Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's also practically impossible for a teen to be able to do any meaningfully mechanical work on his own car, so they are less likely to develop any bond with their car of the concept of hands-on care for it..
Hi jtur88--

I must disagree. I've been messing with cars ever since I started driving, and I'm 23 now. Of my friends, the two most mechanically-inclined are 18 and 19. Between the three of us, we can do pretty much anything. The only things I refuse to touch are motors and transmissions, but they'll do it. All you need is a Haynes repair manual ($9.99 used at half price books), a decent tool set, and you're well on your way.

Taking things apart and figuring out how to put it back together is really a lost art form. Nowadays, people Google everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
I pretty much limit my tinkering to my bike now. Hell, I'm so lazy I don't even change my own oil half the time anymore. Just go early to the shop and catch up on paperwork for an hour or so. Dunno. For some reason I still enjoy working on the bike where the car I really don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive