Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times

Advertisements

Instead of points for texting the police officer should walk up to your car with a bucket of water and make you drop the cell phone in it.

Its funny how we got along just fine without cell phones 20 years ago and now no one can live without them. Id love to not have a cell but they have become the norm unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
personally i think that anyone caught texting while driving should be publicly flogged. thirty lashes and fined heavily, say $10,000 and 1000 hours community service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Respectfully disagree

And I respectively disagree as well. rbohm's recommendation is far to lenient. I'd be happy with drawing as quartering.

Seriously, just the other day a young woman driving while texting came barreling down a narrow street in a SUV completely oblivious to the fact that she was driving the wrong way on a one way street. On the return she at least was driving the right way unfortunately her head was so buried in her phone texting while driving well over the posted 20 mph speed limit and completely oblivious to anything going on around her.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 AM

132 posts, read 182,494 times
Those who are incredibly stupid and clueless enough to text while driving need to have a nice, non-injury crash while engaging in their foolishness. Just enough for the airbags to deploy, and just maybe, get their attention; I won't hold my breath, though. No other cars or people involved, of course.
Just WHAT is so bloody important to send a text anyway??????? IDIOTS!!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Instead of points for texting the police officer should walk up to your car with a bucket of water and make you drop the cell phone in it.

Its funny how we got along just fine without cell phones 20 years ago and now no one can live without them. Id love to not have a cell but they have become the norm unfortunately.
It's funny how we got along without vehicles, heart surgery, food standards, polio vaccines, aspirin, speed limits, antibiotics, computers, GPS, safety regulations, prisons, and many, many, other things that have improved our lives.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post

Its funny how we got along just fine without cell phones 20 years ago and now no one can live without them.
We did just fine without cars 100 years ago.

We did just fine without computers 50 years ago.

Progress and time march on. The world moves much faster now, and the ability to conveniently contact anyone at any time is one of the reasons it works. And in the case of smartphones, I like one item that takes the place of twenty other ones.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If caught texting while driving
1st offense= car immediately impounded,Loss of license for 30 days,$5000 fine.
2nd offense=Car immediately impounded for no less than 6 months along with license for 6 months,$10000 fine.
3rd offense, no more car, no more license, minimum 1 year in jail.
If involved in accident fatality due to texting? default to offense 3 and deal with the addition of a manslaughter charge .

Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
We did just fine without cars 100 years ago.

We did just fine without computers 50 years ago.

Progress and time march on. The world moves much faster now, and the ability to conveniently contact anyone at any time is one of the reasons it works. And in the case of smartphones, I like one item that takes the place of twenty other ones.
You forgot to include a picture with your post.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You forgot to include a picture with your post.
Oh, right. Progress! Let's replace our cell phone nav units with paper again, 'cause that's not dangerous to use...

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It amazes me a law like this is necessary.

Do you need to be "intellectually gifted" to understand taking your eyes off the road while driving will cause an accident? Seems like basic common sense to me?????
Its not necessary. It's a waste of time and money. I take my eyes off the road dozens of times a minute looking in mirrors and other driving related things. Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
At least we are now seeing the police investigate drivers who have wrecks by taking their cell phones and checking the time they were using it. If they lie and say they don't have a phone the records can be checked anyway and then they are in more trouble, I hate cell phone drivers and try to cause them problems every chance I get.
You are a problem. Who died and made you cell phone cop. So help me if you give a "Problem" to someone ho may be having a medical emergency...

You worry about others to much and dont even realize that you are a problem on the roads.

Very few wrecks have their phone records checked by police. It's usually only fatality or serious injury wrecks that have reasonable suspicion that texting may have caused it. "They crashed" is not enough for a warrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Aren't there laws about paying attention while driving already? Why make a law specific about texting? What about playing a hand held game? Tying your shoes? Putting on makeup? Reading a book? The list could go on and on.
Exactly. Distracted driving is all it is. Doesnt matter if its texting, singing, playing steering wheel drums, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Everything computer or internet related has a "time stamp" on it. Edit a file and you will notice after the file name there is the last date and time modified (View/Details).

Messages sent or received have time stamps.

Internet pages are downloaded to a local device as files and each file will have a time stamp on it.

Also cell phone providers would need to keep track of the times things are sent or received and how long the transmissions were. Used for billing and statistics. So those records are not just on your phone!

Look at a regular land line phone bill and it will give the date and times of phone calls.

Edit: Notice in the upper left hand corner of this post it says what time I posted it!
Thats all find and dandy, but a warrant is still needed. There has to be reasonable suspicion to obtain too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If caught texting while driving
1st offense= car immediately impounded,Loss of license for 30 days,$5000 fine.
2nd offense=Car immediately impounded for no less than 6 months along with license for 6 months,$10000 fine.
3rd offense, no more car, no more license, minimum 1 year in jail.
If involved in accident fatality due to texting? default to offense 3 and deal with the addition of a manslaughter charge .
This has always been an interesting subject.

Why are we singling out texting? It should be any distraction. But, what is a distraction to me is not to you. Some people cant drive with a radio on. Most of us can. Some people can talk to a passenger fine and drive, while others cant. There is no line here because everybody is different.

Take away texting part and write the law for distracted driving. Now you just included anything. This is good. This can make turning your radio station into a infraction if you are not able to do so safely.

Now, keep it a secondary offense. This is needed for one reason only. You are NOT distracted if you are one that can do something without it affecting the other. After all, the definition of distracted is "Unable to concentrate because one's mind is preoccupied".

So, as a secondary offense, if you are observed doing anything other than driving and commit a moving violation, then you are busted.

Keep the penalty for distracted driving stiff though. We still want to discourage it.

Remember, long before cell phones, people were messing with CD players, cassette tapes, 8 tracks, etc. There has always been distracted driving and lots of it.

Now, as far as anyone under 18, no phone in hand period.

If you all want to keep going for these little bans, just solve it all by mandating 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 steering wheel positions. If your hands are on the wheel at all times, you cant do make up, radio, read, game, text, etc.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
If you all want to keep going for these little bans, just solve it all by mandating 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 steering wheel positions. If your hands are on the wheel at all times, you cant do make up, radio, read, game, text, etc.
or shift your manual trans car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive