Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times

Advertisements

Was at our local "cruise" night yesterday. All the normal 'rods etc. Street Rods, Hot Rods, Rat Rods, so-called "Pro Street" rods...

We made a couple observations; First, the whole "rat rod" scene/fad is really over. Second, it's so unfortunate that many current "hot rods" have automatic transmissions. I know that's the easy way to build one, but c'mon guys, man up and learn how to shift!

In our "club" section (with catered BBQ, wine tasting, etc) there were several cars that I would consider "Investment Grade".
  • Aston Martin DB9
  • Ford GT in Gulf colors (original)
  • Four late 40's woody wagons
  • 40's Chrysler Town & Country woody
  • MG-TC
  • Land Rover 110
  • Morgan +8
  • '32 Ford highboy rod
  • Porsche Speedster
  • 2012 "continuation" Cobra
A few expensive, but unlikely "investment" cars;
  • Ferrari 575M
  • Ferrari 430
  • giant new Rolls Royce
  • Bentley Continental GT coupe
  • Audi R8
  • Bunch of 911's
  • Fake Cobra
  • Fake GT40

Pretty much the norm for a Thursday evening in Encinitas...

Last edited by automobilist; 05-17-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Was at our local "cruise" night yesterday. All the normal 'rods etc. Street Rods, Hot Rods, Rat Rods, so-called "Pro Street" rods...

We made a couple observations; First, the whole "rat rod" scene/fad is really over. Second, it's so unfortunate that many current "hot rods" have automatic transmissions. I know that's the easy way to build one, but c'mon guys, man up and learn how to shift!
Though I doubt the rat rod scene is over totally. I still see a lot of them. While not my cup of tea, i can, for the most part, appreciate what little work is put into one.

I do agree on seeing more autos than manuals...it could be though, since most older cars i see are driven by old people, that they have reached an age where it's not as easy to shift or remember where to shift....also autos involve less work to get them in....just sayin...

Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Though I doubt the rat rod scene is over totally. I still see a lot of them. While not my cup of tea, i can, for the most part, appreciate what little work is put into one.

I do agree on seeing more autos than manuals...it could be though, since most older cars i see are driven by old people, that they have reached an age where it's not as easy to shift or remember where to shift....also autos involve less work to get them in....just sayin...
Many in my local Car Club are now in their 70's and older.

Several have restored Show Winning cars on a National Level and reluctantly made the decision to sell them because physically they could no longer drive them with enjoyment...

Having an automatic would have delayed this for the majority...

Old 05-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Look at any Model T or Model A club, or any real "antique" car group. All stick shifts. Almost all older folks driving them... I'm sure it's primarily the "easy to build factor" that puts so many TH350-400's in current rods. (Although seeing a Powerglide is always cool...) I tend to be in the circles of vintage sports cars, and again, almost all stick shifts, and quite a few driven by pretty old folks.

Oh, and I'm sure we'll see the rat rod style for a while. But as an automotive trend, most car guys I know agree that it's now pretty much relegated to being an accessory item of the owner's costume.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:16 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Many in my local Car Club are now in their 70's and older.

Several have restored Show Winning cars on a National Level and reluctantly made the decision to sell them because physically they could no longer drive them with enjoyment...

Having an automatic would have delayed this for the majority...
I have a solid agreement with my wife about the bottom price for my fairlane in case I were to die.She will get that price in full or have the car crushed. She wont need the money and no one will get the car with a low ball offer.. it is not going to happen

Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
My 57 Ford has 43,000 original miles... I'm the second owner and made many road trips with it in the 70's even towed a vintage 1957 boat to Tahoe with it.

It's an automatic...

Sadly, I have kept it in a carport the last 25 years... not near as good as a garage.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I have a solid agreement with my wife about the bottom price for my fairlane in case I were to die.She will get that price in full or have the car crushed. She wont need the money and no one will get the car with a low ball offer.. it is not going to happen

Now that's a strange plan...
Get full price or crush it? Why not turn that around, and find a worthy person to simply give it to? Surely there is a relative who would cherish it, and if not, find a younger person who maybe can't afford it but would love having it. Giving something that you love to someone who will also love it is a very fine thing to do. Crushing it because you can't get your price for it seems beyond selfish.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,356 times
A car rises in value because it possess some combination of racing pedigree, timeless styling and limited production numbers. The E36 M3 has none of those.

A good bet would be the Ford GT. I've dabbled in the idea of buying one for investment. They've appreciated 50-60% in 6 years.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 6,168 times
Numerous persons address a car an buying into because of the large cost tag. When you make an investment, you assuming that you will receive a return on the cash that you put into the buying into. An buying into will will make you money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive