Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Your Taste In Automobiles Changed Over The Years?
Yes 57 60.00%
No 27 28.42%
I haven't reached that age yet 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

I started out in a 57 chevy that I bought used for 500 and put about 700 into it. Then went to a VW when in college. I then went in the army.After getting out I bought a 49 mercury with 10.000 miles on it Then a new 75 pontiac bonneville.Then A sucession of trucks Along With Honda Accord for the wife.Wife previously had trans ams and on compact car. How have a 2004 Camry and 2008 odessey.The Camry is about as small as I care to go personally. I love the full size cars like the 75 bonneville;but the quality had started to slip by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
I just bought a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with V6 and automatic transmission. I'm 59, two years retired, and have only owned standard transmission cars since I started driving at 16. Today one spends too much time in "crawl and stop, crawl and stop" traffic. Stick shift just doesn't cut it any more, plus my automatic is a four speed, unlike those from years past.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I was thinking about how most people change as they get older, and their taste in automobiles sometimes changes as well. I know over 20 years ago, if I were looking to buy a new automobile, I would have been looking at sporty models, like Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds, but nowadays, I look at trucks and SUVs.

I know the only thing I would never drive is mini-vans, probably because they just don't appeal to me.

Has your taste in automobiles changed as you got older?
Not in the least! I still lean toward WAY over powered and fun. What HAS changed are my needs. Where I used to be able to jump in a 400+ HP fiberglass bodied CJ-5 that weighed less than 1800# with me in it and tool around, it just can't fit 4 kids and a wife in addition to myself . The vehicles I REALLY, REALLY want are no longer practical for me and I have to suck it up and get what is best for the family right now. I have already told the wife that when the boys are old enough to start driving, I am living my high horsepower cravings on their vehicles if I can't have my own. The Mother in her will let me park some stupid over-powered toy for myself in the driveway again in a few years... Just waiting her out .

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,004 times
Back in the '60's I had a '59 Plymouth Sport Fury - sold it - But I got another one parked out in my garage.
Back in the '70's I had a AMC Gremlin - sold it - But I got another one parked out in my garage.
Back in the '80's I had a shorty Dodge Van - sold it - But I got another one parked out in my garage.
Driving those old cars sure makes a fellow feel young again.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,704 times
My taste has changed from big sedans (never liked sports cars and coupes) to SUV's and trucks.

All this while I used to think SUV's are big, lazy and underpowered, and I was so wrong!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:41 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
The highways are bad , need fixing , the bridges are falling down , the traffic is out of control , and , so is the price of fuel , insurance , car payments. Fact is folks, its time for a peoples car, one that will serve a real need , that everyone can afford , that can be recycled, doesn't pollute a lot , gets great mileage , and , no one wants to steal. Just think how insurance cost could be contained, repairs would be minuscule, or , always under warranty. Your payments would be small , and , you could never get " upside down" in the deprecation of your ride....... Its time for a Peoples car , and , one that works for the masses. Forget about bailing out the car factories every few years , with our tax dollars, lets just put the money into R & D , let them all make it , everything on a even playing field. The population is getting out of control , with more and more cars on the roads that are deteriorating cause there is a lack of funds to fix them. We will put a age limit on your car , then , you turn it in for a new one , and , your old car gets reborn again with recycled materials............Its time for a Peoples car , again........this time on a world scale.......think about it , as there is no where else to go in a shrinking global society , where we all will have to learn to get along with less , ...less money , and , less waste.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Not terribly so. I've always preferred four doors to two, be it a small or large car, so even as my hauling needs have changed/will change, I'll probably be looking for the same types of cars. Even when the family car was the SUV before the gas problems of today, I've been a fan of sedans, be them sport or luxury. I've also never been overly opposed to any type of car like some are: I hope for a marketplace that can sustain all, from tight-driving European, to good ol' American comfort. I even see a good use for SUV's and PU's, where as some "car enthusiasts" hate the larger, truck-based types and vice versa. All in all, I look at any type of car as warranted in its niche, even if no use to me, so my real focus is and has always been the competition for the best model in each type.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
My tastes haven't changed. I still like two seats, two doors, as low to the ground as possible, rear-wheel drive, manual transmission, throaty engine note, taut suspension, grippy tires, steering feel, strong seat bolstering, etc.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The highways are bad , need fixing , the bridges are falling down , the traffic is out of control , and , so is the price of fuel , insurance , car payments. Fact is folks, its time for a peoples car, one that will serve a real need , that everyone can afford , that can be recycled, doesn't pollute a lot , gets great mileage , and , no one wants to steal. Just think how insurance cost could be contained, repairs would be minuscule, or , always under warranty. Your payments would be small , and , you could never get " upside down" in the deprecation of your ride....... Its time for a Peoples car , and , one that works for the masses. Forget about bailing out the car factories every few years , with our tax dollars, lets just put the money into R & D , let them all make it , everything on a even playing field. The population is getting out of control , with more and more cars on the roads that are deteriorating cause there is a lack of funds to fix them. We will put a age limit on your car , then , you turn it in for a new one , and , your old car gets reborn again with recycled materials............Its time for a Peoples car , again........this time on a world scale.......think about it , as there is no where else to go in a shrinking global society , where we all will have to learn to get along with less , ...less money , and , less waste.
This 'peoples car' sounds pretty scary to me. I assume this 'people' car would be designed by the government and be very boring and may not fit my needs. Will I be given a choice in buying this people's car or buying what I like? What if I don't like the people's car. Also, what if I disagree with this age limit on a car. Will the government seize it on me? Sounds like some pretty scary scenarios.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
This 'peoples car' sounds pretty scary to me. I assume this 'people' car would be designed by the government and be very boring and may not fit my needs. Will I be given a choice in buying this people's car or buying what I like? What if I don't like the people's car. Also, what if I disagree with this age limit on a car. Will the government seize it on me? Sounds like some pretty scary scenarios.
On the surface , I know it sounds scary , however , no more than other things the Government has and is doing, " because its best for the public ".
we need the Peoples car , just too many cars now , with little planing as to what the future will deal us, as our population grows , and the environment deteriorates.
Japan has a system for aging autos and trucks , we should too. Yes , there should be exceptions for special needs , work vehicles, and collectors. Most people these days just want dependable transportation, at an affordable cost.
This is how we will get there, with out just bailing out the auto industry every few years. The VW Bug was the last peoples car , before that it was the Model T , we need another one............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive