Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times

Advertisements

That is an excellent way to put it...there are bars full of 100 mph boats but out on the lake their presence is lacking...a zillion mid 60mph boats and as the mph increases their sightings decrease ..I think the water/speed perception gives these guys the false impression that they are flying,but they don't much want to drop a GPS onboard with them and put their money where their mouth is....when I hear a guy blowing about his 100mph Ranger or Triton bass boat I just laugh and keep my mouth shut nowdays and let him tell it the way he wants to..hell,he ain't hurtin nothing and if it makes him feel good to tell it who am I to **** on his parade
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Cool, not too many can actually say they own a true 100mph boat. In the bars they are plentiful, out on the water it's a different story. I actually met Reggie Fountain , twice. Talk about a guy that will do whatever it takes to win.
Yeah, I think my go-fast boat days are gone. I not have a little 17' bowrider with a 4.3 in it. I put gas in it, and do oil changes other than that I just use it.
Why don't you try and find a super clean low mileage G8, do all the suspension upgrades that you can and if it bores you after a while then add a power adder ? That way you know exactly what is done to the car.
I drove a 10 second Fox body Mustang on the street for about 4 years. To get one of those in the 10's takes around 600hp. Now that car was set up for drag racing, so it had slicks on it the whole time. Even with slicks on the street, you could spin the tires pretty much all the way thru 3rd gear.. and you would have to steer the hell out of it. The few times I had it on a street tire it was just plain sick. At that hp range and more if you don't keep that car pointed in the right direction things will happen fast , too fast.

Very true statement. I've been 90's on the water more than I can count and over 100 just a couple of times. Things happen REALLY fast .. been in 4 mishaps. All could have been deadly but lucked out in all of them. A stuff, a hook , a flat spin and someone hooked in front of us at about 80ish in a poker run. Very scary.

Sure it could make 900hp... it all depends on the guy working the load on the dyno..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Cool, not too many can actually say they own a true 100mph boat. In the bars they are plentiful, out on the water it's a different story. I actually met Reggie Fountain , twice. Talk about a guy that will do whatever it takes to win. ....

Sure it could make 900hp... it all depends on the guy working the load on the dyno..
Didn't think of that little screw adjustment on the dyno! When we got ours set to rate a conservative rating, -you know the numbers that when in the car the guy goes to the track and runs numbers exactly like the dyno says it will and they come back happy setting, we have tested quite a few engines that wild hp claims were made, put on our dyno and seen more than 1 guy cry and get really P.O.'ed ! Thankfully not at us as they realize they were victims of creative marketing lies !!!
But seriously the best part to me is when their car's performance at the track matches what our dyno says the engine is making for hp and tq and the guy comes back and says I wish i would have had you do this thing instead of getting robbed. I think many of these late model shops are so trying to out hp everyone else that the numbers are inflated to act like they are best. And since 99.99 % of their customers will never have a car that dead hooks hard or a driver that can drive, they unfortunately get away with these bogus hp rating numbers.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
But seriously the best part to me is when their car's performance at the track matches what our dyno says the engine is making for hp and tq and the guy comes back and says I wish i would have had you do this thing instead of getting robbed. I think many of these late model shops are so trying to out hp everyone else that the numbers are inflated to act like they are best. And since 99.99 % of their customers will never have a car that dead hooks hard or a driver that can drive, they unfortunately get away with these bogus hp rating numbers.
well stated.

I've seen plenty of vids of "shop cars" that toss around crazy HP #'s, but you never see it hit the pavement. But i do know there are good shops that run honest #s and the cars those guys build can back it up at the track. I just watched a vid of our daugher/son in law's friend's civic making passes in the 1/4 in the 9.6's at over 150. Took his class at their Import wars. And last season he was running 9.7's.
Point being, his car is obviously pushing some insane HP, but it is legit and consistent/reliable.

Nothing backs up a shop's dyno claims, then a printout from the local track after a strong pass lol

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Nelson Racing Engines... drool

1000 HP Alien Intake Chevy LSX Daily Driver from Nelson Racing Engines. Tom Nelson. - YouTube

Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Holy Cr@p that turbo LSx sounds like a 747 Jet Turbine spooling up when under high boost....Me Likey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive