Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM

10 posts, read 23,444 times

Advertisements

I have an '84 Ford LTD Crown Vic I need to have moved in 48 hours. Brief history, when I bought it 3 years ago it had a blown head gasket but still ran pretty good. I did a rebuild, new piston rings, new gaskets, now it wont start.

I can get it to crank but not turn over fully. I have issues with the ignition, when I turn the key it does nothing and the clock dims.

I can bypass all of that though so after I bypass that and get juice strait from the battery to the solenoid and the S terminal on the solenoid i can get the starter to turn but it wont turn over fully, it just spins and spins.

It was correctly put in time, I get fuel to the injectors, starter passed several tests, solenoid past tests, various batteries same results, all good batteries, 13 volts in battery, 13 volts on the wires from the battery to the solenoid and two the starter from the solenoid.

New spark plugs too.

It just will not turn over and if I cant get it bumping period thru some means its gotta be junked. Any help will be appreciated guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Try replacing the TFI module on the side of the distributor.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
Air, fuel, fire.

Its CFI, so air and fuel are easy to check. Check spark at the plugs. I cant imagine its got the best wires on it, etc. Just because plugs are new doesnt mean its getting spark to them. They throw pip's too. A ton of money has been wasted on TFI modules when the problem is the pick up.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
A battery drains as you use it. Get a car battery charger and keep the battery fully charged as you continue to work on the vehicle.

Check all electrical connections... to ground, to engine, to starter. Be sure they are all clean and tight.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Check compression.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember View Post
....i can get the starter to turn but it wont turn over fully, it just spins and spins.
This seems totally conflicting.

When I hear that "it won't turn over fully," I assume that it cranks very slowly, one revolution at a time, which would indicate either a weak battery or bad connection.

When I hear "it just spins and spins" I assume that the engine is cranking fine but not firing on it's own.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One to Remember View Post
I can get it to crank but not turn over fully. I have issues with the ignition, when I turn the key it does nothing and the clock dims.

I can bypass all of that though so after I bypass that and get juice strait from the battery to the solenoid and the S terminal on the solenoid i can get the starter to turn but it wont turn over fully, it just spins and spins.

It was correctly put in time, I get fuel to the injectors, starter passed several tests, solenoid past tests, various batteries same results, all good batteries, 13 volts in battery, 13 volts on the wires from the battery to the solenoid and two the starter from the solenoid.

Check the following:

Fuse at the fuse block. Check the one for the ignition, check the one for the injectors, check for the one to the ECM. Also check that the fuse for the electric fuel pump isn't blown.

Check the coil where the 12 vdc hooks up at, to ensure the coil is getting power.

If you want to risk getting electrocuted, pull off a plug wire, insert a screw driver, and hold 1/4 from a spark plug. Then have a friend try and start the car, while you look for an arc to jump from the screwdriver to the spark plug. That will tell you if the coil is any good.

Check to ensure the injectors are getting power, and also ground. They might be getting fuel but if they're not opening/closing, the engine will never fire

When you turn on the ignition, can you hear the fuel pump priming?

Does your car have a rotary distributor? If so pop the cap off and have a buddy crank the engine. Does the rotor spin?

Also have you tried spraying a little bit of ether in the intake and then trying to start it? If so does it fire up, run for a second and then die?

Try all of these, and report back.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 AM

13,627 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This seems totally conflicting.

When I hear that "it won't turn over fully," I assume that it cranks very slowly, one revolution at a time, which would indicate either a weak battery or bad connection.

When I hear "it just spins and spins" I assume that the engine is cranking fine but not firing on it's own.

I was thinking that!

If it won't turn over fully, I'd consider the engine could still be too tight from the rebuild, and the starter just isn't up to the job, or, and this is a big or, the new head gasket has let water, or oil, into one or more of the cylinders. I that case, I'd say take the plugs out, and try turning it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive