Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM

9,480 posts, read 16,369,891 times

Advertisements

I imagine they would take it back if you wanted another vehicle. I know there is a clause where a car can be returned and I think it is 3 days but I'm not sure. I bought a new Kia Soul Mar 24th but I'm satisfied with the car. I know a woman here in Arizona that is on her 3rd new car in a month. She buys them and then her back hurts, so she brings it back but she gets another type of car. She is now driving what you have The Honda CRV.

I've wondered how a dealer reacts when someone wants to return the car during that return period. Now I guess we know. They didn't acknowledge you so the time would run out. I never knew the Credit Card people would allow $4000 towards a car. Since they do I would start with them. But then you must have a loan thru some bank for the remainder of the loan. So I don't know what you can do. Contacting a lawyer means a lot of money on your part. I guess I would demand I speak to the General Manager of the Dealer about this. My guess is he or she will see you, but try to talk you into another vehicle. In fact I'm just about sure that is what will happen. Do not spend your time with the salesman. It will be of little to no use. Do not let them repossess the vehicle. You will be hurting for along time with that on your credit report. Plus even if the dealer takes the car back. What are you going to do for a car? Did you trade one in for this Honda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If you had an in writing 3 day return policy and you were within the policy, you should've never left the dealership when you went to return the car.

At this point a lawyer is your best bet
This. I don't understand why people don't stick up for themselves.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If you had an in writing 3 day return policy and you were within the policy, you should've never left the dealership when you went to return the car.

At this point a lawyer is your best bet

I would have been screaming at the top of my lungs that they will not stand behind their word......all sales would have ceased at that place until they got rid of me. OP missed his window of opportunity though it seems like a bad case of buyer's remorse.......Funny I have never gotten a case of that, when I go to buy I have probably been considering the purchase for months!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,100,596 times
The only way I ever got a satisfactory result with a car dealership dispute was
when i contacted the sales manager of my favorite radio station, on which the dealership ran commercials all day long. I told him what happened, with names, and that I was no longer going to listen to their station after n years and would switch to station X because after what happened hearing those commercials made me sick to my stomach. That same day the general manager of the car dealership called and asked if I wanted a check or service department credit. I took the check.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM

133 posts, read 171,196 times
Get a lawyer or unload it.

If you choose unload it, you will lose money.

You will at least be rid of it.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
OP...If there was a clause in the contract and it had a legitimate 3 day return policy then you should have left the car with them in that time period. Does your small print contract give you a 3 day return clause or a 3 day exchange for another vehicle clause. How's the contract worded.
Normally once you get the congratulatory handshake and the keys in the palm of your hand you are automatically the new owner.
I'm surprised the dealer took a credit card down payment. Never heard of it. All the dealers I've dealt with refuse to take credit cards in vehicle deals. They don't want cc disputes and they don't want to pay the discount fee the card companies usually charge.
If you feel you were really and truly slighted by the dealer then maybe get an initial opinion from a lawyer. They usually charge $100.00-150.00 for an initial opinion, then if you want to pursue further then they'll ask for a retainer fee of about $4000.00 or more to pursue the case that would take about 2 + years to resolve.
Your decision.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP...If there was a clause in the contract and it had a legitimate 3 day return policy then you should have left the car with them in that time period. Does your small print contract give you a 3 day return clause or a 3 day exchange for another vehicle clause. How's the contract worded.
also was there a mileage limit within those 3 days?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
... I never knew the Credit Card people would allow $4000 towards a car....
FYI its never been a Credit Card issue. The issue has been the dealerships not wanting to pay the fees associated with that charge. it depends on how much they need the sale and they make the limit whatever they want it to be which is a violation of their agreement with CC companies (but most people don't know that they can call their CC company and tell them of a refused sale).

Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Normally once you get the congratulatory handshake and the keys in the palm of your hand you are automatically the new owner.
I'm surprised the dealer took a credit card down payment. Never heard of it. All the dealers I've dealt with refuse to take credit cards in vehicle deals. They don't want cc disputes and they don't want to pay the discount fee the card companies usually charge.
If you feel you were really and truly slighted by the dealer then maybe get an initial opinion from a lawyer. They usually charge $100.00-150.00 for an initial opinion, then if you want to pursue further then they'll ask for a retainer fee of about $4000.00 or more to pursue the case that would take about 2 + years to resolve.
Your decision.
I did it on my last new car purchase. I know two people who bought cars on their AMEX. One bought a two year old Matrix in a dealership. The other bought a new $70K Jag, over the phone. The latter was an interesting conversation.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,257,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Get a lawyer or suck it up.
Agreed.

Deal with it. Who buys a car and doesn't wait it 2 days later? Your screwed up...drive it or sell it. You learn from your mistakes....I doubt this will ever happen again at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive