Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

Ukrkoz - You'll notice fuel economy is first on my list. So while the Yukon may be great for hauling capacity it is a massive fail in the MPG department.

Plus it's out of my price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
This i what I want, to be able to go on a website and pick your options right down the the ashtray. All the parts the manufacture makes would be compatible with every vehicle the company manufactures, except for a few exceptions. For example, like you can't put a extended truck bed in a 2 door coupe. This way you can truly customize your car. If you wanted the hood one color and the passenger car door another color, that's possible. When the order is paid for, the robots assemble the car as you specified and it's delivered to you within a week or less depending on where you live.

This is what Real Time GPS navigation is for, instead of relying on a helicopter to see what is a few miles ahead, your interactive GPS would inform you what the traffic conditions are like up to 20 miles ahead and suggest alternatives routes to get around the problem area efficiently as possible.
No it will inform you of what the conditions were an hour or three ago. They never have current conditions. They also do not tell you what is happening what your choices are or whether the are policemen about. Plus they are no where near as fun as a remote controlled helicopter. Cost more too I think. Not sure.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No it will inform you of what the conditions were an hour or three ago. They never have current conditions. They also do not tell you what is happening what your choices are or whether the are policemen about.

Actually interactive GPS systems like Waze do inform you of current conditions and where the cops are.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
It's a matter of preference, and my preference is comfort.
And this is why we have inattentive people driving appliances and causing accidents and traffic jams. They want their cars to be living room counches that they don't have to have any interaction with.

Seriously, if you don't want to interact with your car and the road, stay home.

You need to be able feel the road and be held in place in case of an emergency, so you can be 100% in control of the car, and not 50% in control of your living room couch on wheels.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
I don't like a suspension that bounces me around like a bean bag every time I hit a pothole, or that jerks me around constantly due to bumps on the road. To me that's a torture chamber, not being "connected to the road". I like to glide over holes in the road like they aren't there, and there is no safety disadvantage to that - if your car is in trouble you'll know it no matter what kind of suspension you have. Also, in just about every floaty car I've driven I can feel the road and the tires just fine, so I don't see any disadvantage there, either. With a stiff suspension I actually pay less attention to the road because all that jerking exhausts me faster and gets the adrenaline pumping, both being safety disadvantages. Your mileage will vary, of course, but the point is that a smooth ride does not mean you are isolated and disinterested in driving.

A smoother ride in a stronger car is a very desirable characteristic. I for one love to drive, and drive long distances, but I like to be comfortable while doing it. That enables me to go even longer distances at higher speeds and arrive refreshed at my destination.

Below are some of the characteristics I'd want in a car, assuming that I had to have only one car:

- Smooth suspension and smooth gear shifting
- All-wheel drive, preferably considered standard
- A powerful motor, quick acceleration, and high top speed
- Full-size dimensions, with enough leg, hip, and headroom for even the largest person to stretch out either in the front or in the back seat
- A huge trunk
- Dark tint on windows, enough to preclude seeing anything more than a vague outline from the outside
- Intimidating, aggressive appearance, complete with black paint
- Big, wide wheels as a standard feature
- Plush two-tone leather seating, with 20-way power adjustment, massage function, and a very wide range of seating postures (all the way up, all the way back, etc.)
- Every other luxury feature currently found on high-end luxury cars, plus the option to turn almost everything on or off at will, such as seat belt alarms and ABS
- Two-way radio capability
- Beyond-visual range technology like what is currently found in jet fighters

The last one might be too much to ask for at this time, but that's about the size of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

Below are some of the characteristics I'd want in a car, assuming that I had to have only one car:

- Smooth suspension and smooth gear shifting
- All-wheel drive, preferably considered standard
- A powerful motor, quick acceleration, and high top speed
- Full-size dimensions, with enough leg, hip, and headroom for even the largest person to stretch out either in the front or in the back seat
- A huge trunk
- Dark tint on windows, enough to preclude seeing anything more than a vague outline from the outside
- Intimidating, aggressive appearance, complete with black paint
- Big, wide wheels as a standard feature
- Plush two-tone leather seating, with 20-way power adjustment, massage function, and a very wide range of seating postures (all the way up, all the way back, etc.)
- Every other luxury feature currently found on high-end luxury cars, plus the option to turn almost everything on or off at will, such as seat belt alarms and ABS
- Two-way radio capability
- Beyond-visual range technology like what is currently found in jet fighters

The last one might be too much to ask for at this time, but that's about the size of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
And this is why we have inattentive people driving appliances and causing accidents and traffic jams. They want their cars to be living room counches that they don't have to have any interaction with.

Seriously, if you don't want to interact with your car and the road, stay home.

You need to be able feel the road and be held in place in case of an emergency, so you can be 100% in control of the car, and not 50% in control of your living room couch on wheels.

The description "The big meany" is close, although I'd use another word. I KNOW what I'm doing, I operate rolling machines all the time, quite safely. It's the people yapping on cell phones that need to pay more attention. Not me. I was just asking for comfort that we used to have. I don't need my truck to be idiot proof in order to guide it in a specific direction. Obviously you enjoy that. And being arrogant. "Seriously".

Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 AM

209 posts, read 414,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPeace
Peace be on you. I wish new designed cars:
1- A car with driver seat at both ends with essentials so that one do not have to go through drill of reversing and turning around in small areas.

2- A car with four wheel tilt option.

3- A car with option to detach trunk if not needed; leave it at home.

4- A car company, where one can order many car-components according to their choice and economy; basic safety should not be compromised.

Cars will get closer to actual need of the costumer.

Good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
1. Toyota had a concept car that looked like pod sitting between four wheels. Instead of reversing the pod lifted and spun so the back became the front.

2. No clue what function that would serve.

3. Pretty much what a hatchback is, no?

4. Like Scion?
2. No clue what function that would serve.

The Clue:
Four wheel tilt for smaller turning circle, quick lane change.
But the problem is:
-- For smaller turning circle, if one turns the front wheels to the right side, rear wheels should automatically turn to left.
-- For quicker lane change, if one turns front wheel to right slightly, the rear wheels should automatically turn to right too.
?? Car should know that driver is turning in circle, or just changing lane; perhaps system could automatically decide upon the amount of turning of the steering....but it has to be worked properly.

Last edited by PromisedPeace; 05-30-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM

209 posts, read 414,510 times
Peace be on you.

# 14 - This idea /wish views a vehicle (car or van) which has two parallel tube-like structures,
i- with some distance apart, open space like corridor of two? feet between them,
ii- two tubes are connected strongly with each other at proper places,
iii- each tube-like structure has single seats, one after other.
iv- engine in center but not very high, maybe two feet high.

+ Air will easily flow through open area.
+ Fuel consumption less in long drives.
+ Lighter weight.
- May be some difficulty is turning because of air flow through corridor.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
Less blind spots. I was driving my moms Pontiac Torrent, and I've noticed it my dads 2004 F-150 and I look to pass and all I see are these giant plastic pillar covers on all the pillars and tiny windows. My 98 Lincoln Mark VIII has almost complete wrap around glass with hardly a blind spot in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive