Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
2013 Ford Escape Reliability | U.S. News Best Cars

reliability score is "the rest" which is not very confidence inspiring.

Ford Escape Reliability

2013 Ford Escape has the lowest reliability rating
The 2013 Escape is an all new model, with new powertrains. There have been a couple recall issues. None of that would scare me off thinking there is a definate long term detriment to real world reliability.

The second site seems kind of anecdotal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
The 2013 Escape is an all new model, with new powertrains. There have been a couple recall issues. None of that would scare me off thinking there is a definate long term detriment to real world reliability.

The second site seems kind of anecdotal.

For me, a first-year run of a domestic model is a red flag.

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Get a compact SUV with a manual transmission. It will tow better and be faster than it's automatic counterpart.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
For me, a first-year run of a domestic model is a red flag.

2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews
It's fine if he wants to rule it out because of that. I lot of people do. Nothing wrong with that. However, I wonder why he points out he likes it if he has no intention of getting it.

I personally hate (and I cannot stress "hate" enough) the 2013 Escape. I think it is an overpriced, awful, below average small CUV in the marketplace with horrid driving dynamics, cheap interior (particularly in leather), lacking any kind of useable back seat space and a minimal of cargo space, and has underpowered engines that sells based on the razzle dazzle of the Cray Super-Computer like dashboard toys. I think far more SUV, for as much or less, can be had elsewhere.

So I am by no means going to build it up as some fabulous car in the marketplace. My position was based solely on the fact that he did like it... and if there was a car I wanted in it's first model year and I did not like the rest of the competition, I doubt I would settle for fear of a recal or lose trim piece at some point.

Instead of the Escape, I would recommend he go drive an Outback, or a Venza, or something similar. Bigger SUV's, bigger and more powerful engines. More substantial fuel economy. Better ride and handling dynamics. About the same money (or less) equivalently equipped.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
The Venza is a vastly underrated vehicle. I've driven the four and the six, and the four is shockingly peppy and the tiptronic is surprisingly crisp and fast. Great ride quality, good handling for what it is... as far as crossovers go, it would be near the top of my list if I were shipping for one. The six has plenty of get up and torque... they run in the low 30s new but you can find a used one well under thirty.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,307 times
Always thought of the Venza as more of a minivan than a crossover

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Get a compact SUV with a manual transmission. It will tow better and be faster than it's automatic counterpart.
Almost everything with a manual has a lower towing rating that the same powertrain with an automatic. It has been that way for a long time - even in pickup trucks.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Always thought of the Venza as more of a minivan than a crossover
The Venza is really a stylish Camry based station wagon.

Nothing is a minivan unless it has sliding doors.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
my wife has a Honda Pilot, and we love it, it has the 3.5l at 250hp and has plenty of torque for towing our 18" boat on a trip.. did anyone look at Pilot..

Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
Too bad the V6 is not an option in the new Rav. We have a Limited with awd, and even at our altitude in CO(7500), I never get tired of the acceleration. We towed a U-Haul trailer with a piano and other stuff to San Diego last Christmas and had no problems with maintaining 75mph over the grades. Going to sea level was like adding 40hp.
On another note> I drove a new F-150 Ecoboost V6 to AZ a few months ago. It was very quick, but the mileage was in the 17's for the long highway trip. I've done the same trip with Fords, Chevys, and a Ram, all with V8's and got around 20mpg. I think the V6 would do well if you stayed out of the boost, but in real world driving that is very hard to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive