Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM

799 posts, read 2,430,573 times

Advertisements

I got hit up for an evaporator cleaning service yesterday for $65...on my 20k mile 2012 Camry.

They hit up every single person that walks in the door with this. I know this because they did the same thing when I brought in my wifes 2010 Sienna with 60k on it a month or two ago.

Im assuming this all developed after cars started being equipped with cabin air filters and that gives them access to spray the cleaning foam in?

It just pisses me off so bad. I cant imagine the only way a dealership can survive is to try to rip the face off of every person that walks in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

133 posts, read 207,300 times
If it looked weird to you one month ago, when they did it with your wife's car why did you let them do it again?

In general you should ask them to perform only what you came for, and then get home and check in your owners manual or online if it is needed at all and if you can do it by yourslef (this is at least what i do).

Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb_09 View Post
If it looked weird to you one month ago, when they did it with your wife's car why did you let them do it again?

In general you should ask them to perform only what you came for, and then get home and check in your owners manual or online if it is needed at all and if you can do it by yourslef (this is at least what i do).
Ahh....reading comprehension my friend. They tried to sell him the service and he declined to have it done.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah, i declined both times. In all my years, IVE never had a evaporator get restricted to the point it needed to be cleaned. Im sure it happens, but not often, and probably never under 125k/10 years unless someone lives in a terrible area, or smokes in their car.

What sucks is the product they use is a version of something industrial maintenance guys use on big HVAC coils. Its pretty trick stuff. Im 90% sure the dealership version is this:

BG Frigi Clean A C Evaporator Kit 7 Oz | eBay

I think this has all come about since cabin air filters became standard. Im assuming that is the access point?

Im sure there is a great application for thsi product, but hitting up every single person that walks into the door just seems like bad business.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,101,063 times
(I work in parts and service.)

A lot of times the service department will get aftermarket products with spiffs (profit potential for sales) and the personnel will be gung ho about making $$ on the side. Some, like this, are pretty stupid/unnecessary but they learn the lingo and talk unsuspecting people into using it.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,209,139 times
I'm sure they can get plenty of "worried about germs" suckers to fall for that service!

(The types who wipe the "germs" off shopping cart handles lately, etc.)

Old 05-17-2013, 02:14 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,211,534 times
It's funny you mentioned this because a stealer I used to deal w/ offered this service as well in an email. Ventilation service Same thing. No sale

Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM

3,502 posts, read 7,737,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
I got hit up for an evaporator cleaning service yesterday for $65...on my 20k mile 2012 Camry.
I'm a little confused, did you authorize the dealership to perform this service for you? If they just did it without asking me I would refuse to pay, but if they asked you and you said OK, don't see what your complaining about. When my Wife took her Infiniti in to be serviced they wanted to change the air filters for $60, I told her to tell them NO, I replaced them myself for less then $10.

Quote:
I think this has all come about since cabin air filters became standard. Im assuming that is the access point?
Probably, I don't see how they can clean the system with the cabin air filter in the way. It was behind the glove compartment on my Wife's Car, it's a pain to get to, but I replaced that one myself as well.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I'm a little confused, did you authorize the dealership to perform this service for you? If they just did it without asking me I would refuse to pay, but if they asked you and you said OK, don't see what your complaining about. When my Wife took her Infiniti in to be serviced they wanted to change the air filters for $60, I told her to tell them NO, I replaced them myself for less then $10.

Probably, I don't see how they can clean the system with the cabin air filter in the way. It was behind the glove compartment on my Wife's Car, it's a pain to get to, but I replaced that one myself as well.
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my "hit up" phrase. Maybe its a Texas thing. If someone hits you up, they are trying to sell you something, or trying to get you to do something. If they had done it, and tried to get me to pay afterwards, there would be a news story about shots fired at a Houston area dealership.

And by the cabin air filter becoming standard, its gives them an access point to spray the cleaner into the system...when they remove the cabin air filter.

Sorry, I speak/write Texan. Not to be confused with Yankee talk.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my "hit up" phrase. Maybe its a Texas thing. If someone hits you up, they are trying to sell you something, or trying to get you to do something. If they had done it, and tried to get me to pay afterwards, there would be a news story about shots fired at a Houston area dealership.

And by the cabin air filter becoming standard, its gives them an access point to spray the cleaner into the system...when they remove the cabin air filter.

Sorry, I speak/write Texan. Not to be confused with Yankee talk.
I understood the meaning just fine and thought it was a fairly common phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive