Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Not JUST Canada........

lol
What I thought!

So it is YOUR fault my truck is rusting.
Expect a bill forthwith for my brake lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
What I thought!

So it is YOUR fault my truck is rusting.
Expect a bill forthwith for my brake lines.
Hey, it got me too! It rusted out the brake lines on my Wrangler lol

....and the frame, and the floor pans, and the springs, etc, etc.....

In Windsor we just dump it everywhere since we're on top of the mine lol

Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronvonO View Post
Ah yes. Nissans and their brakes and brake lines. Fine vehicles except when it comes to brakes and suspension. I had a Nissan Pathfinder thats lines rusted out on me while driving on the FDR in New York City. One of the worst places on earth to have your breaks go out on you. Luckily it was bumper to bumper traffic when it happened. After an hour and a half and numerous New Yorkers passing by to give me dirty looks or curse at me for making the traffic jam even worse, I got towed to the garage when they handed me the diagnosis of rusted out lines and the price tag attached. Long story short? I bought another vehicle.
How much was it to repair the brake lines for the Pathfinder?

Old 05-11-2013, 04:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Sure, with stick shift, no problem. I rode a bus all night in Peru with the brake line out, the driver just used the engine brake. When he arrived in city traffic, he just stayed in low and switched off the key to stop.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What year did "dual" braking systems start ?? IIRC, master cyl has 2 output lines. one to RF & LR wheels, other to LF & RR. So that any one line failure does not kill all braking.

That only works for about one press. As soon as the line blows, you only have one press to get stopped and that's it. Any more pressing on the pedal will cause it to run the MC dry

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
That only works for about one press. As soon as the line blows, you only have one press to get stopped and that's it. Any more pressing on the pedal will cause it to run the MC dry
Not if the split system meets FMVSS 105..
Even a non-split system is supposed to be good for 10 stops

See Standard No. 105; Hydraulic and electric brake systems. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

S5.1.2 Partial failure.
S5.1.2.1 In vehicles manufactured with a split service brake system, in the event of a rupture or leakage type of failure in a single subsystem, other than a structural failure of a housing that is common to two or more subsystems, the remaining portion(s) of the service brake system shall continue to operate and shall be capable of stopping a vehicle from 60 mph within the corresponding distance specified in column IV of table II.

S5.1.2.2 In vehicles not manufactured with a split service brake system, in the event of any one rupture or leakage type of failure in any component of the service brake system the vehicle shall, by operation of the service brake control, be capable of stopping 10 times consecutively from 60 mph within the corresponding distance specified in column IV of table II.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
I have no breaks but need to get home if I drive it 5 MPH in 2nd gear and when coming to a stop drop to low then slowly push my ebrake in woule that cause alot of damage?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefan1192 View Post
I have no breaks but need to get home if I drive it 5 MPH in 2nd gear and when coming to a stop drop to low then slowly push my ebrake in woule that cause alot of damage?
Hmmm...You have no brakes...and you want to know...Would that cause a lot of damage?

I guess that it all depends on what you hit, due to having no brakes.
Try not to hit pedestrians, buildings, or expensive cars, and you can minimize the financial damage.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:06 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
In a commercial motor vehicle I'll shut you down if I discover a brake line leak, if the vehicle has hydraulic brakes.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefan1192 View Post
This is why I don't trust other people on the road.

I trust my driving and my car. Other people. Not so much.

After some years in automotive servicing. I ve seen the risk people take.. Beyond stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive