Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 PM

57 posts, read 187,868 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a carfax and see several "vehicle sold" posts in it, yet it only has 2 owners. does this mean someone bought the car and returned it shortly after? I don't understand. Under the first owner it says vehicle sold on 09/27/2009, then sold again on 11/30/2009 heres its carfax:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2008 MAZDA MAZDA3

another car I'm looking at has "Accident reported Involving right rear impact". It doesn't say if its functional damage or not. does this mean its not functional damage, or the damage was not specified?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Looks like it went through multiple dealership owners (probably auction).

Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Maybe it was a rental.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Often when a new car gets wrecked the original dealer will fix it and then sell it to another dealer who will then try to unload it along with their other new or almost new demonstrators etc.. letting the title change hands several times can confuse a buyer enough that he has no idea as to where it came from which for the dealer is a good thing. I know a lady buying an almost new car and after she saw several body bolts missing she asked the salesman. He said "lady I dont want to even here about such things" I assume the car had indeed been wrecked.Often people will trade in the wrecked car after the insurance company fixes the car.It is fixed but they dont want it .......An unknowing buyer ends up with it

Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
I'm looking at a carfax and see several "vehicle sold" posts in it, yet it only has 2 owners. does this mean someone bought the car and returned it shortly after?
No, it means that the dealer had the vehicle (lease turn in or trade) but it was transfered to another dealer which created the sold record. They kept it but it wasn't selling so they sold it to another dealer. That dealer decided to send it to aution. Sold records are created when a dealer sells it to another dealer, a wholesaler, an auction house and even if transfered from one division of that dealer to another. Things like Buy-Back, Lemon Law, and Vehicle Reaquired, etc are indicators of sold vehicles being returned or turned in, but the average vehicle sold with nothing else is just the normal shuffling of used cars amongst dealers. However, this begs the question; if the vehicle is good and offered at a reasonable price, why isn't anyone buying it?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 AM

57 posts, read 187,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
No, it means that the dealer had the vehicle (lease turn in or trade) but it was transfered to another dealer which created the sold record. They kept it but it wasn't selling so they sold it to another dealer. That dealer decided to send it to aution. Sold records are created when a dealer sells it to another dealer, a wholesaler, an auction house and even if transfered from one division of that dealer to another. Things like Buy-Back, Lemon Law, and Vehicle Reaquired, etc are indicators of sold vehicles being returned or turned in, but the average vehicle sold with nothing else is just the normal shuffling of used cars amongst dealers. However, this begs the question; if the vehicle is good and offered at a reasonable price, why isn't anyone buying it?
hm, thanks. I guess theres nothing very fishy about that carfax then.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
hm, thanks. I guess theres nothing very fishy about that carfax then.
Fishy no, but i would still be concerned, if it were sold between dealers because it was not selling, you have to ask why? What issues are there with this car? It could have been just a price issue, or it could be something much more severe

Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
I'm looking at a carfax and see several "vehicle sold" posts in it, yet it only has 2 owners. does this mean someone bought the car and returned it shortly after? I don't understand. Under the first owner it says vehicle sold on 09/27/2009, then sold again on 11/30/2009 heres its carfax:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2008 MAZDA MAZDA3

another car I'm looking at has "Accident reported Involving right rear impact". It doesn't say if its functional damage or not. does this mean its not functional damage, or the damage was not specified?

thanks.

Who cares? Car is soon to be 6 years old, has 58K miles on it so if it is a good price and in good condition then buy it. I have owned brand new cars less than a year and traded them. I leased a Jeep once that I really hated, got rid of it in 10 months. Maybe the first owner had another kid and traded it for a minivan. Don't let a carfax report paralyze your decision making (paralysis by analysis ).

Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,208 times
It was sold to dealers (by dealers) many times.

Also, some dealers drive the car around with dealer plates while they have the car. So, they are putting some mils on the car though the car's title is not registered to them. Many times there is a real reason to put those miles; some times there isn't. The miles won't be much, but they can add up.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Honestly, instead of playing guesswork, simply pass on it. You will sleep better and unless you are at gunpoint and MUST buy today and exactly that car - there will be 2, 3, 4, 5 of them popping up for sale any time soon. That's how goes it with cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive