Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

My one Son has a Corvette he rarely drives so it racks up very few miles per year. He puts Mobil 1 in it and changes it once a year just because oil does become contaminated with acids and other things just from sitting in the engine. As for your car, the first oil change is always the most important as you are draining out small metal shavings and other contaminants from the manufacturing process. I would drain it now, then do it on a yearly basis if you don't hit the mileage limits of the computerized reminder.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Do an oil change about 7k and have it sent off to be tested, costs about $20 but it's worth it. They can tell you roughly how much more time you would have left. From that youll have a more accurate timeframe to change in the future.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but people who still use to 3 to 5k miles for a change are foolish on modern cars witg modern oil. Shops and Wal-Mart sure do love their custom though.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Dude change your oil at least every 3K miles--it is the life-blood of your car.
You haven't given one reason, even half credible, to justify changing the oil more frequently than the manufacturer says.

You must work for Jiffy Lube or Fram.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You haven't given one reason, even half credible, to justify changing the oil more frequently than the manufacturer says.

You must work for Jiffy Lube or Fram.
What is the manufactures main agenda?

Car sales is what so any recommendation they give is slanted towards early vehicle obsolescence and engine failure.

BTW your comment is rude and uncalled for.

How would you like it if I called you an arse for such bad behavior ?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
My 2005 f150 has 175,000 miles on it with service records since new, I change oil every 5,000. This engine still runs strong, was using it to pull a flatbed today. It is not uncommon for engines with 5,000 or 7,000 oil change intervals lasting 250,000 or more miles before having any issues. 3,000 mile oil change intervals are a thing of the past. With better engines, better synthetic oils as specified and quality filters don't sweat it.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
What if you just like a well oiled machine and peace of mind? I drive mostly locally, and left the synthetic oil in my tahoe for 4 months (around 2000 miles) over the winter. When I changed it, there was a little sludge on the plug. I never had that problem after a 3 month interval over the winter with the same amount of driving. For peace of mind, and being a man who likes a well oiled machine instead of bare minimum maintanence, I always recommend changing it earlier rather than later. It aint that expensive.......

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM

An extended oil change interval doesn't equate to deferred maintenance, nor is it any less "a well oiled machine." I am exacting on the oil I use in my vehicles and my machinery. Including my two cycle equipment.

Yes, I am comfortable with the maintenance schedules I follow. I am anal with the oils and filters I use. 3,000 miles intervals on a modern engine absolutely wasteful.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
An extended oil change interval doesn't equate to deferred maintenance, nor is it any less "a well oiled machine." I am exacting on the oil I use in my vehicles and my machinery. Including my two cycle equipment.

Yes, I am comfortable with the maintenance schedules I follow. I am anal with the oils and filters I use. 3,000 miles intervals on a modern engine absolutely wasteful.

It obviously IS deferred maintanence for me, since I found the sludge. The vaunted OLM said I still had 50% of oil life left. If I believed it, I'd have clogged oil passages, pickup screen, lifters, and lots of premature wear by now. It all comes down to peace of mind, and I don't mind spending $30 every 3 months to protect my $60,000 truck. If it were a lease, that's a different story, you only care about it lasting 3 or 4 years. But, I own my truck, and I want it well oiled. I guess in some part it comes down to opinion, also.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
It obviously IS deferred maintanence for me, since I found the sludge. The vaunted OLM said I still had 50% of oil life left. If I believed it, I'd have clogged oil passages, pickup screen, lifters, and lots of premature wear by now. It all comes down to peace of mind, and I don't mind spending $30 every 3 months to protect my $60,000 truck. If it were a lease, that's a different story, you only care about it lasting 3 or 4 years. But, I own my truck, and I want it well oiled. I guess in some part it comes down to opinion, also.
It sounds like you are using a crappy oil.

If you're having those issues with a $60k you have bigger issues than 3000 mile oil change. then again, I spend the extra money to buy a better oil. It costs me more than $30 to do an oil change. I don't have any sludge issues.

Let me put this to you in simpler terms. You claim to spend $30 energy 3,000 miles. I run motorcraft synthetic blend every 5,000 miles. Oil and filter run me $50. You at 6,000 miles have spent $60. Every time you change oil you run the risk of allowing dirt or other contaminates into your engine shortening its life.

Why would I waste time and money on something when I have zero, zilch, none, no adverse effects? Besides, I am following the manufacturer's schedule. Contrary to the assertions of some, the manufacturers want to sell reliable vehicles, so the conspiracy theory once again doesn't hold water.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
I'm pretty much an Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum user here. I don't change oil very often. In my Hyundai Tucson, I change it every 5-7k miles or so only because of the sand/dust, mountainous driving and heat in the climate being I live in El Paso, TX. In my Z06, I change it once a year regardless of how many miles I put on it, which isn't much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive