passenger side. It left a nice dent and I thought for sure it would drop over dead after a few steps but it kept running. We saw some hunters in a farmers field close by and told them to look around to see if it might have laid down so I don't know if it made it or not. Also got a hit to the windshield from snow off a trucks roof but luckily it was snow and not ice.
Funniest thing I saw was a golf ball bouncing along a highway next to a golf course.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I've hit a deer and had a deer hit me. The firts time wa son the way to work at nite and a deer just leisurely walked out onto the road not wanting to jump down the embankment on the other sid eof the road. I hit him and he died in a minute or two.
The other time it was morning and we were heading to breakfast when a herd of deer ran across the road from one field to another. One cleared the hood of the car in a jump. He was huge, a real corn fed giant. One impacted on the rear quarter panel passenger side. It left a nice dent and I thought for sure it would drop over dead after a few steps but it kept running. We saw some hunters in a farmers field close by and told them to look around to see if it might have laid down so I don't know if it made it or not. Also got a hit to the windshield from snow off a trucks roof but luckily it was snow and not ice.
Funniest thing I saw was a golf ball bouncing along a highway next to a golf course.
I hit a deer once on a bridge! I bounced off the front and went into the river!

Glad I'm not the only one who had this type of thing happen to me. Well not really glad, but I don't feel silly anymore with a smashed in door.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
A duck.

Broke the mirror off my truck (passenger side) it was just hanging by the wires. No idea what happened to the duck. He launched from a ditch at the side of the road just as I went by at 55 mph. He just got up over my hood and I though he was clear then he dropped back down a bit and collided with the mirror.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I was driving on a two-lane highway approaching a freeway underpass when something flew over the freeway above and slammed into my hood with a giant !!!!CLANGGG!!!!

I was so startled I pulled over and went and found the object - a hubcap that must have spun off of the freeway above me. My hood had a big dent.

Once I was sitting at a red light and a giant icicle let loose from the light or wires above me and crashed into the roof of my truck. This was right after some well-publicised shooting - Columbine, maybe? I was living in Colorado at that time. Anyway my first thought was that I was being shot at and I dove down into the passenger wheel well. Felt sort of silly when I realised what had actually happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive