Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times

Advertisements

"Like"? I'll put it this way:

I like the fact that trucks exist. Almost everything I own is transported at least part of the way by truck. Trucks are the backbone of our interstate commerce. Businesses and households would have a hard time carrying on without trucks.

Over the years I have had to move on a number of occasions. In addition, I have had times when I've needed to rent or borrow a truck to get something to my house that I couldn't transport in my car. On those occasions the ability to use a truck temporarily has been extremely beneficial.

On the other hand, the majority of truck owners, those who feel cool or tough when they're driving their truck, who use the truck as no more than a car with a higher center of gravity and worse gas mileage: idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
I'm not a truck expert, but I have to say I like my 2006, F-250 Lariat. I had a 26 ft. RV that I pulled, and I never had a problem. And it's gas,too 5.4 . A truck with high end features, like crew-cab can double as a family vehicle, and a work vehicle as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
OP, just need ~$40K to get a fully loaded F-150. Don't waste your money on the higher trims.

Here is a new 2013 4x4 FX4 Ecoboost with all of the luxury packages. Has sunroof, navigation, heated/cooled seats, trailer brake controller, backup cam, HID headlights, blah blah.

This thing looks sweet! I'm thinking of buying a travel trailer so I have an excuse to own this beast. lol

Ford : F-150 FX4 Crew Cab in Ford | eBay Motors

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Never like them, never owned one. My dad always had a pickup, so its not like I didn't have the opportunity to drive one frequently. I don't like the way they handle vs. a car. Always seemed compromised in that area. Can't argue with the utility, but I don't need one but several times a year and I can rent one for hauling something large.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Now, if I had a truck, it’d rarely get driven because it’s a gas hog.
I think the new Tacoma's get about 26mpg and can probably tow just about anything other than heavy construction equipment. Option 2 is, as Beau suggested, to own a car and rent a pickup when you need it.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 20,434 times
I think they are extremely cool. I'm just having a hard time justifying buying one for two reasons:

1) My SUV hauls my boat just find AND it fits in the garage. This is a big deal to those of us who deal w/ snow.

2) There are times when I haul things that I don't want inside my SUV (dead animals, fertilizer). On these rare occasions, it's not a big task to attach a $400 trailer to haul an elk out of the woods, or fertilizer from Home Depot. Attaching this takes 4-5 minutes. That is soooo much more practical than driving around in a truck the other 90% of the time, and having to park outside the garage.

But who doesn't think a new 60K Cummins would be a blast?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Well, that F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in America, but for $55,000 you will get a decked out Limited with all options. In the same price range I’d rather get a Dodge 3500 Ram 6.7L Cummins Turbo diesel MegaCab 4x4, which would probably tow twice as much as the F150.
Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicles for 2012
2013 RAM Trucks | Towing & Payload Specifications | RAM Trucks

Maybe if I won the Lotto I should try renting an RV and Truck, like from here:
https://www.hertzequip.com/herc/rent...trucks+3.4-ton
Enterprise Commercial Trucks - Pickup Truck

I really don’t have a need for a truck 99% of the time unless I towed an RV, and most of the time I feel I don’t need an RV either. Renting both of these would introduce me to this world. But I’ve looked for RV campgrounds near Chicago and NYC and they were very impractical to visit the city, as they were so far away [past Elgin in Chicago]. Houston has good RV campgrounds close to the city. And mostly you can’t visit many city places driving a big truck towing that 25’ RV trailer, plus it might be hard to turn that setup in typical city streets.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I've never owned a car. Always a pick up. My chief complaint is that auto companies don't make small trucks. I just bought a Frontier and if I could have, I would have bought a new Nissan hardbody. Too bad Nissan doesn't make those anymore. I test drove a 2011 F150. It was great but I really didn't want a full size truck. It's so weird that the new full size trucks get the same or better mpg than a small or mid size truck but that's another topic.
Much like nobody really misses Nissan not making a regular cab truck anymore, you won't miss a mini-truck that has to be geared to get v8esque MPGs to get anything done beyond grocery getting. I can't tell you how many folks have told me the MPG figures on their v6 mini-trucks only to hang their heads in shame as my v6 F150 gets better MPGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I inherited my deceased mom's '05 DeVille. I couldn't see keep the truck around as the Caddy got just as good of mileage as the truck and we were needing another car. So, I sold the '05 S-10 cheap.
Hope you don't have to find out sooner than later that you should have kept the s-truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
(In more recent years I've stopped that behavior altogether.)

Besides, SUVs and trucks are the WORST choice for aggressive driving, insomuch that they don't handle as well and are more flip-over prone. Sports cars handle way better and are less flip-over prone, heck even a normal car handles better. I don't think crash protection is what's most important, I think handling is. In driving vehicle that handles better, you're more likely to avoid an accident altogether, which benefits you AND the other person. Crash protection is only for your benefit, and is thus somewhat selfish if you ask me.
At least you got over yourself. Anyway, easy on the rollover fluff. Even a honking 2013 F150 has RSC and traction control standard. No, it doesn't handle like a Corvette, but you're overdoing it on the rollover biz. People roll plenty of low slung cars, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I hate trucks. They're ugly, unnecessarily wasteful (especially when you see one person commuting in them) and usually the WRONG choice for 80% of the driving a person will do.
<snip fluff>
Very easy to rent when needed.
That's your opinion. If you're not paying that supposed 80% of the populaces vehicle notes, just cool it. I don't have my F150 loaded down with a trailer, stuff in the bed and five friends at the same time, but I get 20 MPGs doing what I have to do and it sure beats driving around in chemical plants with a Chevy Aveo like I had to with my last (temp) employer. Trucks easy to rent? In Houston? No way. Someone with a truck will be waiting for your call when you need that assistance, though.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I don't think crash protection is what's most important, I think handling is. In driving vehicle that handles better, you're more likely to avoid an accident altogether, which benefits you AND the other person. Crash protection is only for your benefit, and is thus somewhat selfish if you ask me.
Avoidance is hit and miss (excuse the pun). 99% of my driving I have no where to go to avoid the accident.

There are three choices (assuming you actually have time to react)

1) Stand your ground and steer into the impact to minimize rollover and/or getting pushed down the hill, rolling all the while.

2) Head into oncoming traffic

3) Run off the road and roll down the hill until your skull cracks and your brains spill out. Air bags are not going to save you when you roll more than a few times and at highway speeds you're going to roll, a lot.

I would much rather hit a dear or elk in a 9,000lb truck than a 3,300lb sports car. Physics 101.

Watch this for an example... semi vs suv (warning graphic content of a head on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzi8vu0An0

Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
For a long time I never saw a need for a truck in my life, and it made me wonder why people use these to get groceries when they’re such a gas hog. But looking into the RV world, I guess the best way to tow that RV trailer is a good truck. Now, if I could afford it, I don’t need a big RV trailer, maybe just a 22’ to 25’ trailer or maybe the shortest adequate 5th wheeler. So I wouldn’t need that 6.7L diesel F350 that gets 16 mpgs. The truck that gets me going is a decked out F150 3.5L ecoboost with Max Tow package in the Platinum or Limited editions… But for a few bucks more you could get that F350!

My only gripe is that Ford lies about their tow capacity. When the Toyota Tundra came out and boasted 10800 lbs towing capacity, the next year’s Ford F150 model magically had better tow capacity numbers than the Tundra. Check out this review where the 2009 5.4L F150 came out last: 2009 Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison Test and Video on Inside Line

Right now I still like the F150 because of the 3.5L ecoboost engine and because of it’s looks, interior, and features. The Dodge RAM is 2nd place to me, I don’t know much about the current Tundra. But having a truck is only something I’d consider if I won the Lotto and had an RV, otherwise, I don’t need a gas hog 6000 lb F150.

So if you got a truck what is it and what do you use it for? Do you tow with it and what do you tow? If you don’t tow anything then why do you drive a truck? If you wish you had a truck what would it be?

If you’re a truck expert what do you think the best truck is?

Now, if I had a truck, it’d rarely get driven because it’s a gas hog. My 2005 Dodge G.C. SXT gets 12 mpg city and 25.6 mpg hwy at 70 mph, so I rarely drive it for city use. In the 1 year I’ve owned it I only drove it a total of 1250 miles! I’d probably have to give the truck an occasional drive to charge up the battery, but my 2005 SXT has a direct 12V plug to battery which I connect a 15W solar panel to keep the battery charged… I can go a month without driving and the battery will still be topped off. I even occasionally just go into my minivan just to listen to music from cds in it.

Now when I drive or bike anywhere I pay attention to the trucks I see, and those modern trucks sure look gigantic! I never saw an F450 live yet that was used as a personal tow vehicle. Maybe I should visit a Ford dealer!
If this isn't going to be your daily driver, why are
You looking at a $40k+ new truck? Also, you may not think you need a diesel for towing, but it really does make a difference in the mountains.

My advise: get a used 7.3 powerstroke for under $10k. They are bulletproof and will start right up after sitting for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive