Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Are the Honda Civics sold in the U.S. still imported from Japan? I thought they were built in a Ohio factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Just keep buying foreign and pretty soon you won't have a job to make your car payments.

Besides Mustangs are CLASIIC, RELIABLE, SEXY and FUEL EFFICIENT.
Classic? Yes. Reliable? Not really. Sexy? Cobras are, GTs are iffy, base V-6 models are atrocious. Fuel efficient? Compared to what? An Excursion? Yes. Compared to a Prius? No.

And most Japanese models are built here in the states, by AMERICAN workers, while GM and Ford have many models built in Mexico, Canada, China, etc.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Are the Honda Civics sold in the U.S. still imported from Japan? I thought they were built in a Ohio factory.
Guess where the parent company that gets the $$$ is.......

Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
The Civic is the bestest, duh.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:33 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I've finally narrowed down my final choices to three cars. Well here's the question, since I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to cars, I'm wondering which of these cars is the one that is known for being the most "reliable" aka fuel efficency, future maintenace costs, day to day reliability, etc...

I'm looking at the
08 Civic EX Coupe
08 Jetta S
08 Mustang Coupe
Based strictly on your criteria, the Civic is the clear-cut winner. You're approaching this from a financial perspective, and the Civic stands out in one more key area: resale value. The Civic holds its value better than the Mustang and Jetta, hands-down.

Since you're considering the Mustang, I assume that you might be looking for something that's fun to drive? If so, you might want to take a Civic Si for a spin before you make a final decision. The biggest potential drawback to the Si would be insurance (I assume you're relatively young?), but it's worth checking out.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Just keep buying foreign and pretty soon you won't have a job to make your car payments.
Buy domestic and support all the overpaid union workers and reward the domestic factories for making poorly engineered cars that don't age very well.

My Civics last for as long as I want to own them, one car has 370K miles on it, all have over 100K on their odometers. All my cars are paid for, and with the money I don't spend on car payments, I can buy other American products.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Buy domestic and support all the overpaid union workers and reward the domestic factories for making poorly engineered cars that don't age very well.

My Civics last for as long as I want to own them, one car has 370K miles on it, all have over 100K on their odometers. All my cars are paid for, and with the money I don't spend on car payments, I can buy other American products.
What about the Hondas made in the U.S? Are they "poorly engineered?"

Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about the Hondas made in the U.S? Are they "poorly engineered?"
We've already had this discussion before. We can re-hash it if you still insist on pretending like the country of assembly is the determining factor.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
We've already had this discussion before. We can re-hash it if you still insist on pretending like the country of assembly is the determining factor.
That doesn't answer my question.

Also, some of the Mustangs have/had the 4.6 L V-8 engine... the same proven engine used in Ford police cars and taxi cabs which can rack up hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal maintenance.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That doesn't answer my question.

Also, some of the Mustangs have/had the 4.6 L V-8 engine... the same proven engine used in Ford police cars and taxi cabs which can rack up hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal maintenance.
I already answered your question. You ignored it then, so I presume you intend to ignore it this time as well. But I'll go ahead and re-post it anyway in case I'm wrong. Hondas assembled in America are built to specifications designed by a Honda under management selected by and answerable to Honda, using materials designed and selected by Honda in a plant owned, designed, laid out and built to the specifications determined by Honda. Those factors determine build quality a lot more than the country where the car was assembled. The location of assembly has little to do with it as long as it's assembled in a place that has a history of manufacturing and heavy industry. It has much more to do with the materials, car design, component design and the design of the assembly process itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive