Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,883,390 times

Advertisements

The older you get the more firm seats feel. Really though, foam can be molded in ways older systems like springs and layered components cannot. If you put motors and other electric systems into seats, the foams can be molded around them to provide the necessary compartments, something that springs and layered components would need many intensive hours of labor to make. With robotic manufacturing technologies, handfitting components, even in higher dollar luxury models is a thing of the past.

On the good side, you won't have that funny feeling years from now as a spring decides to tickle your backside as you sit down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,738,983 times
Thanks for all the intelligent, considered answers. I'm not happy about it, but now I have some good reasons. Thank you.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I remember when a luxury car was comfortable. Too bad you now have to buy extra cushions to sit in a car longer than one hour. Oh well.

Oh,that's just BS. I've driven plenty of newer cars for 5-6 hours straight with no issues. I drove my '02 PT Cruiser 17 hours to Orlando and was still comfortable when I got there. I drove 12 hours round trip to Hartford, CT in my BMW 7 series (with firm, well bolstered seats), in my MINI Cooper AND my Volt, and all were comfortable for that trip. I'm 50 and have been driving for 37 years, and I don't find modern seats uncomfortable in the slightest. In fact, I find those ugly pillow top seats to be THE most uncomfortable driving experience ever.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Is your living room couch firm and bolsetered? Is your bed firm and bolstered? To each his own...

Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,878,340 times
I have a bad back (several surgeries with ongoing issues) so I'm sensitive to this issue. It's very hit and miss. Personally, I need a firm, supportive seat. Recently rode in a new Chevy Silverado. My god that thing was painful to sit in! Cheap, squishy, with very little support at all.! You couldn't pay me to take a road trip in that thing. I've found volvo to have the best seats for my comfort.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I have a bad back (several surgeries with ongoing issues) so I'm sensitive to this issue. It's very hit and miss. Personally, I need a firm, supportive seat. Recently rode in a new Chevy Silverado. My god that thing was painful to sit in! Cheap, squishy, with very little support at all.! You couldn't pay me to take a road trip in that thing. I've found volvo to have the best seats for my comfort.
There you have it folks. Soft ≠ comfortable.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM

793 posts, read 1,412,163 times
Quote:
Is your living room couch firm and bolsetered? Is your bed firm and bolstered? To each his own...
Yes to the first. Only half yes to the second. No bolstering on the bed

Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
For years now it seems that all cars and trucks come with uncomfortable seats made of hard foam, and no springs at all. Even luxury cars. Anyone have any idea why? I remember plush, even pillow-top seats that felt like a couch. Now you gotta buy extra cushion for your car seats. The only things I can think of is they're trying to reduce weight and/or costs by eliminating springs, going for a sportier look, or just being cheap to maximize profits. I refuse to believe that younger car buyers aren't interested in comfort. No one has a hard couch in their home.
I'm with you. I like big, comfortable and soft car seats. (In a luxury or full-sized car.)

I assume you mean something like this?

The above are the seats in a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. I've rode in it about 5 times. Usually for a drive into the mountains. The seats are so comfortable, and the ride so smooth, I don't want to leave the car!

Here is the seat in a 1972 Lincoln...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 PM

YES!!!! The only seats that looked even better were in the Fleetwood Talisman!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 AM

890 posts, read 2,266,399 times
I considered buying an older Caddy Brougham (decided against it since it wouldn't fit in my garage) mostly because of the super comfortable seats! They are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive