Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on people using cell phones while driving...? I personnally find that the majority of those drivers are a hazard to others on the road because they are not giving their full attention to operating a motor vehicle. Hopefully, laws will be passed to not allow cell phones in the hands of drivers. How many times have you gotten behind a driver just oblivious to reality going 30 mph in a 50 mph speed zone. People need to think safety on the road and these phones are a major distraction. If you gotta use it, pull off the road and talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 08:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
This thread topic was thoroughly hashed out some months ago .... do a search on it.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
This thread topic was thoroughly hashed out some months ago .... do a search on it.
Topics repeat all the time on this forum. If we didn't talk about the same things over and over again, we'd be dead.

Personally, I hate seeing people talk on cell phones and drive at the same time. I think it's super annoying. I wish there was a law against it -- that, and those boom box stereos in cars.

greenie

Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I have a bumper sticker....it reads "HANG UP AND DRIVE"

I have little or no problem with a hands free type of cell phone...however....people wandering down the road moveing from side to side in their lane at a speed 10-20 mph below existing traffic as they chit chat or WORSE....send text messages... are a hazzard and should be outlawed and considered a primary offense.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

I have little or no problem with a hands free type of cell phone...however....people wandering down the road moveing from side to side in their lane at a speed 10-20 mph below existing traffic as they chit chat or WORSE....send text messages... are a hazzard and should be outlawed and considered a primary offense.
I gave you a rep point for that! where can i get this bumper sticker?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

And this is where people just plain have it wrong. Whether or not a cell phone is hands-free has little to do with the level of distraction caused by carrying on a fully duplexed conversation where only the driver has a situational awareness of his surroundings. Either ban cell phones while driving or don't. Allowing hands-free devices believing that it "splits the difference" is misguided, because it doesn't. It is just as distracting as hands-on devices.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Between bluetooth/hands-free headsets, voice activated dialing and whatever else I can do, I still think it is a difficult situation.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And this is where people just plain have it wrong. Whether or not a cell phone is hands-free has little to do with the level of distraction caused by carrying on a fully duplexed conversation where only the driver has a situational awareness of his surroundings. Either ban cell phones while driving or don't. Allowing hands-free devices believing that it "splits the difference" is misguided, because it doesn't. It is just as distracting as hands-on devices.
I like the one that lets you keep both hands on the wheel!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I gave you a rep point for that! where can i get this bumper sticker?
I made mine on the computer...printed on adhesive paper.....crude but it works lol

Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
then we would also have to ban conversation between driver and passengers......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive