Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times

Advertisements

I'm a big proponent of using cruise control. Going steady instead of accelerating and weaving through traffic to get to the red light first is just a waste of gas and a danger to the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,103 times
Be easy on the gas pedal. Coast a lot and the number on thing I see people do... Don't race TO the red light.. I can't tell you how many times I see this everyday. People will race around you just to get to that red light and sit there... 9 times out of 10 I coast right on by them when the light changes and they do the same thing all over...

Also make sure you have taken everything you don't need out of the car and keep the tires inflated.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
It is not what you drive. It is HOW you drive.

list of gas saving tips from best to worst - Gas Savers - Fuel Efficiency Forum

Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times
I try to maintain speed. Its so annoying when someone is driving and they cant hold 65mph. No one I know can do this like I can. Its a big part of driving that no one seems to know how to do or even feel...

Its always a back and forth motion...jamming the gas pedal, letting off, jamming gas pedal, letting off.
Just hold it down and keep it steady. This kind of driving gets me nauseous.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I try to maintain speed. Its so annoying when someone is driving and they cant hold 65mph.

I can do this... But admittedly I use the cruise..

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I question your math.
As you should!

I know a lot of people think this will save them money and it doesn't. But for some people it does.
If someone thinks that spending $15,000 to $20,000 is going to save them money they are probably wrong. I mean if you want a motorcycle and you can afford one, great! Go buy one! But don't delude yourself into thinking you'll be saving money if that's not true. If someone thinks that spending 10, 15 or 20 grand on a Hog that gets marginally better gas mileage than their current daily driver, well they're probably very wrong.

But if you have a long commute, and you don't spend much on the bike, and you live in a state where you can ride in the winter (and you don't mind riding in the winter), it's possible.

Here's what happened to me:

My commute to work was 120 miles round trip. At the time I had a first generation Nissan Frontier that was paid for. I knew exactly how long a tank of gas would last. One tank = $50 to $60 (depending on the price of gas) = two round trips. So a full tank would last Monday and Tuesday and then I would have to fill up again Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Each day I spent between $25 to $30 to go to work and back. So one week of driving equaled about $150.

I should also mention that this does not count any travel that I did for work, going out to lunch, running errands, doing stuff on weekends, etc. $150 per week just to go to work and back Monday through Friday.

I kept watching Craigslist for deals and bought a used Kawasaki Vulcan 750 for $1600. I replaced a battery and radiator hose. Bought some gear: a full face helmet, gloves and jacket.

The Kawasaki gets a combined 42 mpg consistently. Sometimes slightly higher but usually around 42 mpg. I usually stop and fill it up once I hit reserve. It will go around 115 - 130 miles on 2.7 gallons of gas. Cost to fill up doing the same commute as I described above: around $8 to $9 per day. Cost per week: around $45

$150 - $45 = $105 (Amount saved per week.)

$105 * $4 = $420 (Amount saved per month.)

$1600 / $420 = 3.8

So I figure the bike paid for itself in around four months. Figure in the gear, MSF course and miscellaneous stuff, it's probably closer to five months.

This isn't for everyone. If your commute is under 40 miles, you probably won't save money by buying a motorcycle. If you will be spending a lot of money on the motorcycle in question, it'll take longer for it to pay for itself. And it likely never will pay for itself if we're talking about a $15,000+ Harley. If you only ride when it's perfect weather, say when the temp is between 65-75: you won't save money. If you can't or won't ride in the winter, don't expect to save money either. A parked bike isn't doing you any good.

But for some people that don't mind braving the rain, bugs and texting cagers: it's possible.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I try to maintain speed. Its so annoying when someone is driving and they cant hold 65mph. No one I know can do this like I can. Its a big part of driving that no one seems to know how to do or even feel...

Its always a back and forth motion...jamming the gas pedal, letting off, jamming gas pedal, letting off.
Just hold it down and keep it steady. This kind of driving gets me nauseous.
And with modern cars that have lock up torque converters this causes a constant lock, unlock, lock, unlock.... I don't think most people even understand it or pay attention to their tach. Your best gas milaege is when the TC is locked and stays there.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Nope!
Wrong again, John.

If the engine cools off after shutting it down, it uses more fuel upon a restart because the ECU will set the motor to run at a higher RPM for a few seconds or minutes until it reaches normal operating temperature.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
How to save gas....but an electric car
you mean save on gas but instead spend it on the premium it took to buy that electric equivalent version of a regular car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Fit $15k regular hatch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf $22k electric hatch (and don't forget the electric bill or the limited 100mi. range)

Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
How to save gas....

A few tips....

Don't carry a bunch of useless weight around

Don't do jackrabbit starts from stop lights and stop signs

Keep the tires properly inflated

Keep the car tuned

If the front end alignment is off, get it fixed

And as said, walk or ride a bicycle....especially if you're a bit on the portly side....not only are you saving gas by not carry extra weight but also getting exercise to prolong life and help shed lbs.
A very good accurate list to which I'll add.......Drive less and only when you have to.

Shopping on the net is a great way to save both fuel and time. Instead of you wasting fuel running all over shopping bring the world to you by shopping on the net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive