Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

Advertisements

Oh, and quick addition.
That $200 must be some sort of dealership sales 101 pitch. We lost 2 cars in 2 days back in 2004, and I had to drive out of state Monday (losses were Friday and Saturday morning) for work.
We basically went desperate and bought a new car out of dealership. That's when I first heard that $200 tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What exactly does dealer show you as his "invoice", when telling you how "great a deal" you are getting, and how poor they are, paying all that huge amount to manufacturer, and making only $200 of a car sale? As it smells of BS a mile away....
And that invoice is a basic Word printout, I can have some like that templated on my PC in 5 minutes and custom priced for anyone who wants to believe it's "the real invoice".

There are other factors that determine what kind of deal you're getting:

Dealer Holdback

Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
I haven't bought a new car in decades (it's against my religion now).
But when I did... this worked well:

Visit the dealer. Get the model number for what package you like.
Call your bank... their consumer loan dept.
Ask what the floor plan cost is on that model.

If the dealer turnover is strong... add something to this.
If the dealer inventory is idle... deduct something from this.

Don't pay for the "extra" stuff. Refuse.
Get up and leave the showroom.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
It doesn't need to be so complicated. You want to buy product X. Compare every source that is selling product X. Make a decision who is offering you the best deal. What the invoice says is irrelevant.

If you don't like any of the offers from the sellers then you simply don't buy.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It doesn't need to be so complicated. You want to buy product X. Compare every source that is selling product X. Make a decision who is offering you the best deal. What the invoice says is irrelevant.

If you don't like any of the offers from the sellers then you simply don't buy.

So I did. I am still chuckling over their faces.

Besides, I have very good bed side manners with my patients. One of the sales boys, when he sniffed that I am not going to buy right away at their terms, said "we don't care" and that just killed any my intentions to negotiate with them. This is the worst thing to tell a potential customer ever.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
You have to remember that the $200 profit (and certainly it is more than that) just represents a return on the investment, over and over again each time the dealer's investment (vehicle) sells. So if that turnaround is 15-20 times or more for that one sum (and for each vehicle) over the year it's not a half bad rate of return.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:09 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,926 times
Invoice is just a selling gimmic. Like someone said above, tell them what you are willing to pay.

Best time to buy is at the end of the month. Just in case they haven't sold their monthly quota yet.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
I always play one dealer against another one.
Also I use Costco website to get a competitive no-hassle quote as my base number for negotiation.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What exactly does dealer show you as his "invoice", when telling you how "great a deal" you are getting, and how poor they are, paying all that huge amount to manufacturer, and making only $200 of a car sale? As it smells of BS a mile away....
And that invoice is a basic Word printout, I can have some like that templated on my PC in 5 minutes and custom priced for anyone who wants to believe it's "the real invoice".
"Dealer Invoice" is just another sales pitch. Bottom line, you just aren't going to drive a car off the dealer's lot if they aren't making a profit on the deal.

They key is to not get screwed by falling in love with a specific car and getting suckered into paying more for it than you should.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I always play one dealer against another one.
Also I use Costco website to get a competitive no-hassle quote as my base number for negotiation.

And if the OP is eligible for USAA membership, they have a car buying service as well.

OP, with the internet these days, you can get quotes from multiple dealers via e-mail and play them against each other.

I bet dealers hate the internet since people are so much more informed these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive